“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I just stayed at the James for the first time. I was in Chicago on business, and wanted to stay at a non-businessy hotel. I loved the James. My room was spacious. The linens, comforter and pillow were super comfy. The turndown service, unexpected, was a great surprise. The staff was excellent from start to finish. I had one negative, and that was a less than wonderful room service meal. BUT, and this is KEY, the hotel handled the situation so professionally that I would definitely not let it keep me from staying here again. When I wrote and advised them about the meal, they immediately offered to remove it from my bill and apologized. Seeing as how most people had very good experiences with the room service meals, I'm thinking mine was probably a one off aberration. In any case, the hotel handled the situation so nicely that it reinforced the terrific impression I already had of the hotel and its staff. As an example, when i was leaving the hotel on a busy weekday morning, the doorperson not only was trying to help people get taxis, but was offering to get bottles of water for those who were waiting in line. Super friendly and nice staff. I will definitely stay again the next time I'm in Chicago.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank steven f
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear steven f,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, thanks to our comfortable rooms and especially our daily turndown service. I apologize again for any inconvenience with you room service meal, but am proud that our team was able to promptly assist with the matter and made up for it with their outstanding service. Thank you again for writing and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James Chicago soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Korean first
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Second stay at the The James was as good as the first. Bed/bedding: fabulous! Great location for shopping and dining. Bar is friendly, David Burke's Primehouse is expensive but so worth it. Even thought the restaurant was packed, conversation was possible. Yes, I will return!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Linda G
Dear Linda7240,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you are a returning guest and that your second stay was as great as your first. Thank you for your compliments of David Burke's Primehouse; I'm glad you were able to try their delicious menu during your visit. Most of all, I am glad that you will be back again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a long weekend in February. Overall great stay!

Goods...
- Location is fantastic. Right off the magnificent mile, ton of restaurants, shopping around the corner. Also steps away from Eataly Chicago. Which is just as great as New Yorks!
- Great, friendly staff
- Didn't try out their restaurants but their speakeasy Jimmy made us some mean cocktails
- Spacious rooms, comfy beds

Overall highly recommended. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lesleyinTO
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear lesleyinTO,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored by your compliments of us and that our comfortable rooms, friendly team, and new lounge Jimmy, made your experience a memorable one. I appreciate your generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers and especially that you will stay again. Thank you for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Buford, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Good hotel central located in town. Near Many places to eat or drink. Accommodations are good but pricey. Anything downtown will be that way though. If you are a budget shopper this is not your place. But if you are looking for a nice hotel with a good bar/ restaurant thenbrhis might be your place downtown.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear John M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your visit, thanks to our bar and David Burke's Primehouse. We do offer many great rates and specials throughout the year, which can be found on our website jameshotels.com or by giving us a call. Thank you again for visiting us and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Wheaton, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My stay at The James was wonderful. I was in town for meetings. It's central location was ideal! The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. There are so many good restaurants in the neighborhood, the problem is to decide "which one"!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Monty A
Dear Monty A,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit, thanks to our friendly team and that we are within walking distance to some of the best restaurants that the city has to offer. I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

This European-like hotel was very convenient and easy. Everyone was very helpful and extremely pleasant. I obtained our room from Hotwire where I didn't know what hotel we would receive. So I was a little concerned that the room might not be the best. It was great. Equally important was the friendliness of the staff. When we asked for the doorman to hail us a cab to go to the theater, he instead offered their private car and driver. It was a very nice treat. The location was fabulous with a lot of restaurants nearby. We had already reserved dinner at David Burke's steakhouse in the hotel which was an excellent choice. We shopped and had lunch the next day on Michigan Avenue which is just a two-block walk. Definitely try it - I just wished we would have stayed more than one night.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Jeff F
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear Jeff F,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your first visit with us, thanks to David Burke's Primehouse and our complimentary car service. Most of all, I am honored that our staff was so helpful throughout your visit and that you wished you could have stayed longer. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I had stayed here previously for work and was so excited to book the king loft suite again. The "movie" room was great to snuggle with the family and watch TV. The in room dining had amazing food. The staff was the most prompt and courteous of any hotel I have stayed at. We are already planning our next trip because of the great service and location!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Christopher B
Dear Christopher B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Loft King Suite and that it was comfortable for your stay. The best compliment we can receive is that the service provided by our team made your visit an outstanding one, and I am honored that because of it, you are planning on returning. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!