“Best place to stay to visit Chicago”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chicago
Hansen House Mansion Guest House
Ranked #18 of 22 Chicago B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Hansen House Mansion is a beautifull historic house. Well located in Old town (near metro), near Chicago Lake and Lincoln Parc, we can also go by walk to the river (and the Loop). And Fran is a charming host! Oh! and the price is fair.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeannette D

Reviewed 2 June 2012

The Hansen House Mansion is what a vacation, an adventure, should be. Not only do you get to walk the streets of Old Town (and visit the nearby Chicago History Museum) but you get to sleep and live in history too. From the stained glass parlor on the first floor, complete with great kitchen accommodations, to the old oak stairway to the high ceiling bedrooms, you live in the midst of history. The owner has done a wonderful job keeping things historically accurate. If you want to feel the inlaid hard wood floors of history creak under your feet, the Hansen House, along with the smiling proprietor Fran, is the perfect way to experience the exciting city of Chicago.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony, ask for the third floor suite. Great place with table, chairs and view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank writertype
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Beautiful historic town house in an excellent location for visitors exploring Chicago. Rooms are charming and there is shared access to a well appointed kitchen although there are so many great places to eat nearby. The proprietor met us on arrival and spent a good 30 mins finding out what we wanted to do and offered useful advice and additional recommendations for things to do and see - a real personal service. Parking is free with a residents pass which needs to be changed daily but you need to find a slot on the road. Within 5 mins walk are many bars and restaurants, access to bus stops and "L" station, and Lincoln Park. This was just perfect for my wife and I for a 3 day exploration of Chicago - thanks Fran.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank don c
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Hansen House is a great place to stay. It is well appointed with the charm of a 1886 mansion. The Architects Room is spacious with a gorgeous jewel toned stain glass window and tall windows. The bed is comfortable with lovely linens. A soak in the humongous tub outweighs any inconvenience of no stand-up shower, there is a handheld shower. The kitchen in the house is really nice, as are the sitting rooms. It is an easy 3 block walk to the Brown Line train, buses close by, and taxis close by too. The neighborhood is wonderful with many restaurants, coffee shops, theaters, and right across from Lincoln Park. Staying at Hansen House is like staying in someone's old much loved home. We will stay here again and again in the future. Chicago is terrific.

Room Tip: Architects Room is beautiful and spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VirginiaLily
Reviewed 19 October 2011

What a beautiful home! I can't give this place enough raves. First of all, it has location -- it is around the corner from The Second City theater, and a quick walk to Lincoln Park, which has a botanical garden, a zoo -- a *free* zoo! -- and easy access to the lakeshore. Restaurants, pizza places, sports bars, pubs, cupcake joints, etc. abound.

The mansion itself is stunning. It just drips with Victorian splendor. It looks authentic because it is -- it was designed by architect Harald Hansen in 1886, and it was occupied by Hansen family members until Harald's youngest daughter passed away in 1960.

Have you ever visited a museum house devoted to its famous former occupant, with all the original furniture, fixtures and decorations arranged as closely as possible to the original look and feel of the time period when the original owner lived in it?

When we stayed in the Hansen House Mansion, it felt like that. It's just so beautiful, stuffed to the gills with Victorian furniture and decorations. It has an authentically lived-in feel to it. This is not a sterile environment, and I mean that in a good way. It feels homey and comfortable. Honestly, it seemed like there should have been ropes surrounding each room and huge "DO NOT TOUCH" signs placed everywhere. Instead, we were able to sit in the main room and chat with the hostess, and sleep in a room upstairs. "The Architect's Room" is gorgeously appointed. The room's private bathroom features a big clawfoot bathtub (no shower, just the bathtub, but it comes with a good handheld showerhead), and there's an extra sink & mirror outside of the bathroom, in the main room. Very thoughtful! So one person can doll up & primp while letting someone else use the other sink/mirror in the bathroom area. Some of the furniture in the room makes a better prop than an actual place to sit (because the support/cushioning is long gone), but that didn't matter one bit, because it is so pretty to look at.

There is a common kitchen area that guests are welcome to use downstairs. I took advantage of this and set up the coffee maker for 5:15am in the morning, so I could have a cup of joe while I readied myself for our next adventure.

Fran, the hostess, is just as nice as can be, and is a fellow former New Yorker, so we could tawk :). Before we even arrived, she and I had had a great chat on the phone when I first called, and then we exchanged a couple of emails. Her first email, confirming our room, was chock full of information, describing the neighborhood and its surrounding attractions. The directions via public transportation or taxi were INSANELY detailed. She knew we'd be arriving into the city via Union Station, and tailored the directions based on this. Oh, how I love an establishment run by a former New Yorker. :) She knew we were taking an Amtrak train, and asked for the details so she could track us (as Amtrak trains just sort of show up when they want to, instead of when scheduled). She took the time to ask us if we needed advice, and gave us great suggestions for places that were easy for us to get to.

We would definitely stay here again, and would feel very lucky to do so!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank City P
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Just returned from a lovely four night stay with Fran in her historic Old Town Victorian guest house. Given that it was off season, we were lucky enough to have the whole house to ourselves. The price was very reasonable, the neighborhood quiet, safe, and incredibly convenient to many shops, restaurants, the subway and grocery stores. Our room was the Celestial Chamber, which we chose because of the modern bathroom with large shower and dressing area. Bathroom is not attached to the room, but is literally two steps away. We were given a stack of thick towels for our stay. Although there is not daily maid service, Fran (the owner) came over daily to empty trash and make sure we had everything we needed. She leaves you her cell phone so you can call any time with questions. Our room was spacious and the large, modern ktichen was at our complete disposal. We enjoyed having breakfast (not provided) and delicious coffee (provided) at the house and were on the go for the rest of the day. The nearest grocery store is literally steps away as is a bagel shop and bakeries. You can walk to Second City, the Appollo Theater, and Lincoln Park Zoo and the lakefront bike and walking path.
But the best thing about the stay is the innkeeper, Fran. We called and emailed for weeks before our trip and she gave us wonderful suggestions for all kinds of activities. Our first day she provided maps and directions to sights, transportation and restaurants. She really takes the time to get to know you and your interests. I felt that we were old friends before we even arrived.
As mentioned on this website previously, she also has a friend, Diane, who works for the Chicago Architectural Foundation and will arrange private walking tours of the historic Old Town neighborhood where the Hansen House is located.
Because of the affordable price, one could easily arrange a long term stay and enjoy the many sights of Chicago.

Room Tip: The Celestial Chamber has a very large private and modern bathroom with shower. The Architect's...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HappyNCTraveler
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I stayed in dozens of different hotels during my whole life. What I usually got was just pretty much always a nice, comfortable room with a similar standard. But is this all we are always looking for? Now I try to avoid chain hotels whenever I can and try to stay in family owned businesses. I don’t want to say that the chain hotels are bad, but the family owned businesses are the places which give an opportunity for personal contact with local people. It’s nice to sit down on a sofa or in the armchair and chat for a while rather than stand at the counter asking for an information. I appreciate specious rooms with huge beds etc., but far more important than that is for me when someone offers me its attention and time.

Chicago was one of the places I visited during my around the world trip and I stayed in the Hansen House Mansion in March 2011. I arrived with an open heart full of friendship and this is also what I got in return. I had a nice chat with Fran - the owner of the guest house and my whole stay was very comfortable. Fran gave me her time and attention and that’s what counted. Moreover, we exchange also a few emails after I returned home from my around the world trip and I am sure we will stay in touch.

Great experience! Thanks Fran!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo