“Great Experience at Ruby Room”
Review of Ruby Room

Ruby Room
Ranked #146 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great Experience at Ruby Room”
Reviewed 17 August 2009

My wife joined me on a business trip to Chicago last week. We were looking for somewhere outside of the Loop, and found the Ruby Room as it had a great price and great location in Wicker Park. We were blown away at how nice and relaxing the room was, loved the "steam room" feature of the showers, and really dug the area. There are hip, young bars and restaurants nearby. Late check-in was super easy, and the staff was helpful when I needed to fax a document. This place is classic Chicago. With this place, you trade full-service for a great location and cool room. Who needs a bell boy? I would and will definitely go back!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
California
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I really liked staying here. My room (4B) was large, clean, and nicely decorated with a simple, meditative, clean feel. It had high ceilings, wood floors, great mouldings, super comfortable bed and sheets, candles, and a nice modern bathroom with a sauna-like option in the shower that was very relaxing, There was no TV and no phone, which is rare and a I really appreciate this decision -- it helps to break away from the stress, to focus on reading, writing, thinking, meditating (there is free wireless internet). I came on a warm summer night, and there were 4 or 5 interesting restaurants with packed outdoor seating within 2 blocks. There is a frozen kefir store right below -- delicious -- like frozen yogurt. There is a kitchen you can share on the 3rd floor, which is an unusual feature and nice if your staying for a few days. Basically, it was like staying at a friend's beautiful apartment in a great neighborhood. Publication transportation was great; a cab to North Michigan Avenue was $10 and 10 minutes, and I was able to flag one immediately in the morning.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
st. louis, mo
Reviewed 27 April 2009

I could not find a hotel room downtown and my secretary booked me at ruby. It's a different kind of place and I kinda digg it. Hip neighborhood, very well appointed rooms and a relaxing garden in the rear of the property with a waterfall. My hair was a little shaggy so I booked a haircut in their salon and liked it so much I got a facial too. I really like this place.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank candice1964
peoria, il
Reviewed 27 October 2007

My friend and I spent a 2 night spa getaway at the Ruby Room and enjoyed it very much. The deluxe king rooms were spacious and immaculate. The steam showers were fabulous and beds very comfy. No telephones in the rooms is not an issue in todays world of cell phones and no tvs was actually a nice respite. The CD player had a "spa" tape to enhance relaxation.
No elevators and steep stairs could be a problem to some (we thought it was charming and contributed to the unique quality of the building) and on arrival our bags were carried for us.
Our goal was a spa experience, so we did Yoga and had facials and had our auras read (pretty goofy...) The neighborhood has some wonderful restaurants and great shops nearby with an easy walk.
Our goal was a relaxing weekend in a spa environment, but the Ruby Room is also great for business and sports travelers to Chicago. Next time we come up for a play or concert or to shop, the Ruby Room will be the place !

• Liked — steam shower!!!
  • Disliked — I liked it all!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank barla54
Olympia, WA
Reviewed 27 September 2007

Overall, my stay was pleasant, but there are some misrepresentations about their rooms on their website.

Here's the good: the room looked pretty much exactly like the pictures. It was clean, comfortable, pretty, and the bed was very comfortable. Plus, there's a little community kitchen area so I could prepare some of my own food.

Here's some of their spin, and the reality:

The deluxe room is billed as having "loads of sunlight." Actually, the room has two north facing windows that look out at about 8 feet of space and then the wall of the other building. Even if you keep your curtains open (which is unlikely, considering that the windows face the windows of a business directly across), there's only the faintest sunlight.

The garden room theoretically "overlooks the healing garden." Actually, it overlooks the back stairs to the building, which guests use to come and go at night.

Also, the healing garden is actually a large patio with some plants around the edges. It's certainly nice, but I don't think it quite qualifies as a "garden." It does have a little waterfall, however.

Lastly, their website clearly states this but I'll say it too: Definitely be prepared to haul your luggage up the stairs.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank Kaszi
Boston
Reviewed 6 September 2007

My partner and I stayed at Ruby Room during a leisure trip to Chicago. It's a beautiful place and we were treated like kings. Our bed was really incredible. It was the best nights sleep I've had in months. The Wicker Park neighborhood was quaint and we avoided paying the $40/night parking fee we usually pay staying downtown. We will be back.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank JamesH567
New York, NY
Reviewed 5 September 2007

We booked a 'Deluxe Room' at the Ruby Room for a long weekend. We were extremely disappointed by our experience there. Things that would probably bother other travelers did not bother us: the stairs, no telephones/tv's, no room service, small bathroom, and checking in at the spa (yes, it's a bit awkward given the tight space amongst all the products but the staff is friendly and check-in is quick).

Room decor is Target & Ikea meets Shabby Chic & Yoga Ashram. Basically, it's a bizarre mix of cheap furniture and decor. There were other strange things about the room that made it seem half furnished: no nightstand on one side of the bed, no headboard, no cover on the duvet, etc. The bed linens are not 500 thread count as advertised (Note to owners: your customers have eyes and can read tags & many of us shop at Target too). There were fresh flowers in the room when we arrived but they were half dead...but a nice thought had it been executed properly.

Pros:
-Comfortable bed despite not having a headboard
-Aveda products in the bathroom
-Convenient to 'El' and bus
-Convenient to restaurants

Cons:
-Completely OVERPRICED!
-Dirty (inch of dust underneath the bed w/ dust bunnies everywhere, coverlet was stained and no comforter cover)
-No WiFi as advertised. Direct internet connection was extremely slow.
-Paper thin walls (not so relaxing when you can hear everything around you)

Again, we were fully aware that this was not your typical hotel and we were ok with that. But for the price that we paid ($185 per night before taxes), we certainly expected a lot more and at the very least to get what was advertised. Save your money and stay somewhere else.

• Liked — Bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — The price!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple