“Disappointing and dirty Hanson House Mansion” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hansen House Mansion Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chicago
Hansen House Mansion Guest House
Ranked #18 of 22 Chicago B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Disappointing and dirty Hanson House Mansion”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2008

I reserved Hansen House 9 months in advance for a family reunion. It happens that I live in the area so I asked several times to see the B&B and the owner gave me the run around telling me that the place was always booked. I let is go but in in retrospect, I should have been suspicious.

When we finally got to the place in May, we found it to be well located and quaint but dirty. Its an old place with charm but given its age, cleanliness is very important. There were dust balls everywhere and the rugs were filthy and had not been vacuumed from prior guests. The kitchen smelled and there was uncovered tuna in the frig that gave off an unappetizing smell. The plumbing is old too so we had poor water pressure and practically no hot water on the 3rd floor. One of my guests developed allergies to the dust over the 2 days we stayed at Hanson House. All in all, its hard to recommend it. Its hard to pay over $1000 for someone else's dirt!

Stayed May 2008
4 Thank hobo49
HansenMansion, Owner at Hansen House Mansion Guest House, responded to this review, 24 April 2011
We did try hard to get this guest in to see The Mansion beforehand -- we love to show off! -- and even suggested she come see just the ground floor since the rooms were occupied the few times she could come, but she declined and chose to wait until her arrival.

When guests insist on an early arrival, this does not allow sufficient time to clean and they are advised of that. Then if a guest chooses to use our inn as a vacation home with no visitation from the innkeepers, that option is just fine with us, but it allows for no cleanup during their stay. The plumbing comment is perplexing -- the 60-gallon water heater installed in 2006 has been sufficient at all other times.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
HANOVER PARK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2008

We had a gift certificate for the Hansen House purchased through a promotional offer. Although the booking agent was curt and unpleaseant on the phone, we made our reservation for the only room that we were told was available for that date.

When we arrived, we were greeted with "How did you get in here?" Not, "Hello" or "Welcome."
We replied that we came in throught the front door. We were promptly reprimanded that the front door was supposed to be locked as if it were our responsibility.

The inkeeper gave us a parking permit to be displayed in our window so that we would not receive a ticket for parking overnight. We noticed that the date was written incorrectly. She altered it by writing over the original date. We asked if that was going to be OK. She assured us there would be no problem.

The room was cold and noisy. The shower was far from luxurious and the toilet did not flush well. The accommodations cannot be described as comfortable. Perhaps another room in this inn was better, but we had been informed that no other room was available. No coffee or breakfast was offered. We were told to "Just go down the street."
When we checked out, we asked if anyone else had spent the night, but were told that we were the only ones there. Apparently we did not have the only room available.

After we checked out, we discovered a $50 parking ticket for the altered permit. We called the inkeeper to tell her that we were being held responsible for her error in writing the permit. She replied "It's not my problem!"
We wrote a letter, explaining the alteration of the ticket, it was not forgiven and payment was demanded.

Based on our experience, we would not stay at the Hansen House.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Kathryn W
meganfiely
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2007

My boyfriend and I were in town for a family wedding, and wanted a peaceful haven to escape the numerous family activities. We dislike impersonal hotels and stayed at Hansen Mansion as an alternative to the expensive hotel where the rest of the wedding guests were staying. Although their rooms were definately swanky, everyone was jealous of our "Architect's Quarters".

The rooms were beautiful yet comfortable and home-y. Our mattress was firm and the sheets were clean and turned down for us on our first night. I loved that there were actually books in the shelves in our room--- it appears that our hostess was quite a reader! The bathroom was spacious, and there was an extra sink outside in the main room- a nice perk for the couple who is disposed to quibbling. There was also a good sized closet with shelves and plenty of coat hangers so that guests can "move in" if they'd like.

We especially liked that there was a common kitchen available to us--- a great option for those wishing to save a few dollars on dining (no joke, we paid $20 for two bagels and two coffees at a breakfast place around the block).

The owner/manager of the Hansen House, Fran Ramer, was friendly and accessable. She gave us directions to good restaurants, blues clubs (we had an AWESOME night at the place on Halsted, which I think is called Chicago Blues Club), and directions for the public transit. She obviously loves her job.

In closing, I think that some people are "hotel" people and some people are more the "bed and breakfast" type. If you want a big TV, bright bathrooms with fluorescent lighting, and a conceirge, then, by all means, stay at that place down the street that charges $350 a night. If you'd rather have gorgeous architecture, hardwood floors, an innkeeper with personality, and an escape from the city, the Hansen Mansion is your place!

• Liked — The beautiful room.
  • Disliked — The finicky lock-code thing on the front door.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank meganfiely
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2007

I can't decide which is better, the actual house or its location. The house can be rented out entirely like we did, or just 1 room. We were a group of 7 women who stayed at the Hansen House for a long weekend in June. The property has a great website to help you make a decision.

