“Fantastic and enjoyable--Chef Bernacci is amazing!”

Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
Ranked #24 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 January 2009

I live in Chicago, but had the chance to stay at Trump a few months ago and couldn't pass it up. I've traveled quite a bit and stayed in everything from lowly hostels (Amsterdam, Munich, etc.) to a plantation-style resort (Costa Rica). Plus, I used to work in the hotel industry and got to see lots of "behind the scenes" detail.

This experience gives me, IMHO, a pretty balanced take on what to expect from a luxury stay. With that perspective, I can confidently say that Trump deserves top marks and recognition as a luxury location.

I don't fault other reviewers for their notes on attention to detail and expectations of service. Certainly, they have a right to expect nothing but the best. What puzzles me is the quality and number of accolades each review gives, only to leave behind a low star rating!

My experience: greeted warmly and asked if we needed help to our room. As noted, we're from Chicago and didn't have much stuff, so we went alone. The room was stunning. Our view faced the Northwest, which is prettiest at night. Of course I would have enjoyed a better view of downtown, but that was my doing--can't fault the hotel there!

My wife and I got a couples massage--my first massage ever--in the exquisite spa. Seriously, it's the kind of place you only see in movies. The attention and service there was perfect. For a guy who didn't think he could lay still for an hour massage, I was surprisingly happy as a clam. What a wonderful experience.

We went back to the room and ordered dinner. When they brought it in, our table was transformed and I felt like I was in a 5-star restaurant. Very nice.

The food is mind-blowing. I had the chance to try an appetizer at the bar at Trump a few months earlier and still rave about it. The full meal was even better. Perhaps most impressive is that they were able to get everything up to the room hot and tasty. The was the first time I've had room service where the quality hadn't been compromised.

We'd planned on going out in the evening, but opted to stay in. I think it's a good sign for Trump when I'd rather lay around and watch pay-per-view (IronMan) in bed instead of heading a block over to Andy's Jazz!

Our breakfast the next morning was wonderful, and our check-out experience flawless. I found every person to be helpful and pleasant and the quality of the rooms and amenities world-class.

If you are just looking for a place to crash and have a few hundred dollars to spend, you're going to get a great bed and fantastic food. If you're looking for a nice getaway, whether from Chicago or not, Trump is a memorable indulgence. Rather than trying to convince yourself if wasn't worth it, relish the experience: visit the spa, eat the food, get a drink in the bar--let yourself feel like royalty for a bit! You won't regret it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Chris S

Reviewed 12 January 2009

I recently stayed at the Trump following the Christmas Holidays. It was an opportunity to relax and spend some time with my nephew. The stay was such an amazing experience, from start to finish. My nephew loved the milk and cookies and the fact that there was an X-box waiting for him made the whole weekend. The rooms are beautifully appointed and immaculately kept. The pool/spa has to be one of the most relaxing I've ever visited. Brunch at 16 was exquisite, the view breathtaking! I highly recommend the whole experience. I can't wait to return for another weekend getaway.

