“a peaceful spa room”
Review of Ruby Room

Ruby Room
Ranked #151 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 27 October 2007

My friend and I spent a 2 night spa getaway at the Ruby Room and enjoyed it very much. The deluxe king rooms were spacious and immaculate. The steam showers were fabulous and beds very comfy. No telephones in the rooms is not an issue in todays world of cell phones and no tvs was actually a nice respite. The CD player had a "spa" tape to enhance relaxation.
No elevators and steep stairs could be a problem to some (we thought it was charming and contributed to the unique quality of the building) and on arrival our bags were carried for us.
Our goal was a spa experience, so we did Yoga and had facials and had our auras read (pretty goofy...) The neighborhood has some wonderful restaurants and great shops nearby with an easy walk.
Our goal was a relaxing weekend in a spa environment, but the Ruby Room is also great for business and sports travelers to Chicago. Next time we come up for a play or concert or to shop, the Ruby Room will be the place !

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank barla54

Reviewed 27 September 2007

Overall, my stay was pleasant, but there are some misrepresentations about their rooms on their website.

Here's the good: the room looked pretty much exactly like the pictures. It was clean, comfortable, pretty, and the bed was very comfortable. Plus, there's a little community kitchen area so I could prepare some of my own food.

Here's some of their spin, and the reality:

The deluxe room is billed as having "loads of sunlight." Actually, the room has two north facing windows that look out at about 8 feet of space and then the wall of the other building. Even if you keep your curtains open (which is unlikely, considering that the windows face the windows of a business directly across), there's only the faintest sunlight.

The garden room theoretically "overlooks the healing garden." Actually, it overlooks the back stairs to the building, which guests use to come and go at night.

Also, the healing garden is actually a large patio with some plants around the edges. It's certainly nice, but I don't think it quite qualifies as a "garden." It does have a little waterfall, however.

Lastly, their website clearly states this but I'll say it too: Definitely be prepared to haul your luggage up the stairs.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank Kaszi
Reviewed 6 September 2007

My partner and I stayed at Ruby Room during a leisure trip to Chicago. It's a beautiful place and we were treated like kings. Our bed was really incredible. It was the best nights sleep I've had in months. The Wicker Park neighborhood was quaint and we avoided paying the $40/night parking fee we usually pay staying downtown. We will be back.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank JamesH567
Reviewed 5 September 2007

We booked a 'Deluxe Room' at the Ruby Room for a long weekend. We were extremely disappointed by our experience there. Things that would probably bother other travelers did not bother us: the stairs, no telephones/tv's, no room service, small bathroom, and checking in at the spa (yes, it's a bit awkward given the tight space amongst all the products but the staff is friendly and check-in is quick).

Room decor is Target & Ikea meets Shabby Chic & Yoga Ashram. Basically, it's a bizarre mix of cheap furniture and decor. There were other strange things about the room that made it seem half furnished: no nightstand on one side of the bed, no headboard, no cover on the duvet, etc. The bed linens are not 500 thread count as advertised (Note to owners: your customers have eyes and can read tags & many of us shop at Target too). There were fresh flowers in the room when we arrived but they were half dead...but a nice thought had it been executed properly.

Pros:
-Comfortable bed despite not having a headboard
-Aveda products in the bathroom
-Convenient to 'El' and bus
-Convenient to restaurants

Cons:
-Completely OVERPRICED!
-Dirty (inch of dust underneath the bed w/ dust bunnies everywhere, coverlet was stained and no comforter cover)
-No WiFi as advertised. Direct internet connection was extremely slow.
-Paper thin walls (not so relaxing when you can hear everything around you)

Again, we were fully aware that this was not your typical hotel and we were ok with that. But for the price that we paid ($185 per night before taxes), we certainly expected a lot more and at the very least to get what was advertised. Save your money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank columbiakat
Reviewed 18 July 2007

I booked a room at the ruby room for a long weekend for my boyfriend's birthday. After looking at the pictures on their website (and this one), it looked like all the rooms had a nice bed, a sitting area, and a nice modern bathroom. I certainly was prepared to forego the television and phone for some nice reading moments in the pictured lounge chair. What I did not realize, is that the regular room, priced at about $170/night before taxes, does not have the sitting area, and is a small, stark bedroom with merely a bed (a comfortable one), a bedside table, and a lamp. It was small by any city's standards. Needless to say, I thought it was way overpriced for what we received.

The housekeeper was very nice, as were the people at the front who checked us in, but you check in at the "spa," and have to lug your luggage into a boutique while you are waiting to be escorted to the rear of the building. It felt uncomfortable having all that luggage among people who were leisurely browsing the rows of beauty products.

The best thing I have to say is that the neighborhood is great. There were plenty of restaurants, bars and places to shop, and the L is a short walk away. I would stay here again, but only if the price were dropped significantly.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adair75
Reviewed 19 June 2007

I have to admit - I kept wishing I had a pair of Ruby slippers to take me to a different hotel if I clicked them twice. I actually shouldn't call this a hotel -- and nor do they - as it is more a part of the Ruby Room Spa that is down the stairs a building over.

For the price we paid - around $200 on Expedia - the room was very disappointing. The only positive was the bathroom and that it was clean. The SPA checked us in and they weren't the friendliest of bunch - as I actually thought our arriving was more of a disturbance than a pleasure to meet/greet us. I did not like the fact that I had to climb 4 floors - which was actually many more flights of winding stairs with my luggage - not convenient and very scary actually coming down with the luggage as you land right in the street/pavement (the door seemed to be open a lot) if you were ever to take an unfortuante spill.

The room - has a bed, a mirror, a nightstand with an alarm clock, another nightstand with a lamp and that is it. We didn't have the extra sitting space etc. -although according to our reservation on Expedia we were supposed to have more deluxe accomodations, although after seeing the room - I couldn't imagine how so. The bathroom was the only unexpected delight. The shower is VERY nice and everything is is completely up-to-date. The AVEDA products are a nice touch.

PLEASE NOTE - if you are looking for a TV - there is NONE - at least there wasn't in May 2007.

Overall - I would stay somwhere else if you are looking for service. If you are looking for a place to crash and don't care about a TV, warm service from the staff, an elevator, room service - this could be OK if your destination is Bucktown/Wicker Park area - if not, it's about a $15 cab ride into Rush/Division area of Chicago - more $$ if you go further in.

Also, if you do end up staying here - check out Milk & Honey - it's a great cafe open for breakfast and lunch just down the street - also the bar on the corner Mac's is also a great haunt.

Overall - proceed with caution here.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank amybojo
Reviewed 29 May 2007

I booked a room for the night of Memorial Day for one of the garden suites. The room was switched at the last minute for maintenence reasons, but did not find out until after I arrived and climbed four flights of stairs with luggage in a tight stairway. The hotel was officially closed for the holiday, but was told I was "lucky" to find someone at the spa to help. The room was switched to an extremely loud room on the main street where you could hear ambulances screaming by to the hospital emergency room a several blocks away. No apologies, just a snotty, unfriendly attitude was given for this inconvenience. The room was bland and not cozy at all. Fortunately, we did not accept the last minute switch and rebooked at the W. Much friendlier, cozier accomodations for $25 dollars more than the Ruby Room. So worth it in my opinion.

Stayed: May 2007