“Nice Antiques, But This Place is Half-[--]!”
Review of Old Chicago Inn

Old Chicago Inn
Ranked #12 of 22 Chicago B&B and Inns
Oakland, California
“Nice Antiques, But This Place is Half-[--]!”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I really want to love this place, but it is sort of a mess. First, the pluses: David is a wonderful, gracious host and really works to make you feel at home. The two rooms I've stayed in both have great antiques. The art is thought provoking and historically significant. The neighborhood is great, and the hotel is steps away from Belmont station that serves Red Brown and Purple. HOWEVER, if you are a frequent traveler, you will find the amenities severely lacking here. FIRSTLY, THERE IS NO DEADBOLT. A lock that can only be operated from the inside is mandatory, not optional, and I simply don't feel very safe in the rooms by myself. That is the single reason why I will never stay there again, but the list of "huh?"s and "WTFs" goes on... The rooms are extremely compact. Some rooms have clearly out-of-code build outs, like a closet converted into a bathroom where you have to walk THROUGH the shower to get to the commode. Dangerous and weird. There are no hairdryers, toilet paper holders or towel racks in the rooms. REALLY? you can buy a decent hairdryer for $12 and a cheap towel rack or hooks for under 10. There is really no excuse for not having those simple items in the room. But no TP holder? that is just nasty and unsanitary. even in an awkward space you can find a more gracious TP solution than a roll on the back of the tank. YUCKY! There is no wardrobe or closet, there is just a small rack behind the door for the robes (yes they have robes but no TP holder...) and NO extra hangers. Where is a person supposed to hang their clothing? In a room that small, where it is tough to situate your luggage, that is not acceptable. There is no daily maid service, which could be OK, but there are also no hooks (or in one room just one hook) to hang your towels. Gross. One of the rooms I stayed in had no form of bedside lamp whatsoever. Unacceptable. You cannot control the temperature of your own room. My headboard was so dusty I wondered if my room had been properly cleaned. The bathmats either had not been freshly laundered or were so old that it didn't matter. The paint job looks like an untalented 17 year old kid did it, with paint marks all over the exposed brick. There is a lack of outlets and the one in the bathroom did not work. The hot and cold water were backwards in the bathroom sink, and getting the shower to work at a comfortable temperature felt like a MENSA problem. (PLUS: the showerhead was decent.) My room smelled like hamster fluff. Perhaps the more deluxe rooms are nicer? I have stayed in 2 of the more modestly priced rooms that had their own bathrooms. (NOTE: both of those rooms felt cramped with just me by myself. Definitely choose one of their largest rooms if you are traveling with another person or are staying more than a couple of nights) I think this place has a lot of potential, however this just seems like a side project that the owners no longer have interest in. It feels like a weird hostel but at a heftier price. I normally stay at the equally weird but much more comfortable City Suites around the corner instead.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank n1xter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I was in 3E top floor in the back with private bath. I like the room overall, no closet though.
My biggest problem was internet connection. I was only able to connect briefly, I would need to go to a common area mostly, closer to the modem to connect. David was more than accommodating trying to help, but this is really a location issue.
This B&B is wonderfully close to many restaurants and shopping. I would definitely use
this B&B again, if a room with private bath is available closer to the modem source.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
charlotte, nc
Reviewed 15 May 2013

My husband and I just returned from spending five days (four nights) in Chicago visiting our son who lives in the neighborhood. The Old Chicago Inn was perfect for our needs. The room, 2C, was very small but it was nicely furnished, had a very comfortable queen bed, and had a huge closet. We had a private bath across the hall. The innkeeper David was super nice and accommodated our every request from extra hangers to keeping our bags in his office til we left on our last day. The continental breakfast included greek yogurt, yummy breakfast bread from local bakeriess, coffee, tea, cereal and granola bars. Plus a breakfast casserole on Sundays. The coffee was weak but tasted fine. We defaulted to Starbuck's for coffee. We walked everywhere and did lots of fun things. This is not the Ritz but we felt very comfortable.

Room Tip: There are two rooms that share a bath. Most others have an in-room bath or a private bath across the...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kathy d
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have stayed here many times. I am always struck by the warmth and efficiency of the b&b keepers. I had a delicious hamburger on my food chit. Breakfast was fabulous, an egg souffle with bacon and home made breakfast cake. Remember that there are stairs and be sure to specify your own bath if you are not inclined to share. But this is a delightful experience.

Room Tip: The bay windows in the front are beautiful!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I have stayed at various bed and breakfast, a lot of times it is gamble as to what you will find. I have been impressed and pleased several times, but not in this case. I
Since I was traveling without my husband, visiting mr daughter, I was uncomfortable spending the night there by myself. I ended up staying with my daughter. They would no refund my money. . . So goodbye $360.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan S

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Whitehall, Michigan
Reviewed 5 December 2012

We had a nice room, very small but clean. The location was near public transport, they provide a neighborhood parking pass and you do have to search for a parking spot. Easy walk to Wrigley Field. The staff was very welcoming and got up early to provide food for us ahead of normal breakfast time due to our early departure. We had a bit of trouble accessing the wireless internet from our 3rd floor room with the door closed but it was fine just outside in the common area where a small fridge was provided.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I recently stayed at the Old Chicago Inn. Unfortunately, the inn was not anything like most of the reviews I previewed before booking the place. I commend the photographer who provided the pictures for their advertisement. But in this case, the pictures are not worth the thousand words. The room was dirty (2 inch dust balls behind the furniture), dust on the curtain blinds, and there was mildew on the back of the shower curtains. The main section had a scent of body odor, the breakfast was an unknown serving in a cassarole plate,the coffe was lukewarm, and I couldn't find a freshness date on the breakfast bars and boxes of cereal. One other thing, the inn is one block from the L train. Unless you are accustomed to the sounds, you probably won't sleep well. About the only person I would recommend this to is someone returning from a Cubs game (within walking distance) who might have over embibed, and doesn't care where they sleep. I am sorry for the unkind words, but sometimes the truth is needed for changes to occur. The building has great potential, but I believe has bad management at this time....

Room Tip: Try Villa De Citta!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo