“Lovely hotel, crowded breakfast”

Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District
Ranked #24 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Columbia, MO
“Lovely hotel, crowded breakfast”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The hotel was a good value for us to stay downtown. You could purchase a discounted parking option, which was nice so we didn't have to worry about tracking our car.

The reception area was classy, as well as the room. The man at the front desk was excited and friendly. He helped us look over the map and suggested some good places to eat for varying tastes.

The room was gorgeous. A high ceiling, central air control, big windows facing downtown. I usually wear ear plugs, so I cannot recommend how loud or quiet it was, though I slept through the night without hearing noisy people.

I'm used to asking for a higher floor when I travel, just to avoid noise... that was a bad idea. It took forever to get up and down the elevator in the morning. And the worst part was the breakfast - don't get me wrong, because I like Hampton's free breakfast, always. But we were in a 21 floor building... there was no room to sit, hardly to breathe. We ended up skipping out and getting some donuts at Do-Rite Donuts (recommend!)

I can't say we spent too much time in the room, but it was wonderful when we did.

Room Tip: Stick to the bottom floors to save time traveling up and down. Breakfast times are extremely hard to...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Laurinburg, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This hotel was absolutely perfect for a late summer family getaway! Perfect location right next to Blue Line train stop, so access to O'Hare was ideal. Right in the heart of the Loop, surrounded by restaurants, shopping, and right on top of Bank of America Theater. Friendly, helpful staff. Clean room with high ceilings, very quiet. Excellent Hampton property!

Whitehall, PA
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very clean and well kept. The staff was excellent. Specifially, Ross was very helpful providing input on how best to enjoy our stay in Chicago. The location is perfect if you want to stay in The Loop or in the theater district. Millennium Park is a short walk as well as the L. Also, The Miracle Mile and Navy Pier are a reasonable walk if you don't mind walking about a mile. The breakfast is the typical Hampton Inn breakfast. The food was fresh and kept stocked during the morning. It does get very crowded on the weekend. The rooms are a good size. They are a bit dark since you are staying in a converted office building in downtown Chicago. We requested a mini refrigerator which also came in handy. The decor is current and well maintained. You can walk to almost anything in the downtown area from this hotel. Don't be afraid to ask the front desk for help during your stay in Chicago. They were all willing to answer any questions and book a reservation for the numerous tours that we wanted to take. For the price, location, staff and overall quality, this Hampton Inn is great choice.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Zebra11
Hudson, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Check on parking for in-and-out privledges. Ideal location. Close to subway. Breakfast good. Service great. Very very clean. Quiet. Price was pretty good considering it is in Chicago in a good location. Might check to see if there are other "local" hotels that are not national chains as my son lives in Chicago just to get a local feel. But this hotel is in theatre district and does not give the national sanitary feel of chains. However, as a safe bet, this is an excellent choice.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My mom and I shared a double queen room for five days and were vey pleased with our stay. Location was walking from Millenium Park and theaters, buses and trains to everywhere, even Midway airport and Oak Park trains were just steps away. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable, breakfast and snacks on site were convenient, and our room on upper floor was comfortable and relatively quiet, though we could hear thunderstorms one night, how could we not? The hotel shares a lobby with the BofA theatre which made tinier convenient to get tickets to Book of Mormon which was playing while we were there. The theatre offers same day rush for some of the shows which makes it a lot cheaper. We also were walking distance from the Symphony and Art Institute and enjoyed both.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The room was cold. I had the thermostat up to warm up the room, but it would not. I called the front desk at 4 a.m. and was told that the heat was controlled by the building management and it did not start until later in the month. When I was checking out, I mentioned about the room temperature to the front desk. I was told that each room has its own heat and probably the unit was not working properly. I was promised that a manager would call me as they were not available at the time. No one did.

And, to make the experience worse, I was billed twice. This probably happened because the system froze during my initial reservation and I ended up with 2 reservations. They agreed to issue a credit for the second reservation. However, I feel that, to minimize work for all involved, thay should have asked me at the time of checking in if I had another room booked. It was 1 a.m. when I checked in and anyone reasonable would wonder why I had booked 2 rooms under the same name. But, then maybe not.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Roop T M
Samantha R, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Roop TM,
Thank yo ufor taking the time to share your experience at our hotel during your recent stay in Downtown Chicago. Please accept our sincere apologies for the unfortunate situations that occurred with the service and the facility while a gueset in our hotel. Our goal is to strive to exceed every guest's expectations and unfortunately we fell short of our goal on numerous occasions and failed to meet or exceed your expectations. Please be assured I will personally follow up to ensure these service encounters are not repeated. Please email me directly at the email below so I can further discuss your experience. Thank you.

Samantha Rice
Guest Experience Manager
samantha.rice@hilton.com
Duluth, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Hotel has a very good design. Only 7 rooms to a floor (on 20 floors) the result is a very quiet stay. No slamming doors or running kids. Great hotel security, key card to activate elevators. One of only 3 hotels I know of in chicago loop that gives you a free hot breakfast. A very big perk to help you start your sightseeing day. Front desk staff is the best I have come across, amazingly friendly and helpful to all. Price is ok considering this is downtown chicago. Rooms are smaller with only one king bed usually, but very comfortable! Could hear some noise from the Elevated trains, but not really that bad. Air conditioning was quiet. Right next to a theater, 2 blocks off from michigan avenue. Best Hampton I have come across.

2 Thank Allan B
Samantha R, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Allan B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience here with us at The Hampton Majestic. We take great pride in providing our guests with exceptional customer service. We hope you get the chance to visit us again in the future.

Samantha A. Rice