“Great Stay!”

Ranked #43 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

First off, I want to say thank you to The James staff for making my experience an exceptional time. My girlfriend and I decided to celebrate our Valentines Day celebration a week early due to our work schedules etc. We decided to stay at The James to celebrate our early Valentines celebration and I was blown away by the wonderful service the James staff provided for us. I contacted The James and spoke with Bill to help make my surprise for my girlfriend an unforgettable experience. Bill had helped me with some special amenities for my room to make our stay at The James not only feel welcomed, but truly a time for romance and relaxation, something I had spoken with Bill about, and he made it happen. I recommend The James for any traveling couple or family who is looking for a wonderful unforgettable experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank roesch_mj
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear roesch_mj,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. The best compliment we can receive is to hear that it was the efforts of our team that made your experience a memorable one. Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience on Trip Advisor and for your generous recommendation of us to other travelers. I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Excellent, contemporary hotel, fantastic location, great place! The service was impeccable, one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. This is the second time we have stayed and will definitely be going back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Deb K
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Deb K,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us, thanks to our very comfortable beds and especially the outstanding service provided by our entire staff. Most of all, I am honored that you are a returning guest and that you plan to return again. Thank you for writing and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Minneapollis, Mn
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The James is a dream come true. The staff are so well trained and so guest friendly. I have not seen this quality of service, friendliness, professionalism in other hotels - and it is typical of all employees.
Great rooms and bathrooms - clean and contemporary.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank mbarkMinneapollis_Mn
Dear mbarkMinneapollis_Mn,

Thank your for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is an honor to hear your kind compliments of our team and how they continue to exceed your expectations each visit. I am humbled by and appreciate your continued loyalty to us and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Chicago
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My company recently changed its preferred hotel providers in Chicago and this was my first stay at The James. Pleasantly surprised and my new favorite hotel in Chicago. Top level service, fantastic in-room dining from what I understand is now considered the best steak house in Chicago, lively bar with tasty appetivers and cocktails, and if you have time to shop, Michigan Avenue is a block away.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jeffrey A,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your first stay with us, thanks to our in-room dining and especially our amazing team. It is humbling to hear that you consider us to be your favorite hotel in Chicago and I am honored by your compliments. Thank you again for taking the time to write and we look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed at the James with my partner from 30th Dec 2013 to 5th Jan 2014. We were in Chicago for a wedding and we chose the hotel simply because it was close to where the rest of the wedding contigent was staying and there happened to be a special offer on. To our surprise, the hotel turned out to be the most memorable experience of the trip apart from the wedding. The location of the hotel is very convenient and despite the snowy condition we walked everywhere. It is just around the corner from the Magnificent Mile's shopping district. There are also loads of restaurants and bars nearby. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful who gave us great instructions on how to get to places and how to post thing back home as we bought a little too much. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The gym was well equipped with towels and water, even ear phones. There were also free fruits. The food and cocktails at the bar are outstanding.

The room we stayed in was big, equipped with a king bed, table, plush chair, sofa and a well stocked pantry full of snacks and a selection of liquor in full size bottles. The 24 hour room service was particularly handy as we check into the hotel at 2am and were starving. The turn down service every eveninig was done discreetly with little touches that made us feel special chocolate and bath robes on the bed, full ice bucket, fresh distilled water by the bedside and pantry refilled. Any glasses or cups used during the day were replaced. I could go on and on about this lovely hotel...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Dear Fridando,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly honored to hear that we were one of the most memorable parts of your visit to the city, thanks to the efforts of our friendly team. I sincerely appreciate and am humbled by your compliments of our 24 hour room service, turndown services, and lobby bar. Thank you for taking the time to recommend us to fellow travelers on Trip Advisor and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome both you and your partner back the next time you visit Chicago!

Washington D.C.
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed for business as we had a business dinner at David Burke's Steakhouse.
Positively surprised - what appears to be an older building has been nicely upgraded inside.
Nice room - due to work I spent quite some time in the room. Good room service without breaking the bank as in other hotels.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear TooFrequentTraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks to our comfortable rooms, in-room dining and visit to David Burke's Primehouse. I am glad you chose to stay with us while on business and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This place is our home away from home .

A starbuck on the corner , movie theater a block away and shopping a 5 mins walk.

GrahamWich is close too if you ar e a graham Elliot fan .

Even sent my parents there once and they loved it ,

Staff is wonderful

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shannon M
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Shannon M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us, thanks to our convenient location and especially our wonderful team. I am truly honored that you felt at home during your visit, and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you return to Chicago!