“3 visits = 3 disappointments. It disguises itself as a chic Italian eatery however it is anything but. Among other...”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Ballo - CLOSED

Dining options: Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Illinois
Transit: The Grand stop on the Red Line is .1 mile to the North East, on the corner of Grand Avenue and State Street.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2007

3 visits = 3 disappointments. It disguises itself as a chic Italian eatery however it is anything but. Among other things they play Italian stereo type films constantly uncut so taking the family there is out of the question. The cuisine is glorified chef boyarde (spelling?) There ar better places in Chicago to spend your HARD earned money.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
“Amazing Italian!!! Larg portions, and great meatballs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2007

We ate dinner one night at Ballo while in Chicago for the July 4th holiday. The portions are so large, my fiance and shared a meal. We got the chicken parmesan and the meatballs. We loved our meal here. Delicious, delicious!!! The meatballs were so good, I had never had meatballs this good. I recommend going here if you are going to Chicago, but also recommend sharing a meal. The service was great as well. Eat at Ballo, you will not regret it, but will leave there very full.

1 Thank Turquoiseharlem
NY
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2007

Ballos is an excellent Italian restaurant in the Hampton Inn in downtown Chicago. One night we had pot roast and another night we had chicken parmigiana and the taste was excellent.

In addition the wait staff is very attentive.

You should note the portions are very large. You will probably want to share a portion and the restaurant does not charge extra for that.

Bon appetit.

1 Thank travelus73
Denver, Colorado
“Huge portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2006

I have eaten here twice after work plus I have stopped in for a drink on more than two occasions. Both times I ordered food the quality of the food was excellent. Since I am not a big dinner eater, I prefer to order from the appetizer menu. If you have ever complained about small appetizer portions, that will not happen at Ballo. Mama's Meatballs sounds harmless enough, but it arrived on a 14 inch platter piled high with salad and 3 incredibly large... I mean LARGE meatballs.... in my book this was a meal for two. My other meal was a pizza which do not remember as really large, but I do remember as incredibly delicious. My only caution would be to order one appetizer for your group until you see how large it is. Then order your entrees... if needed. Take your time.. it is a nice comfy and friendly place. Kyle from Denver.

1 Thank kyle s
Texas
“Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2006

Ballo, located at 445 N. Dearborn St. in downtown Chicago was a delightful find. A smallish restaurant with a welcoming atsmosphere turned out to be one of our favorites. Italian cuisine at its best. The portions are huge to say the least. The Mama's Meatballs were enough for two people and came with an ample amount of salad. The pizza was delicious with its thin crisp crust and wonderful Italian sausage and peppers. Mama Mia! Other offerings observed at other tables looked just as inviting. The service was excellent and very friendly. Prices were very reasonable.

1 Thank darlinbeck