2  Thank warmthoughts
Reviewed 7 January 2009

I have been a lurker on this site for a couple years and after my recent stay at Trump I decided that I needed to write a review about my experience.
I have stayed at Trump three times now. The first two times were phenomenal! My family and I have always stayed in the “46 type” room between the 19-23 floors. We love the view of the Wrigley Building and the magnificent Chicago lake front and river. The rooms were always flawless, the service was great and there was not much more that we could ask for.
Upon arrival our favorite doorman, MK, greeted us by name, said he was so glad that we were back and helped us to check in as usual. It was a great start to what should have been a fabulous stay. Then things started going downhill, first of all, we had to wait a good 5 minutes before anyone came to the front desk. Where was all the staff? One of the male concierge’s came over and started chatting with us; he was charismatic and let us know that if there was anything he could do for us, to please let him know. Well, there is something he could have done, he could have either checked us in or got someone to check us in. Instead of doing either of those things he went back to his desk and started chatting with one of his coworkers.
When someone finally did check us in they were very nice. She acknowledged that we were return guests and said she was glad that we had come back to stay at Trump. Then she gave us our keys. I need to stop here for a second. The last two times I have stayed at this hotel not only was I not handed my keys, I had someone take my family up to the room, show us where things were and of course open the door for us. As I took the key, I didn’t think too much of it, but after everything that happened during our stay I can now see how our stay was destined for disaster from the get go.
When we got to our room, everything was beautiful as usual, our youngest daughter called down to attaché to see if she could get an XBOX, and they obliged, two hours later it wasn’t in our room and when we called down to inquire we found out that they had left for the night. In previous stays we had always called the attaché desk as late as 11:00pm with someone there to grant our wishes and now at 9:00pm no one was there? It wasn’t even a holiday.
Before heading out for some shopping my husband and I decided we wanted to stop by the concierge desk to see our favorite concierge Alexzandra. To our dismay we found out that she was recently transferred to another property. When we did ask the concierge questions the girl either didn’t know the answer or was robotic. I don’t ask that much of a concierge, but when I want to go to a fine dining option that isn’t as mainstream as Charlie Trotters I expect the concierge to deliver, and she did not.
As a family we heavily rely on a concierge. We like to be able to throw out an idea and have the concierge make it happen, and on this trip things just weren’t the same. We decided to go to restaurants we had already been to since the two concierges we spoke to could not come up with anything that we hadn’t already been to. My oldest daughter is a fashion forward 16 year old who loves exploring Chicago’s indie neighborhoods. Normally the concierge would come up with a detailed plan of attack for her stay, but no one seemed interested in providing a level of service that actually required some thought. Needless to say we were disappointed and she was bored.
I think the most disappointing service issue we had was that there was an overall lack of attention given to my family. The only person who called my family by name was MK, all of the other staff members didn’t even make an effort to address us by name. No one was particularly rude, but at the five star level I want extraordinary and that is what I used to get at the Trump, and it is a shame that that is no longer the case.
During our first two trips to the Trump, service seemed to be of the utmost importance to this hotel, they had staff everywhere. They had great staff. Now, it seems like they are cutting back on their most valuable asset and forgetting why their customers stay there. I don’t stay at a hotel to be left alone; I stay at a hotel to be pampered! I want somebody to open the door for me, I want the concierge to know my name and I want to be escorted to my room. When I am paying thousands of dollars a night, I expect the best, and Trump did not deliver.
Mr. Trump, you have a lot invested in this property, I advise you to go and stay there. I think you should see what your hard earned money has bought you. This hotel is slipping, I have quite honestly received better service at Holiday Inn’s then I did on my last stay at your hotel. We used to LOVE your hotel, my daughters begged me to bring them back here, but after the service (lack of) we received on our most recent visit we will be going back to the Peninsula, as they have continually met our needs without a bat of the eye.
I don’t want a refund for my stay, I want my time back and that is far more valuable than any monetary sum this hotel could refund me.

8  Thank Liahkam
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Ours was a disappointing experience. Sure the rooms are large and the gym is great but that's about it.
We checked in on Sunday evening( 3 rooms). No one showed us to our rooms--""heres the keys and use them to go up in the elevator". Thats all. No one accompanied us as other writers have noted.
The next morning problems began. There was inadequate water pressure and the water temperature was tepid. My sons, in their rooms, experienced the same. I, of course complained and was assured that it would be rectified. When we returned later, the bathroom was left a mess by the engineer. I was told it was fixed.
The next day I discovered that the water pressure and the temperature was not fixed and I had to use the gym to have a hot shower. Now I was really upset. The hotel then sent 2 engineers who spent 2 hours sharing our room trying to fix it. Their 1st effort failed but eventually they got it right.
The doormen were hit and miss--some times they opened the doors and other times. they didn't.
The concierge desk usually, but not always, was manned. Although we were there for 3 nights, I only saw a "clefs d'or" once and then only for a brief period.
The bar has a drink menu and prices. Yet, they charged more. When questioned, we were told the menu was wrong. When told they can't so that, the waitress threw down the bill.
They also closed the bar early.
Not once did I ever see a manager. Not once did anyone with any level of authority ask about our stay. I was told that the managers are on the 2d floor and therefore didn't interact with the guests. Compare this with a 4 Seasons etc where a management rep is always present.
Now here is the height of chutzpah. The trump does not have a guest comment card in the room. Instead they sent me an e-mail form which was user unfriendly--I had to answer all questions although not relevant. Last but not least, the form asked how much money I make. What does this have to do with how Trump is operating his hotel
In conclusion, this is a poorly managed hotel.

