“Hotwire's best”

Ranked #43 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Baltimore, Maryland
“Hotwire's best”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We booked The James through Hotwire, so we had no idea which hotel we were reserving. It was a fantastic deal - great hotel, service and location. We have booked may hotels through Hotwire and Priceline, but this was by far the best.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Lindajill60,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is a true honor to hear that of the hotels you have booked via travel websites, we were your favorite. I appreciate your generous compliments of our friendly team and convenient location and that both attributed to a great experience. Thank you for writing and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Stephen Blackford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Great, modern beautiful hotel with modern luxury without being too fancy. The location is perfect and the staff knowledgeable. Walking distance from great shopping and restaurants. As a resident of the city, we stayed here to get a little escape.

Dear bpow514,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay-cation with us, thanks to our convenient location. I appreciate your compliments of our team, and especially that they were helpful with various suggestions. Thank you again for staying with us, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you need a get-away!

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The James was a wonderful location for a w/e getaway for 5 friends. Have to say I was disappointed in the housekeeping and some of the condition of the rooms. My friends had a room that actually had holes in the wall over the bed, where it looked like pictures had been. Not very attractive. The light over the bed is not really very conducive to reading in bed, luckily my Kindle is lit. It would have been nice to have directions for the hot pot as I had to ask how to heat the water. I also had to wait a long time for a hair dryer replacement when the one in my room didn't work. The price and the location were both excellent and these are nothing major.

Room Tip: Didn't use the pool but couldn't get the dots to go off!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear superrn_98,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am sorry to hear that the condition of the hotel is lacking in some aspects; this is certainly not the standard we set and I apologize for any inconvenience this caused. I am glad that despite this setback, you enjoyed our comfortable beds and your stay overall. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Went to Chicago for a getaway from life. The location of the hotel was fantastic! I booked my stay via priceline and got a very good deal. After reading some reviews I was excited for my stay, but I have to say it did not live up to expectations. Our first room smelt awful, like sewer water. I don't know that the hotel could do anything about it since I'm pretty sure it was just the smell from the outside. After spending $20 at bed bath and beyond on a candle I was able to actually tolerate being in the room. Then only one outlet in the room worked, which is frustrating. I went down to the front desk and they moved us rooms, she was nice about it, so the last two days of our stay we had a different room. I do believe we got stuck in this room as a "punishment" for asking to move rooms. On one side was a parking garage and the other was the cleaning ladies room that you could hear literally every sound/conversation that happened in that area. Other reviews talked about a turndown service, that never happened for us in any of our 5 nights we were there. Other reviews talked about the great products in the bathroom, ours were very watered down which is unfortunate. Overall it wasn't awful, but it wasn't very great.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Carly H,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while with us. As you noted, we are sorry for the issues you experienced and that you had to switch rooms as a result. Our team is always happy to assist with any request to find more comfortable accommodations and would never punish you by giving a lesser room. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline. I can be reached at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The more modern decor may seem spartan to some but we liked it. Our room with 2 double beds (our son was with us) was not real large but very comfortable. The only place to sit (other than the beds) was a nook with a table or a long wooden bench along the windows so if you watched TV, you had to be on the bed. Again, though not plush deluxe, we were comfortable. The staff is super friendly, drinks at the bar well mixed, and the location makes almost anything easily walk-able. The combination of busy Rush, Ontario, and Michigan did mean lots of traffic and siren noise but it did not bother us at night at all and the hotel interior was quiet. Our TV had the quirk of turning off sometimes while we were watching it and also turning itself briefly on and then off again a few times each night! Not a biggie, just a glitch. We'd be happy to stay here anytime, however.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Scott H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you enjoyed your visit, thanks to our comfortable rooms, convenient location, and especially our friendly team. I apologize for the issue with the television, but glad that this did not detract from an overall positive experience. Most of all, it is humbling that your first visit will not be your last and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Chicago
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was in town for a conference. All of the rooms at the Mariott were booked. So I did my own research and found The James was close to the Mariott, looked contemporary/urban/hipster-ish and it had great reviews. I decided to risk it and book a stay (typically I would have gone with a larger chain hotel but The James looked more interesting and was in the same price range as the Mariott) and I was very pleased upon arrival. I liked the 'less coroprate-more contemporary urban' feel of the hotel and I was able to get a room with a decent view of the city. I would definitely stay at The James again and have already reccomeneded it to friends. I might even bring my kids next time because they would love the city.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mary V,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your first visit with us, thanks to our convenient location to your conference and our boutique style. Most of all, we are honored by your generous recommendation of us to both friends and fellow travelers here on Trip Advisor. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

While the hotel looks great online there are some buyer beware caveats to staying here, the noise in front and side of the hotel will keep you awake and can't be drowned out by the TV. There is not a comfortable chair to be found in the rooms and finally their toiletries come in family size and are bolted to the wall so if you liked them you weren't taking any home with you. So many other great,quiet hotels in Chicago take a pass on this one.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear circuitdogg,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the experience you had while with us. Although our location is quite convenient, it does subject us to some city noise but we do not anticipate for it to be as disruptive as you described. However, we are always happy to move our guest's room to best accomodate your needs during you visit and I apologize that this was not done. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline, you may reach me directly at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and I look forward to speaking with you soon.