“Excellent location, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The James Chicago

The James Chicago
Ranked #45 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent location, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

The James is located just a few minutes walk to the Magnificent Mile. The location is excellent, within walking distance to many restaurants and eateries. We stayed here during the NRA show in May 2014. The complimentary shuttle bus does not pick up direct from the hotel. Instead, the pick up is at a little bus stop across Marriott hotel (within 3mins walk from The James).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear christieang,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit during the National Restaurant Association show and that our location was convenient for the shuttle pick-up. Thank you for your compliments of our team and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Stephen Blackford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Pleasantville, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Great value, great design, great location. Linens are crisp and clean, beds are super comfortable. Can't beat it for it's location regardless of why you are visiting Chi town. Service was great from doorman to concierge. Rooms aren't huge but still feel comfortable. Repeat - great value for a boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Upper floors, a bit of street noise if your sleeping in.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mark R,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable visit, thanks to our comfortable beds and excellent service, but additionally that you felt we were a great value. Thank you for writing about your experience for fellow travelers on Trip Advisor and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Dear K M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, thanks to our modern décor, convenient location, and our friendly team. I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you return to Chicago!

Detroit, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is now my third stay (and third review) of the James. First the good: as usual, spectacular customer service, right in the heart of shopping and dining (Trader Joe's and Starbucks right across the street!), and a very clean, contemporary and sophisticated boutique property. There have been a few renovations since I stayed here last and the room refresh looks great. This is the first time I've used the concierge, wonderfully knowledgeable and was able to get us a shorter wait in line at the Grand Lux Cafe in the next block.

Now, the not-so-good: we stayed in a Studio Loft Suite on the 17th floor. The heating/cooling system is situated in the room such that the cold air blows directly on you when you are in bed. Brrrrrr!!! In order to keep from freezing, we had to put the unit on "auto" which meant that the room kept alternating from muggy to cold and every time the unit kicked on, it would wake us up and it runs loud. Did not make for good sleeping--which is too bad because the bed is very comfortable. Also, in addition to the two televisions, there is also a projection television. It seemed to be malfunctioning because when we tried to turn it off via remote control it kept going into "stand-by" mode and turning itself back on after about 3 minutes. I eventually had to climb up and turn off by using the power button on the projection unit itself.

And finally, the "it-would-have-been-nice": although I received the extra "perk" of "turn-down service" along with chocolates (!) the previous two times I've stayed here. . .we didn't experience that on this stay. I don't know if it's been discontinued. . .and the lack of it certainly didn't ruin our stay, but I wanted to mention it because other reviewers had. I also thought we might have received a little "perk" when we mentioned it was our wedding anniversary (on a previous stay, I received cupcakes for my birthday), but we did not. It was those "little" touches on my previous stays that seemed to be missing this time.

Overall, our stay was nice (except for the sleeping), but my previous two stays were a bit better. I do intend to stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside or top floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NuPwr319
Dear NuPwr319,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you are a returning guest and enjoyed your latest visit, thanks to the service provided by our concierge team. I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced, namely the air conditioning and turndown service. I will have our engineering department repair the room you stayed with us in, and turndown service is still available, but is now based upon request. I am glad that these setbacks would not deter you from visiting us again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to recoup your confidence in us!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

For about the same price as a chain hotel, you can have the charm, quality, and personal service of an upscale boutique just blocks away from the Magnificent Mile. And a complimentary car and driver too!

Also, the bed and pillows are amazing! I have never slept that well in my life! I just wanted to pack them up and take them home with me.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Suzette B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit, thanks to our very comfortable beds and complimentary car service. Thank you for your recommendation of us to fellow travelers on Trip Advisor and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed at The James Chicago for four nights while sightseeing in April 2014. It was a great launchpad to see the city.

SERVICE: The service, while perfectly adequately, was a bit lacking for a hotel of this calibre. The staff were very friendly, but at times I would have to flag someone down for assistance. Also, the bike rentals advertised by the hotel were not yet available for the season at the time I was staying there.

VALUE: I got a great deal on Priceline. Your experience may vary.

SLEEP QUALITY: Great beds, although the bustle from E. Ontario St was a bit a loud on the weekend.

CLEANLINESS: The room was clean at all times.

LOCATION: Great location within a few minutes' walk of both the Red Line and N. Michigan Ave. Lots of places to eat in the area (including a new Eataly), although I had difficulty finding someplace that was open late on a Sunday. (In these circumstances, I would recommend heading over to Pizzeria Due). Directly opposite is a Trader Joe's if you need groceries.

ROOMS: Modern, but a little cold. Great shower pressure in the bathroom.

SPA: By far the best hotel gym I've seen in some time. A wide variety of new cardio and weight machines, as well as a full complement of free weights. The citrus water in pitchers was a nice touch. One quibble - they seemed to have plates for barbells, but no actual barbells, although I could have been mistaken.

The James Chicago is a fine hotel. While perhaps not on par with five-stars it offers good value in a great location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Aaron R
Dear Aaron R,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that our location, clean rooms, and especially our large gym attributed to an enjoyable experience with us. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent service to all of our guests, and I apologize if your felt it was a bit lacking as this certainly does not meet our expectations. Thank you again for writing such an informative review and I hope you will consider us again the next time you return to Chicago.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Held our daughters wedding there and everything was done with class and we were treated like royalty. The food was fabulous. The service we got was wonderful. They went above ad beynd to make everything great for us.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Rozanne M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It was truly an honor that you chose to celebrate your daughter's wedding with us and I am delighted that our team was able to exceed your expectations. Thank you for including us on such a special day and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your entire family back again soon!