First the house. The house is 3 stories. On the first floor there is a beautiful living room, dinning room and full kitchen. The second floor has 2 bedrooms. One room has an attached bathroom and is very large. The other room is also a good size, but does not have an attached bath. There is a very large full bathroom on that floor as well. Both rooms are decorated very nice and have queen beds and their own T.V.s. The third floor has 2 bedrooms. 1 room has 2 twin beds and the other room has a queen. These rooms are not as large as the rooms on the second floor. On the third floor there is 1 bathroom. There is a very nice parlor on this floor, with a flat screen TV, mini fridge and coffee pot. This comes in handy so you don't have to run all the way down to the first floor first thing in the morning, or if you want a snack later in the evening. There is also a wonderful large deck off the third floor. All the beds were very comfortable. We mainly used the 3rd floor. This is where we hung out as a group, in the parlor and deck. It was perfect for a large group. We had enough room to visit with each other, but we all had our own space as well. If you are not looking to rent out the whole house I would also recommend the house. If you only need one room, The Architecture Room is the nicest and has its own bathroom. If you need more than 1 room, I would highly recommend getting the 2 rooms on the third floor, then you have a living area and the deck right off of your rooms. The third floor feels and lives like a 2 bedroom apartment.

The location in my opinion is the best in the city. The house is located on a quite street, but just steps away from Old Town. The house is 1 block north of the intersection of Wells and North. Lincoln Park is just around the corner, and the lake is a very short walk. You can use public transportation very easily, buses or the El from this location. It is also a very easy area to find taxis. I love this location because you can experience Chicago as a tourist and get a feel of what it is like to be a local.
There is lots of shopping, restaurants and entertainment. Second City is maybe a block and 1/2 away. There is a large grocery store right there, Treasure Island. You can easily grab a few groceries or have them delivered to the house if you have too much too carry. We had lots of beverages, so we opted to have everything delivered. Every thing you could possibly need is right there. Michigan Ave is a short cab ride or bus ride. I think it is less than 2 miles away. I have walked from this area to Michigan Ave often. I also prefer the nightlife in this area over downtown, Michigan Ave or the loop.

Finally the hostess, Fran, is a very nice and welcoming person. She can give you as much help and service that you want, or can also give you as much privacy as you need. She was very flexible with our large group. Fran was very good at staying in touch with me. When I would email or call her with a question, she would get back to me asap.

The only downside to the house would be if you have problem with stairs. There are lots of stairs up to the 3rd floor. The other is that you have to pay 1/2 up front, cash, and then the rest cash when you arrive. Neither of these things were a problem for us, just wanted to let people know of these 2 thing.

We can't wait for the next trip to Chicago and The Hansen House Mansion.

• Liked — Location, Price, layout
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mrolfes
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2007

My husband and I spent two nights at the Hansen House, $l95 per night plus tax, to great disappointment. The location is excellent, bathrobes were provided, and the room (Architect Quarters) was large. Other than that, the "luxurious' guestrooms were somewhere else and the innkeeper was rude.
This is the first time I have ever written a review to warn others to save their money.

There is no one on-site to check you in you reach your "innkeeper" by telephone. We arrived exactly one hour later than I anticipated after flying in from NY, to find the innkeeper at the other B&B that she runs. When I made the reservation two months earlier, the email did say to call if we were late, but it did not tell us no one would be there if we were. The innkeeper called me AFTER she left the premises, and argued that she had told me to call if we were late: when I protested, she literallh yelled at me to stop, because she would come back to check us in. It was very upsetting to be treated this way and the situation did not improve,

The airconditioning was nonexistent, the windows were dirty, and the bed linens were musty, old, worn and unwashed, including the sheets and blanket. There was no shower, - which was not disclosed - just a bathtub and a hand held spray with no shower curtain and two worn and old bath mats at the sink. There was a one inch square of soap, two tiny plastic gel packs for the shower, and generic shampoo and conditioner in charming glass bottles which someone already had used. The fresh flowers and crystal bedside decanter which the website promised were absent and the mattress had a problem spring in the center.

When we called our off-site innkeeper to request more than two bath towels, she asked if we were "aware" of the two towels in the bathroom so my husband had to explain that we like extra towels for drying our hair! When the hot water ran out after I took my half-bath, I was told she didn't know what to say.

Overall, the "luxurious Deluxe Guestroom" was patently misrepresented. Stay at a Days' Inn, it's cleaner and friendlier.

6 Thank fabtravel
HansenMansion, Owner at Hansen House Mansion Guest House, responded to this review, 14 January 2008
We strive to make our guests' visits as pleasant as possible and rely on feedback to keep the inn up to our standards. We are sorry their experience did not meet their expectations. However, there are several points which we feel show misunderstanding.

