“excellent location”
Review of Ruby Room

Ruby Room
Ranked #148 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Our room was lovely - an extremely comfortable bed and a very nice shower. Wicker Park is such a fun neighborhood with so much more personality than downtown. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AandAH
rubyroom, Owner at Ruby Room, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

AandAH, we look forward to seeing you again. Please check in with the front desk on new restaurant recommendations. We are blessed with so many great options right here on division street. Best, John

Reviewed 1 July 2012

My husband, two grown sons and I rendezvoused here for a weekend break in early June. The narrow hallways and limited number of uniquely appointed rooms reminded us of a European hotel. Our two rooms were spacious, yet intimate. We loved the clever touches like the steam shower, spa-quality toiletries, communal steamer instead of an ironing board, and the "urban earplugs" to help us drown out the noise of the city when it was time to sleep. The inn is right next door to The Ruby Room, an urban spa that offers massages, yoga classes and other spa services. Within a block of the inn, there were half a dozen restaurants to choose from for dinner. And our two sons, both of whom are in their 20's, were able to walk out of the hotel, listen to jazz and have a drink together at a couple of local clubs. The next morning, it took us just minutes to drive to Millennium Park and our beloved Art Institute of Chicago. I would recommend Ruby Room for any Chicago visitor looking for an intimate hotel experience in a neighborhood filled with excellent choices for fine dining and entertainment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with steam shower. If you plan to do some light cooking or reheating, you might prefe...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Audrey U
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I have stayed here 5 times for business and I love the charm and uniqueness of this small hotel.Great location to shops and restaurants. The rooms are simply and tastefully designed as well as the bathrooms with clean and classic marble all over. I appreciate the no TV, and the free hi-speed internet. The front desk staff is warm and accommodating but know that if you arrive after 6 pm you just need to call or email and let them know so they can make alternative arrangements to get your keys to you which is super easy. Yes, the guest rooms are up 2-3 flight(brownstone) of stairs but we all need a little exercise. It's super convenient to public transportation. This is my go to place every time I travel to Chi-town!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank GAYLE B
rubyroom, Owner at Ruby Room, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Gayle, we can't thank you enough for your kind words. Best, John

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Despite having travelled extensively for both work and pleasure, a recent stay at Ruby Room has compelled me to write my very first review of a hotel room. On the third day of a 5 day booking, my wife noticed the bottoms of her slippers (you know, the ones real hotels provide gratis) had turned from white to black. As we were initially pleased that the room had hardwood flooring since hardwood flooring is much easier to keep clean as opposed to carpeting, this was troubling. Subsequently while searching for an earring my wife had dropped, we lifted the bed skirt to discover a trove of dust bunnies which had been accumulating for at least a month. While the bed was great and the bathroom was fine, we were very disappointed as cleanliness is a basic expectation. Ruby Room should do much better.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JTinTO
rubyroom, Owner at Ruby Room, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Mr. Tinto, Thank you very much for taking the time to write this note. Your right, we should do much better. Our hardwood flloors are a challenge to keep dust free, but your honest feedback has been the catalyst for a change in our property and how we maintain it. Please feel free to contact me directly next time your visiting. I'd love to offer you a complimentory nights stay as a gesture of thanks. You can reach me directly at john@rubyroom.com.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

Arrived at 10 pm to find no one available. After calling the number provided, we were told the key was in a mailbox. We went up 3 flights of fire escape type stairs in a light rain. It was impossible to bring anything but bare essentials. There were 2 iron chairs and a bag of garbage blocking the entrance to the door. I had to move it to enter. There was a second door to enter the room, that we discovered upon entering, IT WAS UNLOCKED! My partner had to park about 3 blocks away. At 10 pm he had to pass a liquor/old bodega type store. He was accosted by 4 junkies and a derelict trying to sell him a pack of gum for $5.00. There was no TV, but the bed was comfortable. There was very little room to put your things in bathroom. The shower was very hot or cold, no in between. We left as quickly as we could in the morning and would never be back.

Room Tip: Always read the reviews!!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dianne O
rubyroom, Owner at Ruby Room, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Dianne, I really wish we would have had the chance to connect while you were here to make this right. We admittedly do not shine when a guest comes late and leaves early. We are a small urban Inn and do not offer 24 hour front desk personnel. We go to great lengths to communicate this in our website, booking engine and pre arrival correspondence. I left your room door open personally, as we were onsite cleaning up after an event. With over 9,000 happy guests staying with us annually, I would welcome and appreciate the opportunity to meet with you personally to arrange your stay. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly next time you are in Chicago. The first night is on us and I promise you will leave with a smile. You can contact me anytime at john@rubyroom.com

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Bought a living social deal and took my mom for a 2 day trip during the week. The staff was very, very wonderful and gave all kinda of advice in where to eat and what to do on division. The street is super busy, lots of sirens, people and cars but I felt perfectly safe walking down the street to find some dinner. The hotel is about 3 doors down from the spa, and all rooms are on the 3rd or 4th floor and no elevator or help with bags...so pack light. A code has to be entered to get into the hallway, and room key to the room. We felt pretty safe but there is only a chain lock besides the door on lock. The room was so beautiful! Bed was so big and comfy my mom and I accidentally took a short nap before dinner. The bathroom was beautiful as well with a steam shower. Cabs to downtown north Michigan ave. were about $12 to $15 each way. Oh...there isn't a TV or phone in the room but they do have complimentary Internet. We brought books and listened to the calming CD. John (the owner) and the staff are the best. Please keep this place running and stay here.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank smilesunshine57
Reviewed 10 November 2011

First here are the things I loved about the Ruby Room: large room, comfortable bed, great shower, free wireless, Aveda products for bath and I LOVED the decor, shabby chic with a very open floor plan, large chandelier, fainting couch, original trim and floors. Great price for the room, verses the higher-end trendy hotels in Chicago. Really appreciated staying in a true neighborhood verses the tourist areas.

Things I did not like so much: I was pregnant, and it was my first stay here...I was unaware that my room would be up 3 very steep flights of stairs with no elevator, and no one to assist me with my bags.... Check-in time is during the day, so if you have a later flight, plan on driving around to look for parking (no parking at this hotel either), then stumble up the stairs with your bags... My room door did not lock and was not locked upon arrival, and the staff did not seem to think it was a big deal. When you are a female travelling solo, IT IS. Since the building is older, the water heater kept turning on throughout the night which did keep me awake.

Overall, I really wished that the hotel staff would have been more clear on the accommodations. I would not stay here again if travelling solo, but would with a friend or partner.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business