“We felt special at the James”
Review of The James Chicago

The James Chicago
Ranked #44 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Ottawa, Canada
“We felt special at the James”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My friend and I stayed at the James this fall and were well rewarded. They ugraded us to a large, funky suite which definitely started us off on the right foot. The staff went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and were extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is well situated and close to everything - in fact, we rarely took a taxi and chose instead to walk all over Chicago. Their gym is amazing (and I'm a tough customer) and the beds are super comfy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Wanderlust A,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit, thanks to our well-supplied gym, upgraded suite, and especially that our friendly team made your experience memorable. Thank you for taking the time to write and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I spent 3 nights here in Sept 2013. The check-in service was brilliant. My room was lovely and the bed ever so comfortable - the pillows were not those terrible ones where you head sinks in!

I went to the spa for a massage the one day. The lady at the front desk of the spa was very polite, but the actual therapist I found to be a bit brash, rude and not very friendly. The spa itself though wasn't what I expected. I thought it would emulate the rest of the hotel so I was quite disappointed.

The location is brilliant and right off Michigan Ave - so shopping and coming back to the hotel was not a problem when walking. It is walking distance from the architecture cruises, Art museums and other tourist spots.

The staff were wonderful and accommodating.

I look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Chevara N,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored by your generous compliments of us, and especially that our comfortable beds and friendly team made your visit a great one. I would like to apologize for the experience with the spa; special attention to customer service is expected throughout all of our outlets, and I am sorry that the level of service did not meet our high standards. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and glad that this did not detract from an overall pleasant stay. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

Chicago
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Grat service and staff! Delivered cupcakes for my husband's birthday after I briefly mentioned it when making the reservation. Great atmosphere - would definitely stay here again! Very pleased with our experience!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Amy T,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you had such a great experience with us, thanks to the level of service provided by our team. It is an honor that you chose to celebrate your husband's birthday with us, and I look forward to welcoming you both back again soon!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel over marathon weekend when there were no other choices. I actually booked it on hotwire and got a great rate. The place is amazing. Room was one of the best Ive ever stayed in. Great bathroom. This place is a great size and in a modern classic building. Location is fine - on the River and pretty central - though a little uninspiring as a neighborhood but the James makes up for it in every other way. Stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Jsjstravel,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with us at The James Chicago. I am truly delighted that even after several months since your stay, you continue to be impressed by the room and our entire hotel. We are honored by your generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers and sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The James provides everything you should expect from a hotel....friendly, unpretentious and responsive staff combined with nice rooms, great location, wonderful amenities and good food! The rooms are modern and comfortable with great products

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jeffrey B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear your compliments of our amenities, convenient location and comfortable rooms. Most of all, I am proud of the service provided by our friendly team and that they assisted in making your experience a great one. Thank you again for writing and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The hotel is an older hotel with a nice style. The rooms rooms have both baseboard heat as well as thermostats so it is very difficult to regulate temperature. I could not sleep because the room gets warmer at night and the air is extremely dry.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Samantha B
Dear Samantha B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am sorry to hear that you experienced trouble regulating the temperature in your room and were uncomfortable during your stay. This is certainly not the experience we wish for any of our guests to have, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. This is not our expectation and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here over a business conference that was also located on the property. I was very pleased with this hotel. It's not quite 5 star, but is fairly close. The hotel is spectacularly clean and well-maintained and everything is modern and trendy.

I highly recommend this hotel, it is my favorite place that I have stayed in downtown Chicago

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank dustinthill
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear dustinthill,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that your enjoyed your stay and conference with us, thanks to our convenient location and rooms. Most of all, it is truly an honor to be considered as your favorite hotel in Chicago after your visit and I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!