“Great Location! Free bikes and helpful concierge.”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #45 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed at The James for a 3 day business trip. I felt like someone special from the time I got out of the taxi. When I had arrived, I realized that I lost my driver's license somewhere from the time I got on the plane until check-in when the associate asked me for ID. The concierge was very helpful in providing me with phone numbers to call to report lost and found. She was very sympathetic and was full of positive energy, that I didn't let it spoil the whole trip.

The room was very comfortable and a little eclectic. Had a very hip ambiance. View was not so great as I was looking at the back of another building. Also, I was a little annoyed that I was charged $40 for damaged linen (fitted sheet only). Room rate was not bad because I got the conference rate.

But, the hotel hosted the conference very well. And felt special even when checking out and hopping into the taxi to get back to the airport.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear tripsrfun07,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed having the conference with us, and especially that our team made your visit memorable. I apologize for any inconvenience regarding the linen charge; if you have any questions about this, feel free to reach out to either our front desk or accounting department who will be able to look into this for you, by calling (312) 337-1000 or emailing me at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My stay at the James, in June was made more pleasant by the friendly and efficient staff. The room was comfortable with good linens, towels and amenities. This is not a luxury hotel, but it is a welcoming and comfortable one. The location is perfect for shopping, museums, dining, etc. Laurelin Hefter, the concierge, was most helpful and the restaurant staff made dining a treat. I hope to return many times.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Jeanie D,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted that you had a great experience, thanks to the service provided by our concierge and David Burke's Primehouse team. Most of all, it is an honor that you hope to return and on behalf of the entire James team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The James Hotel exceeded our expectations in all the important categories, staff friendliness and attentivness, room quality, and location.

Lauerlin was a joy to work with in plannig our trip.

Can't wait to come back to The James on our next trip to Chicago!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Thank Frederick & Mar... Z

Dear Frederick & Mar...Z,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored that your first visit exceeded expectations, thanks to the excellent service provided throughout, especially Laurelin. Most of all, it is great that you plan to return again; on behalf of the entire James team, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hip updated hotel in a great location in River North 1 block from Magnificent Mile. Lovely rooms and staff could not have been more helpful. Looking forward to staying here again in the future (perhaps next Lollapalooza.)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear DaytonaD,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am grateful to receive such compliments of our convenient location, but especially the excellent service provided by our entire team. Most of all, it is an honor that your fist visit will not be your last and look forward to welcoming you back next year for Lollapalooza!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my 1st time in Chicago and this hotel helped make it more than a work trip. Room was very clean and comfortable, staff was attentive, food was delicious! I would definitely stay here again.

Our conference was held at the James and everything was well done. Our breakfasts and lunches were wonderful! And the one night we had dinner was magnificent! Order the filet. It was cooked to perfection!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear sciencerules03,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you had a great first experience in Chicago, thanks to our attentive team. I also appreciate your compliments of our restaurant, David Burke's Primehouse and glad you enjoyed their delicious menu. Thank you again for visiting us, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Location
The James is in a perfect location! It is a block from Michigan Avenue which is perfect if you enjoy great shopping. It is close to everything! We walked everywhere, and we were always greeted by the friendliest doormen when we returned to the hotel. It is also very close to a subway entry, so even if we wanted to travel to places greater than walking distance, we could always walk a couple of blocks and go by subway.

Hotel
Awesome Awesome Awesome! When we first arrived we were greeted and checked in by James. He was extremely charming and helpful. We arrived early, so the hotel checked our bags in and held them for us as we went out for lunch and waited on our room. Luckily we had an entire day planned on arrival, and we didn't need to be checked in until later because our room wasn't available until 2pm. Checkout at this hotel is 2pm, so people stay much later than the average 11:00am checkout which makes it harder to get an early check in. As I stated though, we already had a lot planned for the day that we arrived so we didn't need our room early. This hotel is very popular, and it appears to always be booked, so if you need an early check in, you might not be able to get that with this hotel. The hotel is BEAUTIFUL. The rooms are very modern and chic! I felt like I was in a downtown loft, and this is what I loved about the room. We stayed in one of the loft rooms which was very spacious! There was a full bar, nice shower products, and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Seriously. I slept like a newborn baby my entire trip! The hotel was booked, but it was still quiet. We weren't able to hear the people next to us or their TVs, music, etc. at any point during our stay.

No pool :( At least I don't remember seeing one. Chicago has great beaches, so we really didn't need a pool at the hotel, but a pool would have been nice.
The gym at this hotel is probably one of the best gyms we have seen in a hotel. It is large with plenty of free weights and plenty of cardio machines. On the one day that we planned to go to the bar at the hotel, we stopped by the room first to drop off our shopping bags and walked into a "Happy Anniversary" surprise. The James Hotel had provided us with a dessert and champagne, so we stayed in the room and enjoyed our champagne. Thank you James because I told him very briefly that we were celebrating our anniversary on check in, and he remembered! We really appreciate you James and the James hotel for such a great experience.

The restaurant at the hotel looked very nice, but we are vegetarians and they didn't have many options, so we never ate there. It was always busy, and there are lounge areas outside the restaurant close to the bar, so there were always plenty of people around.

Complimentary car within 2 miles of hotel. Now this is awesome! So my feet were killing me one day from shoes that I should have left at home, so we decided to take the complimentary car to dinner one night. Our driver was very safe and very nice. The car will take you to your destination (must be within 2 mile radius of the hotel), but I don't believe it will pick you up from destinations and return you to the hotel. Its a first come, first serve basis, and the car was always available because most people walk around downtown chicago. Like I said, we just needed it for one night :) We walked back to the hotel.

There are also complimentary bikes that we didn't use, but just having that option is awesome. A lot of people bike around chicago through the city's Divvy system which cost $7 for 24 hours, but you can only use the bike in 30 minute intervals. The bikes at The James hotel can be used at any time, and you don't have to pay anything extra.

Concierge is also available for any of your needs in the city. When we first arrived, we wanted a place to eat breakfast, so James sent us over to concierge and he was able to help us find a vegetarian friendly place. He printed us the menus for 3 different places so we could choose, and once we made our decision, he gave us walking directions. Thank you for this great service!

Whenever we stay in Chicago, we will never ever ever choose a different hotel. This boutique hotel will go above and beyond your expectations!

Crystal

2  Thank Crystal M
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Crystal M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is always great to hear feedback about different aspects of our guests' unique experiences, and I appreciate the detail of your visit. It is an honor to receive such generous compliments of our comfortable beds, car service, décor, but especially your comments of James, which I have shared with him. It was honor that you chose to spend as special of an occasion as your anniversary with us, and I am glad that you enjoyed the champagne. It is humbling to receive such a generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers, but most of all that you plan to stay again. Thank you again, Crystal, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My daughter and I love spending time together in Chicago. We, once again, stayed at the James. It is beautiful, impeccably clean, very friendly and helpful staff, very comfortable rooms, and is in a prime location. They even offer a complimentary driver to take you to the restaurant, theater, museum or any other place that you might want to go to. The martini bar is one of the best, and the complimentary appetizers are yummy. The location is also perfect...right in the heart of the magnificent mile. Loved the bowl outside the front door with fresh water and treats for our furry friends walking by. Needless to say...we will stay at the James the next time we meet in Chicago.

Room Tip: The noise was too loud for me because our room faced the street. The view was great, but I am used...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear lakegirl58,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored by your generous compliments of our friendly team, comfortable rooms, and our complimentary car service. Most of all, I truly appreciate your continued loyalty to us and that you plan to stay again. Thank you again for writing, and on behalf of the entire James team, we look forward to welcoming both you and your daughter back again soon!