“Hip but slightly shabby”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #45 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel simply had fewer amenities than I had hoped. To be fair, the bed was very comfortable, and the staff was excellent and attentive, but the simple fact that the rooms were older and slightly shabbier than the rooms of peer hotels, and included fewer built in luxuries, was enough to make me feel less pampered than I would have liked.

In fairness, the room was very hip and very clean, and the bed was extremely comfortable. In a typical hotel that I was expecting to simply crash in, with no expectations of luxury, I would have been more than satisfied. Its just that the billing of the hotel put me in mind of a more luxurious setting.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James F
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear James F,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your visit with us. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the room and amenities; it is not our standard to have a "shabby" room for our guests, and I would appreciate the opportunity to find out what needs to be improved. You may contact me directly at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. I am glad that despite this setback, you enjoyed our comfortable beds and the service provided by our team, but I certainly hope we will have the opportunity to regain you confidence in us. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

It's just that easy, from check in where a small problem turned into a fantastic result to a fabulous room, the best staff ever, I've stayed at fantastic places and this staff is better than Disney and that says a lot in my eyes. Dog friendly policy, walking distance to everything and friendly upbeat boutique style. I will always stay here.

Stayed: July 2014
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Frank K,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that our front desk team was able to resolve the issue and you were satisfied with the resulting room. I am truly honored by your compliments of our entire team, and I am glad that you agree that they are among the best in the business. Most of all, its great that your first stay will not be your last and look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I've stayed here twice and had a great time on both occasions. The rooms are clean and comfortable. My wife appreciated the high quality bath products.

The staff is excellent. They are all very friendly, helpful and professional.

The hotel is in a great location for playing around the city. They offer bikes to use for free, which we took advantage of and rode over to the beautiful lake shore path.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear maraku,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I truly appreciate your generous compliments of our bicycles, Intelligent Nutrient bath products, and especially the excellent service provided by our entire team. Most of all, it is truly an honor to hear that this was your second visit and I appreciate your continued loyalty. Thank you again for writing and I hope we will welcome you back to The James again soon!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone interested in being close to any major attractions. Literally steps away from Michigan Ave and minutes away from Navy Pier. The staff is excellent!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Lashanda J,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that our location was convenient to the places you wanted to visit while in town, and especially that it was our excellent team that made your visit a memorable one. It is truly humbling to receive such a generous recommendation to fellow travelers and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Great value for location. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was comfortable. Overall a good value for Chicago. The only issue I had was that the overhead lighting was tricky to change. Otherwise it was a comfortable and pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Matthew A,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit, thanks to our friendly team and comfortable rooms. I apologize for any inconvenience with the overhead lighting, but glad that it did not detract from an overall pleasant visit. Thank you again for writing, and on behalf of all of us at The James we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Chicago is an amazing city. The James is ideally located and the staff cannot be any friendlier. Advice on where to go, places to eat etc. Lovely room, comfy bed. Could hear some street noise but the sirens just added to the atmosphere. Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear HayzieD,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is an honor to hear you enjoyed your visit, thanks to our convenient location, comfortable beds, and most of all, the friendly service provided by our team. I am humbled by your generous recommendation to fellow travelers on TripAdvisor and sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The James hotel is very centrally located for seeing Chicago attractions and restaurants. Being close to Eataly and a Whole Foods was very convenient as we were travelling with two picky eaters. The hotel staff were fabulous and the rooms were pleasant and spotless. The hotel gave our children very thoughtful loot bags with a beautiful colouring book, wooden aeroplane, crayons, and a cookbook. This is a charming hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear brownkitten,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is a pleasure to hear that your children enjoyed our Lil' James amenities and that both the location and staff also assisted in making your visit a great one. Thank you for your recommendation of us on TripAdvisor and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back again soon!