1. the "luxurious' guestrooms were somewhere else
1. Some of the luxuries this extremely large guest room offers include the original large Giananni and Hilgart stained glass window reflecting across the bed, the original intricately carved and tiled fireplace, the extra carved pink marble sink in the room, the walk-in closet with mahogany-framed full-length mirror, dressing room with two deep built-in dressers, fine antiques such as the large armoire and carved desk, sitting area with down-filled settee, Bose radio, flat-screen TV and DVD player, and small en-suite library. Many of these are mentioned or pictured on our website, so I'm not sure what other luxuries these guests were seeking.

2. the innkeeper was rude.
2. Our primary job is to make sure our guests enjoy their stay and leave with a positive impression of the home,the neighborhood and Chicago. If the innkeeper were rude to our visitors, we couldn't brag that 65% of our business is repeat or from recommendations of former guests.

3. There is no one on-site to check you in you reach your "innkeeper" by telephone. . . . When we called our off-site innkeeper . . .
3. Actually the only way a guest may gain admission to The Mansion is when they are admitted by the innkeeper. This is precisely why a check-in time is agreed upon in advance. The innkeeper's quarters are within the Mansion, but like anyone else we do venture forth to grocery shop or attend to guests at the other inn, which is why the cell phone is kept on 24 hours a day. Upon arrival guests are given a business card with the number on it and urged to call with any needs at all.

4. We arrived exactly one hour later than I anticipated to find the innkeeper at the other B&B that she runs. When I made the reservation two months earlier, the email did say to call if we were late, but it did not tell us no one would be there if we were. The innkeeper called me AFTER she left the premises, and argued that she had told me to call if we were late: when I protested, she literallh yelled at me to stop
4. Guests choose their own check-in time; again we try to accommodate their travel plans. All communications, including the reservation form they complete, say *please call ahead so someone can be here to let you in*. There was no courtesy call and no answer from the cell phone. Since there was no way to know when they might arrive, it was not fair to leave other guests waiting. When I suggested they go right across the street for a coffee until I returned, as I was only eight blocks away, their language was such that yes, I did ask them to stop.

6. The airconditioning was nonexistent,
6. Guests have 24-hour access to the central air conditioning's control panel. Perhaps they inadvertantly closed the vents in their room, as it runs 24/7 in the summer months.

7. the windows were dirty,
7. This is probably true, and we will try to keep up with it! Again, having this brought to our attention is appreciated, but it is hard to get a ladder up to the second floor as often as we'd like during the busy season.

8.the bed linens were musty, old, worn and unwashed
8. This absolutely is not true. Our 350-count pure cotton bed linens of course are washed, but their deliberate softness may appear worn as compared to polyester blends. I believe the *musty* smell is actually our lavender linen spray.

9. There was no shower, - which was not disclosed - just a bathtub and a hand held spray . .... The fresh flowers and crystal bedside decanter which the website promised were absent
Both the website and the email sent when guests inquire about accommodations state *the private bathroom has the original over-sized clawfoot bathtub with handheld shower.* We've never owned a crystal bedside decanter. We do however keep two wine glasses and a pitcher by the desk in every room. If fresh flowers were absent that day we apologize.

10. There was a one inch square of soap, two tiny plastic gel packs, and generic shampoo and conditioner in charming glass bottles which someone already had used.
10. The 1.75 inch cube of French-milled (extra hard) soap and bath gels are normally sufficient for a two-night stay, but of course they are replaced daily if need be. All shampoo and conditioner bottles are cleaned and refilled for each new arrival. The bottles are not filled right to the top, however, so the glass stopper will not become coated, which may be why these guests felt the bottles were not sufficiently filled.

12 the mattress had a problem spring in the center.
12. The mattress has no springs. Perhaps a blanket was bunched up? We get compliments almost every morning on ourmattresses, and even have sent many grateful guests to my mattress manufacturer!

13. to request more than two bath towels, she asked if we were "aware" of the two towels in the bathroom
13. This was a misunderstanding. When this guest asked if there were any towels, we thought she hadn't seen that were indeed towels in their bathroom. Of course we are happy to supply as many towels as are needed by our guests.

14. When the hot water ran out, I was told she didn't know what to say.
14. This was indeed perplexing. We have two 40-gallon tanks and have never run out of hot water before, even with large groups.

Although there were misunderstandings here, we always appreciate the opportunity to improve our service, and have strived to address these comments fairly and factually. The reviews our other guests write about The Mansion in travel magazines and major newspapers are quite flattering, and I believe they demonstrate that we usually do our job very well. For more reviews, we invite readers to visit our website under *kudos* -- or the much more extensive guestbooks in our inns.