“Beautiful Hotel Stuck up service”

Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
Ranked #27 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas
“Beautiful Hotel Stuck up service”
Reviewed 8 February 2009

When we arrived at Trump Towers the hotel was amazing! At the reception desk they had my name wrong in the computer so I corrected them. Then they asked for a donation. We decided to do the donation at the end of the trip. Apparently if you do not give a donation you will be treated differently. From then on the front staff was extremely snobby. We stayed four nights and they called us by the wrong name daily. We were waiting on a cab and another "more important" guest walked out and they tried to give our cab to them. The nice lady reminded the guy that we were waiting first. Rebar has a great view but good luck getting a table. They had a private function 2 nights that were were there and the other night all of the tables were reserved but no one was there. The drinks are over priced and the service is less than desirable. There is no other bar to go to in the hotel. Our ice machine broke twice while we were there and they did not fix it for 2 days. FYI there is not an ice machine on the floor. you have to call room service and they bring it 2 hours later. No wonder they have a hard time filling their hotel rooms. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Stop in and take a look but there are so many other lovely, non-snobbish hotels. For the amount of money that you spend to stay in this overpriced hotel service should be awesome. We did not leave a donation at this money hungry establishment.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank 56peggy56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
chicago
Reviewed 2 February 2009

This hotel is first class all the way. The service is A++. Everyone that we encountered went out of their way to take care of us. Our room was amazing, very comfortable with a beautiful view (even in the winter!). We ate at Sixteen which was very expensive but great food, incredible service and perfect views. The Rebar was very fun. We used the spa for several services and had very mixed feelings. Everything was first class here but every time we were in the spa there were screaming children running around. We have used many spas and have never encountered this before. All guests at the hotel can use the spa locker room, pool and health club area so guests with children were using it at the same time we were trying to have a relaxing spa experience. we have 4 children and love kids but we were trying to get away for a couple of days!

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — spa
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank suzim64
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 15 January 2009

We were fortunate to have a one night stay through
amex preferred hotels and got an unbelievable rate
of 329 which included 100 spa credit and 60 breakfast
or room service credit and complimentary room upgrade.
My kids were so happy when upon arrival they were
greeted with peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies
atop their chocolate personalized plates.
They also were given children's robes and their own
TRUMP calling card(PINK) complete with their individual
names and the trump tower address.
The adults were given two gift boxes of premier chocolates
and a hand signed TRUMP welcome letter.The aromatherapy neck and eye pillows which were heated were a nice touch
and of course the bose system with docking station added to the relaxing ambience.
The spa services were wonderful as was the pool area.
THe locker rooms were stocked with every amenity possible
and the kohler shower spa experience was so relaxing.
Everyone was very accommodating and cordial
and referred to us by name.
Don't hesitate to book your next stay at the trump hotel.

• Liked — service and beauty of the hotel
  • Disliked — loved everything
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank napervilletraveler
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 12 January 2009

I live in Chicago, but had the chance to stay at Trump a few months ago and couldn't pass it up. I've traveled quite a bit and stayed in everything from lowly hostels (Amsterdam, Munich, etc.) to a plantation-style resort (Costa Rica). Plus, I used to work in the hotel industry and got to see lots of "behind the scenes" detail.

This experience gives me, IMHO, a pretty balanced take on what to expect from a luxury stay. With that perspective, I can confidently say that Trump deserves top marks and recognition as a luxury location.

I don't fault other reviewers for their notes on attention to detail and expectations of service. Certainly, they have a right to expect nothing but the best. What puzzles me is the quality and number of accolades each review gives, only to leave behind a low star rating!

My experience: greeted warmly and asked if we needed help to our room. As noted, we're from Chicago and didn't have much stuff, so we went alone. The room was stunning. Our view faced the Northwest, which is prettiest at night. Of course I would have enjoyed a better view of downtown, but that was my doing--can't fault the hotel there!

