“Wonderful!”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #46 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I traveled to Chicago for a long-planned trip there last week. We had read and heard many great things about The James and were not disappointed... First, let me say that the concierge staff are terrific! Bill, the head concierge, answered all our questions and made all the arrangements for the tours and sites we wanted to visit. Every detail was addressed. We even requested changes be made to our tour reservations which was handled with professionalism and good nature. All of the hotel staff are first-rate, as are the facilities. Our room was perfectly appointed, clean, very quiet and spacious.

We highly recommend The James Chicago... It's only steps from the Magnificent Mile and the staff make you feel right at home.

We fell in love with the city and with this hotel. This was our first trip to Chicago, but it most certainly won't be our last... and The James will be our hotel of choice - for sure!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear denis_tessier745,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is an honor to hear that it was the efforts of our concierge team that assisted in making your first visit to Chicago a memorable one. Most of all, it is humbling that you recommended us to fellow travelers and especially that you plan to return the next time you visit Chicago. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

There are newer reviews for The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at The James during the 4th of July weekend and it was absolutely amazing! The staff was incredibly helpful and the hotel has a great location right off Michigan Ave! I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Tabatha J,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I truly appreciate your generous compliments of our helpful team, and that they assisted in making your weekend a memorable one. It is truly an honor that you recommended us here on TripAdvisor and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there last week on vacation absolutely beautiful hotel great service great staff right in the heart of everything, when we are in Chicago again we will definitely stay at the James Hotel, you will pay a little bit more but you definitely get what you pay for.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank osugrad94

Dear osugrad94,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is an honor to receive your generous compliments of both our location and especially the service provided by our entire team. Most of all, we are humbled by your generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers and look forward to welcoming both you and your wife back again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed here this weekend with my sister and was really impressed with the quality of service. The hotel was beautiful and in an amazing area. Walking distance to basically everything. Friendly doorman and the complimentary car service really came in handy a few nights. The rooms are modern and spacious and very comfy and clean. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again and at there other properties.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear tracie k,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear your compliments of our house car, location, and especially the service that made your visit a memorable one. I sincerely appreciate your recommendation of us to fellow travelers on TripAdvisor and hope you will try our locations in New York and Miami Beach as well. Thank you again for writing and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The James goes above and beyond to make us and our large dog feel welcome. . . The dog is not just tolerated, but adored and petted, which we LOVE. We look forward to our two stays a year and wish every hotel could be the James. It's luxurious but so, so worth it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank janetf0

Dear janetf0,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your most recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is truly an honor to hear that you are a returning guest, and have enjoyed your visits since our wonderful team makes you and your dog feel at home. I am humbled by your continued loyalty to us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel simply had fewer amenities than I had hoped. To be fair, the bed was very comfortable, and the staff was excellent and attentive, but the simple fact that the rooms were older and slightly shabbier than the rooms of peer hotels, and included fewer built in luxuries, was enough to make me feel less pampered than I would have liked.

In fairness, the room was very hip and very clean, and the bed was extremely comfortable. In a typical hotel that I was expecting to simply crash in, with no expectations of luxury, I would have been more than satisfied. Its just that the billing of the hotel put me in mind of a more luxurious setting.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank James F
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear James F,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your visit with us. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the room and amenities; it is not our standard to have a "shabby" room for our guests, and I would appreciate the opportunity to find out what needs to be improved. You may contact me directly at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. I am glad that despite this setback, you enjoyed our comfortable beds and the service provided by our team, but I certainly hope we will have the opportunity to regain you confidence in us. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

It's just that easy, from check in where a small problem turned into a fantastic result to a fabulous room, the best staff ever, I've stayed at fantastic places and this staff is better than Disney and that says a lot in my eyes. Dog friendly policy, walking distance to everything and friendly upbeat boutique style. I will always stay here.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Frank K,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that our front desk team was able to resolve the issue and you were satisfied with the resulting room. I am truly honored by your compliments of our entire team, and I am glad that you agree that they are among the best in the business. Most of all, its great that your first stay will not be your last and look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!