“First Class”

Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
Ranked #24 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our experience was fantastic, The front desk staff was amazing. Very pleasant and professional. When we checked in late in the day our room was still not ready and they quickly upgraded us to a room that was ready. "Sixteen" Outdoor/Indoor Restaurant, Bar and Patio were awesome. Rooms very nice and well appointed. We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Finally had a chance to stay at the Trump in Chicago for one night in July. When checking out, I was asked how my stay was. I said "Fine" to which they replied "Only fine?". I thought for a second and replied "Yes - that's not bad." Fine does sum up my experience.

First, I had to park. With Valet parking exceeding $70 a night I decided to use self parking. Even that was $54. However, my car had an excellent view over the Chicago River to Lake Michigan. I was going to park at a nearby for less but decided to use the self park lot in the Trump building for convenience. However, it isn't so convenient. You have to go to the first floor, go outside, and then back into the Trump lobby. For the price I at least expected direct access to the hotel. I wished I would have parked at an equally close but $9 cheaper alternative.

Check in was wonderful. The personable clerk was friendly and efficient. In a low key way he inquired about my plans while in Chicago. The warm towel was very nice. They even let me check in a few hours early. So far, this was great.

Upon entering the room (Deluxe with city view), I was surprised that it wasn't larger. There was a large entry hallway where the "kitchen" items were - dishwasher, microwave, mini fridge, coffee maker, etc. The bathroom was fine - single sink with toilet and a glass wall separating the shower/bath area. The toiletries were nice but difficult to get out of the stylish bottles. Only one bar of soap was left in the room although there was shower gel.

The part of the room with the bed was not noticeably large - I was expecting more. The bed was quite comfortable. The TV and internet were great. I have a Nespresso coffee machine at home so I liked having one in the room.

This was definitely a view of the city facing away from the lake. At least I wasn't in a room looking directly at the Langham which was across the street. The draperies were controlled by switches on the wall. The switches were behind a table that contained four bottles of outrageously priced waters. When reaching over one time I knocked some bottles over. If I had to pay the $25 for "Bling" water (plus at least tax) I would have been upset. Luckily the bottles didn't break.

Upon returning in the evening, turndown was done. Robes were placed across the bed, water on the nightstand, and an electronic aquarium was on the TV (very nice touch). After carefully closing the drapes I went to bed and had a good night of sleep. No noises from the city.

Based on the outrageous room service prices, I decided to join other guests who picked up breakfast at one of the very nearby places. On my return I discovered coffee/tea in the lobby. That coffee was quite good.

Checkout went well and then a trip back outdoors to the self park entrance. I thought it was odd that I couldn't charge the self parking to the room but that's not really a big issue.

Having stayed at other 5* hotels in Chicago, I found the Trump fine but not outstanding. Not much to differentiate it from nearby 4.5* (Conrad) and 4* (Palomar) hotels in Chicago. In my opinion the Langham across the street is far better in almost all aspects for very similar pricing. The Trump did have the kitchenette but I really don't find that to be a useful addition to the room.

Not a lot of complaints (for example, elevators were always a longer wait than expected, housekeeping ran the dishwasher at turndown for just one glass and one coffee cup) but for me the "Wow" factor ended after check-in.

As initially stated, the stay was fine but I'm certainly not going to pay Trump prices again when better-than-fine alternatives are available.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Bippie
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Awesome hotel with great amenities. Breakfast at Sixteen was awesome. Nadine went out of her way to straighten up our mixed up room situation when another snotty employee would not. Great views of river, lake, and city. Very romantic!

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor available for optimal view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank headrick3
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago for your romantic getaway and for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to read our team was able to assist in amending any inconvenience you had with your reservation and that ultimately you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming your return in the near future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I must say that the people at Trump do their job very well nearly all the time and the facilities are first rate.
The room we booked was a king suite with a city view and it was spectacular. Very spacious and extremely clean with all the amenities including an espresso machine with the coffee and tea provided as well as a full kitchen(silverware included).
The wifi is included and is easy to access every time as well as an excellent HD TV. The housekeeping staff would turn down our room and have the "aquarium mode" on when we returned, as well as the lights turned down low...a nice relaxing touch to return to after a day in Chicago.
The only complaint I have concerns my response from the staff when asked if the alcohol could be removed from our room. I had initially emailed stating we were visiting to celebrate our anniversary and that we did not drink alcohol(code for "I'm a recovering alcoholic"). I then called a week prior to ask if the alcohol could be removed and the reply was "we could but there would be a fee involved". This was a little disheartening.
Despite my only complaint we would certainly recommend Trump to anyone and will be visiting again I'm certain.
One last note, the gym is fabulous and made my workout better than most while on vacation.
Highly recommend Trump and was worth what we paid.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your appraisal of our team's efforts to ensure you had an enjoyable experience and that you found comfort and convenience in your room. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback of the wifi, turndown service, and other amenities you highlighted. We truly appreciate you recommending Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and I look forward to welcoming your return in the near future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at the Trump Hotel again and it still is wonderful. From the moment you arrive they really make you feel welcome and pampered. The accommodations are beautiful and everything is perfect. The location is great right along the Chicago River so it is convenient for the walking along the river, lake or Michigan Avenue. Didn't use the spa or exercise facilities but they are both fabulous. The restaurant has a beautiful view and of course great food. If you want to stay at one of the best hotels in Chicago this is the place.

Room Tip: All rooms are great it is just personal preference if you want a city view or a river/lake view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I was happy to read you felt welcomed and pampered upon your arrival to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. It is pleasing to read your appraisal of our facilities and property and to learn of your enjoyment of Sixteen and your overall experience. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We visit Chicago around 3 or 4 times every year, and always stay at The Trump while we're there. In spite of it's associations with it's famed owner, the quality of the staff and the hotel/rooms is beyond compare. And it's just a delightful hotel to stay in! We love every room we've had the opportunity to stay in while there, but prefer the 1 bedroom suites when we can get them. The gym facilities are amazing; the food and drinks offered at both Rebar and Sixteen is all rave-worthy; the front doormen and front desk staff are all extremely accommodating and friendly. The views from every room, restaurant, and terrace are gorgeous. Highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for a great location in the loop!

Room Tip: We like the 1-bedroom suites, but honestly, even the studio suites are very spacious and comfortable...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for your continued loyalty to our hotel. I was pleased to read all of your positive feedback regarding your experience in our Fitness Center, Rebar and Sixteen as well as your interaction with our team. It is truly an honor to learn Trump Chicago is your home away from home and we certainly look forward to welcoming your return soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had a great experience at the Trump, It is a top rate facility and the staff is very professional and accopmodating. The view of either the river or the city is breathtaking from an upper floor. It has a great central location, too. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mark M
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent experience at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read your appraisal of our facilities and team, and we appreciate you recommending our hotel. I look forward to the opportunity to welcome your return.