My wife and I got a couples massage--my first massage ever--in the exquisite spa. Seriously, it's the kind of place you only see in movies. The attention and service there was perfect. For a guy who didn't think he could lay still for an hour massage, I was surprisingly happy as a clam. What a wonderful experience.

We went back to the room and ordered dinner. When they brought it in, our table was transformed and I felt like I was in a 5-star restaurant. Very nice.

The food is mind-blowing. I had the chance to try an appetizer at the bar at Trump a few months earlier and still rave about it. The full meal was even better. Perhaps most impressive is that they were able to get everything up to the room hot and tasty. The was the first time I've had room service where the quality hadn't been compromised.

We'd planned on going out in the evening, but opted to stay in. I think it's a good sign for Trump when I'd rather lay around and watch pay-per-view (IronMan) in bed instead of heading a block over to Andy's Jazz!

Our breakfast the next morning was wonderful, and our check-out experience flawless. I found every person to be helpful and pleasant and the quality of the rooms and amenities world-class.

If you are just looking for a place to crash and have a few hundred dollars to spend, you're going to get a great bed and fantastic food. If you're looking for a nice getaway, whether from Chicago or not, Trump is a memorable indulgence. Rather than trying to convince yourself if wasn't worth it, relish the experience: visit the spa, eat the food, get a drink in the bar--let yourself feel like royalty for a bit! You won't regret it.

• Liked — The opulence and location.
  • Disliked — Didn't have enough time to enjoy it all!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Chris S
chicago
Reviewed 12 January 2009

I recently stayed at the Trump following the Christmas Holidays. It was an opportunity to relax and spend some time with my nephew. The stay was such an amazing experience, from start to finish. My nephew loved the milk and cookies and the fact that there was an X-box waiting for him made the whole weekend. The rooms are beautifully appointed and immaculately kept. The pool/spa has to be one of the most relaxing I've ever visited. Brunch at 16 was exquisite, the view breathtaking! I highly recommend the whole experience. I can't wait to return for another weekend getaway.

• Liked — Beautifully appointed and immaculate
2 Thank warmthoughts
Liahkam
Reviewed 7 January 2009

