“Excellent 6 night stay”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #45 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We stayed for 6 nights in November and the staff couldn't do enough for you. When we initially checked in they gave us a smoking room. We phoned the reception desk and they immediately sent someone up to show us a non-smoking room and moved us very quickly. They couldn't have done enough.

The hotel is in a excellent location and within easy walking distance of major attractions and excellent restaurants not to mention in the heart of magnificent mile.

From the reception staff to the door staff all were excellent and incredibly friendly. We talked to the door staff every day and they were very knowledgable with the area and gave us many recommendations for good restaurants and places to go.

We did eat in David Burke's Primehouse which is located in the hotel, and we did have a very disappointing dinner. I certainly wouldn't recommend the expense of eating at this restaurant, however, this had no reflection on our enjoyment of our stay at the James.

The hotel bar is very good with prompt and excellent service as well as some very nice cocktails.

We certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend the James and would definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
TheJamesGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2011

clarehelen23-

Thank you for the great review of your experience at The James! I appreciate the specific comments about our desk and door teams. I agree. They are the best. I am sorry that your Primehouse experience wasn't great. I will reach out to you offline to get more details.

Thank you for choosing us and for sharing your feedback with the Tripadvisor nation!

Reviewed 28 December 2010

The James is by far the best hotel I’ve visited in Chicago. From the moment we walked in the door we felt at home. The Bellman and Front Desk Staff were very helpful in getting us checked and recommending great shopping spots. After arriving back from shopping our room was turned down and very comfortable, we didn’t want to leave the room was too cozy. All the staff was very welcoming, even the passing mechanics in the hall stopped to say hello. The quietness of the rooms is what shocked me the most. The weekend we stayed the hotel was sold out with many holiday parties. Walking from the elevator to the room you could hear most of the parties going on. Once we closed our door you would have thought the whole hotel was asleep, not a peep. Open the door we would hear noise, close the door nothing. I was shocked, traveling all over I have been to a hotel as quiet as The James, or one that has had beds as soft. We can’t wait to go back.

And for the dog lovers, your pooch is welcomed too. They even have dog treats and water bowls waiting at the front door. I’m just sad my dog is not well behaved enough to go traveling.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends

muenginerd-

Wow! What a fantastic review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I appreciate the shout outs for our Bell and Desk teams. They have got the art of hospitality down.

I am glad you enjoyed the quiet comfort of our rooms and look forward to welcoming you and your "pooch" back soon.

Reviewed 28 December 2010

We are enormous fans of The James and I recently surprised my husband with another overnight getaway to escape to our favorite place (we're local, live in Chicago, but love how The James always makes us feel like we're on a fabulous vacation)! We are never disappointed with the service we receive, the cleanliness of the rooms, the amenities, the location - this place just can't be beat.
Our golden retriever feels the same way! She walks through the lobby as though she owns the place - it doesn't hurt that there are always "yummies" waiting for her in a container just outside the front door!! She wags her tail as people greet her, all of whom are in awe and excitement that such an amazing hotel makes itself that much better by allowing dogs as guests.
We can't thank the hotel enough and look forward to our next getaway!! We don't even consider other hotels as The James has us completely spoiled.
Keep up the good work!
Local James Lover

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

MCRChicago-

We are enormous fans of you too! Thank you for the great review and for your loyalty.

Look forward to welcoming you and your Golden back soon!

Reviewed 26 December 2010

A great little hotel in a perfect spot in Chicago. A boutique hotel that welcomes kids! They even had a kids' library - but enough grown-up style that everyone was happy.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank lynx74
Reviewed 14 December 2010

I booked this trip through TripAdvisor's new service "Snique Away" (which was fabulous) offering a GREAT deal on this wonderful hotel. I was traveling to get some R&R for my birthday. Check-in was a breeze and Greg, at the front desk, was VERY friendly and customer-oriented (as was the doorman who greeted me with a HUGE umbrella to keep me out of the pouring rain, and the staff in the bar and restaurant). Greg arranged a wonderful birthday surprise--three delicious mini-cupcakes (red velvet with cream cheese icing-YUM!!) delivered to my room. The hotel is ideally located for shopping and dining--most everything I needed was in walking distance (the West Egg is perfect for breakfast). The gym was well equipped and the staff at the hotel's spa were gracious and accommodating. The contemporary room was spacious (I had a studio suite) and clean; the bathroom was spotless (the bathrobe was comfy) with excellent Kiehl products. The bed was heavenly--a good night's sleep each evening--and the turn down service is a nice touch. The mini-bar was well-stocked with great items (of course at the usual high mini-bar prices).

The business center had both Mac's and PC's and the free wi-fi is a plus.

If I had to give any critique, it would be the following: The bathtub was starting to peel a little bit. Also, if you want a view from your room, be sure to request an outside-facing room. The inside-facing rooms (which I had) have no view (you look directly into other rooms) and it makes the room very dark--even on sunny days. Still, these things did not detract from a wonderful stay.

I'd like to take a quick moment to thank all my fellow TripAdvisor reviewers--it's also because of your willingness to share your honest opinions that I've had some of the best trips ever!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank NuPwr319
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Great River North location and a better than average boutique conversation can make this an excellent deal. It seems like there are great deals to be had for weekend stays . Under $150 or so this is a very good deal. Quality linens, mattresses and very good common spaces. The finishes are a step up from the IKEA type finishes that many developers put in boutique hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank David Z
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Good location, about two blocks from the Grand L station, which is nice in winter. But given the high rating of The James, I was a bit disappointed. As much as I love modern design, I found the room interior a bit cold and sterile. Very comfortable bed, but nothing special otherwise in the room. And the sliding hanging door to the bathroom was a classic example of design over function - it fell off the rails, was hard to open and close, and even a note to housekeeping didn't solve the problem. So good for location, as noted, but I wouldn't pay over $100 a night otherwise.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple