“Nice place, excellent location - but noisy!”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #47 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We loved the central location of this hotel, and were impressed by the professionalism of the staff we met. The room styles are retro and decent in size. We did have a toilet flushing issue on the first evening but this was all sorted quickly. Our main bugbear would be the noise coming from outside. Of course, you expect plenty of street noise when you are in the middle of a city, but I don't expect to hear it seeping through the walls and windows when inside my hotel room. Where is the sound proofing?? Come on, The James - you can definitely do better on this one. For that reason, when returning to Chicago I would look for a hotel with a similar location to this one, but not The James again. A shame really, as everything else was great, including breakfast at The Primehouse next to the lobby.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dacuk
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Dacuk,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am thankful for your compliments of our team and David Burke's Primehouse, but disappointed that you do not plan to return due to the noise. We understand that city noise can be a concern for some of our guests, so we have a number of rooms that do not directly face the street and are very quiet. I appreciate your candid feedback as we are always looking to improve, and your comments certainly assist us review our current offerings. We always aim to exceed our guests' expectations and I sincerely hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again and deliver The James experience you deserve.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The James offers a vacation within a vacation. The staff takes every opportunity to ensure your comfort and convenience. From the doormen to housekeeping, everyone ensured that I was comfortable during my stay. They were genuine in their concern and prompt attention to every detail.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Benika T,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. The best compliment I can receive is to hear how it was the efforts and genuine concern of our team that made your visit a memorable one. Thank you for sharing you compliments on TripAdvisor and on behalf of all of us at The James, we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Chicago!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The location was perfect - rooms are comfortable, a little small (full size beds). Also found the hallways very dark. Staff very friendly and helpful. I really HATED the bathroom door - sliding (like barn style) very heavy and hard to open and close. Other than that would stay there again. Like I said the location is perfect.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear buckieye,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your candid feedback regarding our bathroom doors, as we are always looking for areas of improvement and your comments help us in this process. I am glad that this did not negatively impact your visit, and that you would return thanks to both our convenient location and helpful team. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Very nice boutique style hotel at a great location. Even though some of the rooms were different they all had a very pleasant and cozy feeling to them. We felt very welcome and truly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Brage J,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is an honor that you had a great visit with us, thanks to our convenient location, cozy rooms, and our welcoming staff. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

The location , service , room facilities together with the friendly staff made thus a very very comfortable stay in downtown Chicago !
I was on my first trip to Chicago by myself , but the staff took care of me at every step and I was very appreciative of that !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Gargi S,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you had a comfortable visit, thanks to our location but most of all, the outstanding service provided by our entire team. I am proud that they were able to make your visit alone to Chicago a great one, and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at The James because they have a decent military discount, which was greatly appreciated. The staff was all friendly but didn't go out of their way to make us feel welcome. I had talked to the front desk a couple of days before our arrival to let them know we were in the city as a way to keep my friend's mind off of the fact that her husband had just been deployed to the Middle East and would be gone for over a year. I had hoped they would help us 'celebrate' and I even asked about paying for an upgrade, but they were not helpful at all. Our room was at the very end of the hall and looked over a roof, but because we weren't in our room much, it wasn't a huge deal. The bathrooms are nice and all of the mirrors are wonderful for two women to get ready! The location is ideal if you are planning on shopping on Michigan Avenue and also using the subway.

We had a nice time, nothing spectacular, but I would stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Chicago086,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am sorry to hear that we were unable to accommodate with your upgrade request; we are always delighted to make someone's occasion more special, especially for those serving in the military. I am sorry that the room was not available, but most of all that our team was unhelpful with this request. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent service that exceeds your expectations and I am sorry that this was not your experience. Despite this setback, I am glad you and your friends had an enjoyable weekend and I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with The James experience that you deserve.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Overall I had a very good stay at the James. It was in a very convenient location, and I had efficient and pleasant interactions with staff. I also appreciated the amenities and wish I could have taken advantage of the spa. A discount coupon for the spa and a mini area map included with the room key were nice touches. The hotel artwork and decor were also a change from the more typical sterile hotel environments. Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Kathleen P,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored by your compliments of our artwork as well as the service provided by our friendly team. Most of all, it is humbling to receive your generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!