I have been a lurker on this site for a couple years and after my recent stay at Trump I decided that I needed to write a review about my experience.
I have stayed at Trump three times now. The first two times were phenomenal! My family and I have always stayed in the “46 type” room between the 19-23 floors. We love the view of the Wrigley Building and the magnificent Chicago lake front and river. The rooms were always flawless, the service was great and there was not much more that we could ask for.
Upon arrival our favorite doorman, MK, greeted us by name, said he was so glad that we were back and helped us to check in as usual. It was a great start to what should have been a fabulous stay. Then things started going downhill, first of all, we had to wait a good 5 minutes before anyone came to the front desk. Where was all the staff? One of the male concierge’s came over and started chatting with us; he was charismatic and let us know that if there was anything he could do for us, to please let him know. Well, there is something he could have done, he could have either checked us in or got someone to check us in. Instead of doing either of those things he went back to his desk and started chatting with one of his coworkers.
When someone finally did check us in they were very nice. She acknowledged that we were return guests and said she was glad that we had come back to stay at Trump. Then she gave us our keys. I need to stop here for a second. The last two times I have stayed at this hotel not only was I not handed my keys, I had someone take my family up to the room, show us where things were and of course open the door for us. As I took the key, I didn’t think too much of it, but after everything that happened during our stay I can now see how our stay was destined for disaster from the get go.
When we got to our room, everything was beautiful as usual, our youngest daughter called down to attaché to see if she could get an XBOX, and they obliged, two hours later it wasn’t in our room and when we called down to inquire we found out that they had left for the night. In previous stays we had always called the attaché desk as late as 11:00pm with someone there to grant our wishes and now at 9:00pm no one was there? It wasn’t even a holiday.
Before heading out for some shopping my husband and I decided we wanted to stop by the concierge desk to see our favorite concierge Alexzandra. To our dismay we found out that she was recently transferred to another property. When we did ask the concierge questions the girl either didn’t know the answer or was robotic. I don’t ask that much of a concierge, but when I want to go to a fine dining option that isn’t as mainstream as Charlie Trotters I expect the concierge to deliver, and she did not.
As a family we heavily rely on a concierge. We like to be able to throw out an idea and have the concierge make it happen, and on this trip things just weren’t the same. We decided to go to restaurants we had already been to since the two concierges we spoke to could not come up with anything that we hadn’t already been to. My oldest daughter is a fashion forward 16 year old who loves exploring Chicago’s indie neighborhoods. Normally the concierge would come up with a detailed plan of attack for her stay, but no one seemed interested in providing a level of service that actually required some thought. Needless to say we were disappointed and she was bored.
I think the most disappointing service issue we had was that there was an overall lack of attention given to my family. The only person who called my family by name was MK, all of the other staff members didn’t even make an effort to address us by name. No one was particularly rude, but at the five star level I want extraordinary and that is what I used to get at the Trump, and it is a shame that that is no longer the case.
During our first two trips to the Trump, service seemed to be of the utmost importance to this hotel, they had staff everywhere. They had great staff. Now, it seems like they are cutting back on their most valuable asset and forgetting why their customers stay there. I don’t stay at a hotel to be left alone; I stay at a hotel to be pampered! I want somebody to open the door for me, I want the concierge to know my name and I want to be escorted to my room. When I am paying thousands of dollars a night, I expect the best, and Trump did not deliver.
Mr. Trump, you have a lot invested in this property, I advise you to go and stay there. I think you should see what your hard earned money has bought you. This hotel is slipping, I have quite honestly received better service at Holiday Inn’s then I did on my last stay at your hotel. We used to LOVE your hotel, my daughters begged me to bring them back here, but after the service (lack of) we received on our most recent visit we will be going back to the Peninsula, as they have continually met our needs without a bat of the eye.
I don’t want a refund for my stay, I want my time back and that is far more valuable than any monetary sum this hotel could refund me.

8 Thank Liahkam
Westlake Village, California
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Ours was a disappointing experience. Sure the rooms are large and the gym is great but that's about it.
We checked in on Sunday evening( 3 rooms). No one showed us to our rooms--""heres the keys and use them to go up in the elevator". Thats all. No one accompanied us as other writers have noted.
The next morning problems began. There was inadequate water pressure and the water temperature was tepid. My sons, in their rooms, experienced the same. I, of course complained and was assured that it would be rectified. When we returned later, the bathroom was left a mess by the engineer. I was told it was fixed.
The next day I discovered that the water pressure and the temperature was not fixed and I had to use the gym to have a hot shower. Now I was really upset. The hotel then sent 2 engineers who spent 2 hours sharing our room trying to fix it. Their 1st effort failed but eventually they got it right.
The doormen were hit and miss--some times they opened the doors and other times. they didn't.
The concierge desk usually, but not always, was manned. Although we were there for 3 nights, I only saw a "clefs d'or" once and then only for a brief period.
The bar has a drink menu and prices. Yet, they charged more. When questioned, we were told the menu was wrong. When told they can't so that, the waitress threw down the bill.
They also closed the bar early.
Not once did I ever see a manager. Not once did anyone with any level of authority ask about our stay. I was told that the managers are on the 2d floor and therefore didn't interact with the guests. Compare this with a 4 Seasons etc where a management rep is always present.
Now here is the height of chutzpah. The trump does not have a guest comment card in the room. Instead they sent me an e-mail form which was user unfriendly--I had to answer all questions although not relevant. Last but not least, the form asked how much money I make. What does this have to do with how Trump is operating his hotel
In conclusion, this is a poorly managed hotel.

• Liked — the size of the rooms
  • Disliked — poor service
13 Thank pamshusband