“The James Hotel Chicago”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #43 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“The James Hotel Chicago”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I can't say enough about this hotel. To begin with it was wonderful. The room was huge (a suite) with a comfortable bed dressed with crisp white linens and plenty of pillows. The bathroom was gigantic and super clean. The whole place was super clean. Two flat screen TVs was great as well. There is a terrific lobby bar called Jimmy's that was crowded and happening at all times of day and night. The bartenders were professional and friendly and knew how to make a drink. Very important!!! We always book a hotel with a lobby bar and this lobby bar was one of the best. The hotel is located on Rush and Ontario which is right in the middle of everything. It was easy to get around Chicago because of the location, public transportation and feet that like to walk. We will definitely stay here again. And the price was VERY reasonable. Less than $300 a night for a larger corner room with plenty of windows on an upper floor with great views.

Room Tip: Corner suite was bright with great views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Lamills,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly delighted to hear that you had a wonderful first experience with us, thanks to our convenient location, comfortable rooms, and lobby bar. Thank you for your compliments of our lounge Jimmy; it is great to hear that both the drinks and service were memorable. Most of all, it is an honor that you will stay with us again and I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were made to feel welcome. Check in was efficient and friendly and within 30 mins of arriving a bottle of wine and chocolates arrived for our anniversary.

The location is excellent, two minutes from the Magnificent Mile and an easy walking distance to Navy Pier and theatres.

The concierge desk was most helpful with directions and and some great restaurant recommendations.

The doormen were also extremely courteous and friendly.

Breakfast was also taken at the hotel with plenty of choice from granola through to full breakfast. Again friendly helpful staff.

Rooms are comfy lovely lights on dimmer switches , huge comfy beds and a well equiped bathroom with plenty of towels.

Rooms also have huge tv, safe, hairdryer and iron.

Free use of wifi and hotel computers to print boarding passes.

Pre check in requests can be made via the hotel website on arrival day. We asked for high floor quiet room and got a room on top floor away from the elevator.

All in all a great place to stay in the city - highly recommended.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Jackie B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. The best compliment I can hear about the hotel is how our amazing team made your visit a memorable one from start to finish, thanks to their attention to service. It was truly an honor that you chose to spend such a special occasion as your anniversary with us, and I am delighted that you had a great experience. Thank you again for your generous recommendation on Trip Advisor and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you return to Chicago!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I had a wonderful stay at the James Hotel Chicago. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms and gym are always very clean. It is in the perfect location of the downtown area. It walking distance of lots of stuff. Would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Kiley G,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us, thanks to our convenient location and clean rooms. I am especially proud of the outstanding service provided by our team and that they made your visit noteworthy. Thank you again for writing and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

London, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2014

When we booked here, we weren't sure, but after staying here I can tell you the James is one great hotel. Great location, just one block from the heart of Magnificent Mile. Nicely appointed rooms. Plus, we even saw a celebrity in the hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Glenn Y,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad that you had a delightful first visit with us, thanks to our convenient location and comfortable rooms. I sincerely appreciate your generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers on Trip Advisor and I hope to welcome you back again soon!

Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed for three nights and enjoyed the excellent amenities, including use of the "house car", turndown service, and bottle of water delivered daily. The rooms were average size and the bed was very comfortable. All of the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. The location is great for accessing Michigan Avenue and was an easy walk to the El. The only down side was the noise from the street, even on the 10th floor. Blaring horns and sirens all night. But, I think that is more about the city itself than the hotel. Perhaps the folk who are in charge should consider an passing an ordinance similar to NYC, where cab drivers are fined for using their horn.
Bring you earplugs and enjoy your stay. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Chicago.

Room Tip: Higher up will hopefully reduce noise.
Dear Gumby531,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit, thanks to our complimentary house car service and turndown. As you mentioned, our downtown location does subject us to some street noise, but I relieved that this did not negatively impact your stay. The best compliment I can receive is to hear about the excellent service provided by our team, and I am especially proud that everyone you came in contact with was helpful. Thank you again for your generous recommendation and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Tuckahoe, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My wife and I were given a stay at the James as a gift from my sister and Brother In-Law around the holidays to celebrate our wedding. They picked the perfect location. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and always greeted us with a smile. When we asked directions to various locations (since this was both of our first times in Chicago), the made sure they gave us step-by-step directions so we would not get lost. Our room upgrade to a King Studio was amazing! The room was the perfect size and was extremely clean and well kept. I had worked with Laurelin, one of the nicest people from concierge, and she assisted me in planning a rose petal turn down service in the best way possible.

Whenever I called the front desk or concierge, I was greeted by name and I could tell that the person on the end of the line was smiling. We had Spa treatments at the hotel as well and they left my wife and I in a state of complete and utter relaxation. This was a fantastic hotel and I look for to staying there again in the future!

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room that will be big enough to your liking. The King Studio was great!
1 Thank Rich B
Dear Rich B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your visit with us, thanks to Asha spa and especially the outstanding service provided by our team. It was an honor to have you with us while celebrating such a special occasion, and on behalf of the entire team, I would like to congratulate you on your recent marriage! Thank you again for taking the time to write and I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The room was very nice and the beds were extremely comfortable. The staff was extremely helpful. Unfortunately we were woken up by very loud guests 2 out of 3 nights, so I would suggest requesting a room far away from the elevator.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the elevator
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lanigan2000,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable rooms and that the service provided by our team made your visit a great one. I apologize for the inconvenience regarding noise from other guests but glad that it not detract much from an overall pleasant experience. Thank you again for writing and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!