“Not a great value”

Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District
Ranked #21 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 18 September 2009

I spent 2 nights at Hampton Inn and I am not sure what to say about it. Although there is nothing really bad about it, I can’t think of something good to say either. Hampton Inns are usually the inexpensive sister in the Hilton family, nothing fancy, just basic decent hotel accommodation. However, the high price and the very enthusiastic comments from this forum made me believe this is something special. Not exactly. This is a very old building that was probably recently renovated. The colors are all dark however. Dark carpet, dark furniture and dark wall paper, a little to depressing for me. The breakfast is nothing special, just an extended continental breakfast with some kind of fake eggs and gravy, cereals, muffins and beagles. I can’t really imagine how someone can eat enough of that stuff to last them till dinner. They offer free wireless Internet and there are 2 PCs in the lobby with free Internet also. The rooms appeared to be clean and comfortable and the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating, probably they are the best thing about this hotel. I paid $249/ night plus tax and I feel that was no reason for that kind of rate. If you can get this hotel for less than $175 and you don’t mind the Gothic look, you might enjoy this hotel more than I did. The location is great especially if you don’t have a car and like to walk. In conclusion, not a bad hotel, but definitely not a good value or worth the money that they are asking.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Laurel99
Leighann L, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

I wanted to say thanks for sharing your experience with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Hampton Inn Majestic, we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

There are newer reviews for Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District

Reviewed 15 September 2009

If you don't mind walking you can get to almost all the attractions, so have some comfy shoes on. The service was wonderful - people at the front desk were helpful and pleasant. The breakfast was nice,nothing fancy but you can definitely get full easily..

I would definitely stay here again! Thank you Majestic.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank TennisGalNH

Reviewed 14 September 2009

We look forward to returning to Chicago and will definitely stay at the Hampton Inn Majestic. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly, the room was clean and comfortable, the breakfast included was not the typical toast and coffee and it was in a perfect location. All of this for the most reasonable price of all of the hotels we looked at.

Reviewed 12 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hampton Inn Majestic for 4 nights and were very pleased with our stay. The room was spacious and beautiful. I heard very little noise from other guests or from the streets. We had no problems with overcrowding at breakfast until Friday morning and I think that was partly because we ate later. You can always take your food to your room if there is not seating available. The location of the hotel is wonderful!! Red line station is right around the corner and there are bus stops that will take you almost anywhere you want to go within about a half a block. Many things were close enough to walk to if you are so inclined. This will be my choice of hotels next time I stay in Chicago.

Reviewed 9 September 2009

We were very pleased with this hotel and the staff. Our two-double bed room was very roomy and very clean. The carpeting looked brand-new as did the wallpaper, furniture, etc. Bathroom was a good size with a good shower. Only negative is that the breakfast area is quite small considering the size of the hotel. We choose not to stand-in line to wait for food and what appeared to be a wait for a table. There is a Corner Bakery just a couple of blocks away that was very good and very reasonably priced. We chose to self-park rather than pay for valet parking. We parked at the East Monroe Millennium Parking Garage off of Columbus Avenue ($23/24 hours). Very easy walk from the hotel to the parking garage.

Reviewed 30 August 2009

My wife and I went to the Hampton Inn Majestic for a quick get away at the end of August. I got a good deal on Jersey Boy tickets by calling the hotel direct and that is why we stayed here. The location is pretty good and hotel was okay but the room decor was a little too dark for my liking. When we arrived the bathroom wasn't as clean as it should have been, it looked as if someone had been sick and the hotel staff didn't fully clean up. Other than that everything else was acceptable. Breakfast was better than your normal continental deal and saved us some money as we were able to skip lunch and eat an early dinner which was also a little cheaper. Overall, our stay was good but I don't see us staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 August 2009

We just spent five nights at the Hampton Majestic ,and it deserves the reviews it gets here, particularly for extraordinary value. The rooms are quite large and well-appointed, if a bit dark, and there's none of the noise problem you sometimes get with older hotels. With our very late arrival, we got a room next to the elevator lobby, which is usually a big red flag for us. I promised my wife the minute we heard anything, we'd ask for another room. In five days, we never heard a sound. The desk staff is nonstop pleasant and helpful, and the maid service is the best we've ever experienced -- thorough, unobtrusive and relentlessly cheerful. They even provide two different kinds of pillows, firm and soft. All the details are covered. And you couldn't ask for a better location -- easy walking distance from Millenium Park, theaters, State Street and the Magnificent Mile, some of the world's best restaurants and the Blue Line train to the airport.

The breakfast buffet is limited in selection, but everything's delicious. There's no restaurant or bar on site, but the famous Italian Village around the corner provides room service, and Lou Malnati's delivers. The only quibbles are minor -- the small workout room has only one universal weight machine, and the soda vending machines on alternate floors are one-armed bandits.

Again, what's remarkable here is the value. Our whole stay cost less than $800, not counting the room taxes. We couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable experience at a place charging three times as much.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple