“Would not stay here again” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The James Chicago

The James Chicago
Ranked #44 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Las Vegas, NV
“Would not stay here again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2010

I stayed in a Deluxe King Suite. No desk to work at or to sit at to eat room service meals. The only table was coffee table height and the couch was some strange futon that was lower than the coffee table (!) and canted forward. Incredibly uncomfortable to sit at and ridiculous for room service meals or to work at computer. Since my room was configured like all the other Deluxe King Suites depicted in on line photos, I have to assume this design flaw with the couch/futon runs throughout the property. Bed was fine and bath was fine but I can't imagine why business travelers would rate this property well. The couch/futon seating is the worst I've encountered in a modern hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mczen
TheJamesGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 20 May 2010
mczen-

Thank you for your feedback regarding your room. I'm terribly sorry that this particular room configuration was not conducive to your needs. Sounds like you were in a Studio suite which is the only room type without a "dining niche" that is practical for both working and dining.

I will send you my contact information. If you would consider giving us another chance, I'd be happy to block you into a room that I'm confident will make your stay more productive.

Best.

Patrick Hatton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Korean first
waterloo, On
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

This hotel had it all, great location, fantastic staff and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The James makes you feel very pampered, I can't wait to go back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
TheJamesGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 19 May 2010
belletracy-

Thank you! Can't wait to welcome you back!

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

My first trip ever to Chicago ended with me staying here for 5 nights.

Great location right in the heart of everything, really comfy rooms that feel a little like home and great service.

I would whole heartidly recommend to anyone!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
PaddiO-

Thank you for the kind words. We're glad you were comfortable and look forward to welcoming you back "home" soon!

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

I travelled to Chicago for my 30th birthday girlfriends getaway. I booked The James through hotwire.com for a great rate of $124/night. The location was perfect...all the shopping and eating we did were within walking distance. We only drove to clubs. Speaking of driving, the parking rate was expensive which is to be expected in downtown Chicago. The service was impeccable from valet, to the front desk, to concierge. Housekeeping did leave the dirty towels we left of the bathroom floor to be removed when our room was cleaned. The beds were extremely comfortable as we found it easy to take naps and difficult to arise from them. We stayed in a standard double room with no view which wasn't a big deal. I don't know how i feel about the flat square sink but it was in sync with the style. The in room bar was very tempting as they provided martini glasses and a shaker. The flat screen was cool as well as the channel selections. We loved the seating nook in the room and found it easy to adjust the room temperature to our liking. I could tell that the walls were thin but we didn't have issues with noise. I definitely recommend staying if you can get the a great rate.

TripAlwaysinWork-

Happy Birthday! We glad that you spent it with us and thrilled that you had a comfortable stay! Thank you for all the kinds words. I am sorry about the towels and hope that this oversight was the only flaw in your celebration.

While some consider 30 a landmark birthday, we think all of them are special and hope that you celebrate 31, 32, 33 and more with us in Chicago!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2010

Located a block off Michigan Avenue and few blocks from the CTA'a Red Line. Upscale rooms, beautifully decorated, high end bathroom products, housekeeping twice a day and can't miss the lobster bisque at the restaurant downstairs.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheJamesGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 10 May 2010
cjunquera,

Thank you for the kind review of the James. I am thrilled that you had a positive experience with us and while I'm biased, I couldn't agree more on the Lobster Bisque (also available through Room Service!)

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor nation.

Best,

New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2010

We spent four lovely days here, right in River North, which is to say central Chicago.
We were able to walk or cab to all the sights and restaurants. Service was excellent and they take pets and gave our hound treats every day. We would definitely return. We were able to get a really good deal on Hotels.com which saved us about $70 per day.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
annbury-

Thank you for the kind words about The James. We're glad you and your hound enjoyed your stay! We love our four legged friends almost as much as our 2 legged ones!

We appreciate you sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Be on the watch for The James New York! Coming to Soho this summer.

chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2010

This hotel is mutton dressed as lamb. We're talking noise of the worst kind.. wild parties.. Our first room was located under a 'swanky' bar. There were people screaming and cars honking throughout the night. It was impossible to sleep. After complaining, we were moved to another room...there were a group of young men who thought nothing of coming back to their hotel room at 4:00 a.m. and partying like they were in the middle of a football stadium. This is the loudest most obnoxious hotel I have ever stayed at and, at close to $200 a night a complete and total rip off. You would be better off sleeping in a park, I'm sure you'd have a better night's sleep.

6 Thank leitigre
leitigre,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your experience at The James. I am terribly sorry that we were not able to correct the situation while you were our guest. I will contact you offline to discuss further.

Best,