“Amazing appletinis and fried shrimp”

Plymouth Restaurant & Rooftop Bar
Ranked #916 of 9,926 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$7 - US$17
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Description: Best food and drink specials in the south loop! Pub / restaurant! Rooftop bar and grill open year-round! Student discounts! Burgers, salads, wraps, omelets, wings, steak, tacos. Beer towers! Martinis! Cocktails!
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Gotta love a rooftop bar! Even when it's crowded and super noisy, you just have to love a rooftop. Especially one that plays fun 90s-early 2000s pop music. I am down with that.

I came on a Thursday which was apparently $5 appletini night, so I had two - they were delicious, pretty sweet, and strong. The second one was definitely stronger than the first so maybe the bartender was just letting loose back there. I got a turkey panini and sweet potato fries. Fries were good, sandwich pretty average but the bread was warm and crispy and you could taste the avocado and the swiss cheese. My favorite thing I ate was a few shrimp generously offered by a dining companion - good lord, that shrimp basket! I did not expect fried shrimp at a rando Loop bar to be any good but they were freaking fabulous. Perfectly breaded and juicy and hot and crispy on the outside. I would come back and order that in a flash.

Service was spotty, probably because they were really busy. We didn't get the waters we asked for and stuff like that. Young professional crowd here, lots of law students. It looked to me like the food was mostly pretty average, but I'd return here for drinks and some more jumbo shrimp!

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Food is good. Portions are generous. It does take some tiem during rush hours.
The orange juice is not freshly squeezed and is only 100ml.
We do visit this often with friends.

Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

On a mini vaca with my girlfriend, stopped in here once for lunch, and a few cocktails. Came back for breakfast the second day. In a part of town that will drain your wallet with $20 sandwiches, $15 cocktails, and $10 shots, Plymouth offered good food with friendly service at prices that were reminiscent of what we are used to paying down in middle Illinois.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I came to this bar with a bunch of friends for an alumni happy hour. We made reservations ahead of time for the event and the staff were nothing but helpful all the way. They took care of everything and were extremely generous with the food and the drink tickets--more so than they had to, I think!

The best part about this place is the breezy rooftop bar: you get a great view of the Harold Washington Memorial Library (the main Chicago Public Library branch, with the beautiful owl roof decorations) and other nearby landmarks. It's conveniently located right in the Loop, very close to the red, green, orange, and brown lines.

We had a great time and will most probably have our next alumni meet-up in Chicago here again!

1  Thank Ana_Elisa_7
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I was in town for the JT/JayZ concert and wanted a place with good scenery to stop for a few drinks and appetizers. A Chicagoan (?) suggested this restaurant. We told the hostess to give us a great view since we were from out of town, and she did. Our waitress, Quinn, could not have been sweeter. She was prompt in getting or orders, but left us alone to catch up over cocktails. When, 2 weeks later, you are talking about how nice your waitress was, it's a good experience. Thanks Q!

2  Thank Carli79