13  Thank pamshusband
Reviewed 29 December 2008

After being bumped from the W Lakeshore because they were oversold, hotels.com helped secure me a room at the Trump. It was like dying and going to heaven. As dank and dismal as the W is, the Trump is nothing short of one of the finest properties I've ever stayed at. In addition to large, spacious, luxurious, sumptuous rooms and bathrooms, the real story here is impeccable service from the most professional staff I've experienced and interacted with. From top to bottom - the doormen, the reception staff, the concierges, there is AAA quality that is so rare these days. This must be the nicest property in Chicago these days, if not the nicest in the country. Absolutely 10 out of 10 experience for the discerning traveler and I highly, highly recommend. It is one of the few places that is expensive and worth it. My only regret is staying for only two nights. I would've loved to stay for a month.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank jdr27
Reviewed 22 December 2008

The Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago is a nice enough hotel. It is relatiely new, so (most of) the decor is fresh and unspoiled.

I booked directly with the hotel. I explained that I had the online floorplan in front of me as I was talking, and was only interested in the larger of the two-bedroom suites. (The '00' floorplan.) I didn't look at any other floorplans, since I wanted the best available room and, based on the floorplan, that was obviously it. I was quoted the rate, and reserved my room.

Case closed, right?

The room rate, plus taxes, for a two-bedroom suite ends up being just under $2,000/night.

It's not like I'd committed the floorplan to memory, much less those of other rooms/suites. When I arrived at my room, something just wasn't right. I didn't know what it was, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting.

Still, my stay was relatively uneventful. I had a few problems with housekeeping, and staff getting the name wrong in correspondence. But nothing that would specifically preclude me from staying at the Trump hotel (Chicago) again. It was only after arriving home that I realized why the room seemed less than impressive.

About a week after my stay, I went online to show someone why I'd booked that particular room. (Clearly, in the floorplan, you can see the '00' rooms are the biggest, and thus, probably the best, in my books.) Only then did I realize the hotel staff had given me the smaller two-bedroom suite. I couldn't believe it. Not only had I specifically booked the '00' floorplan, clearly stating that I did not want the smaller two-bedroom suite, but all my "eAttache" correspondence referred to the larger two-bedroom floorplan, as well.

If this was an innocent mistake, then it falls right in line with the myriad other little mistakes staff made during my stay. (Nothing major. Just puzzling.) However, I suspect they just didn't want to put me in the larger suite...for whatever "reason."

So, while I would have likely stayed there again had I either been put in the correct room, or never learned of the switcheroo, I must admit that since learning of this, I have zero plans to stay at Trump again.

The thing is, I'm going to Chicago again in a couple of weeks. I'll likely stay at Park Hyatt or some other hotel where the two-bedroom suite I book, is the two-bedroom suite I get. Imagine that!

Stayed: September 2008
8  Thank LastMinuteDecision
Reviewed 12 December 2008

We stayed here for our annual "Christmas in the City" with our kids (staying downtown to enjoy Chicago this time of year and making it a "special treat").

We had one of the one-bedroom suites. At about 1100 square feet, there was plenty of space for the 4 of us to stretch out. The decor is wonderful (modern, but not over the top). Good color pallate, too - very relaxing. The "fireplace" in the room was purely for show, though (no heat - just the appearance of a fireplace with red lights to simulate the fire).

The king bed was very comfortable and the "pillow menu" allows you to specify the number and type of pillows you'd like to have for the room (my wife and daughters each had their own body pillow in addition to the standard pillow and I had one of the contour pillows that supports your head better than a standard pillow). My only issue is that the sofabed is somewhere between a full and queen in size - not quite big enough for my two daughters (9 and 7), so we ended up sharing the king bed, too.

Nice in-room amenities including fridge, microwave, cooktop, sink, and dishware to cook/reheat your food (if you bring in or have them cook in the room for you - too pricey for us). The Nepresso (sp?) espresso maker was also much appreciated.

The girls also enjoyed the pool (at the healthclub/spa) particularly since, at this time of year, there was no one else in it - they felt like princesses with their own pool!

We'd certainly come back and recommend to our visiting friends/relatives.

2  Thank JRock_64