“Luxurious January was a special treat”

Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
Ranked #30 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Ulm
“Luxurious January was a special treat”
Reviewed 11 January 2010

An overly-attentive staff member at the check-in desk was off-putting. My husband had not even checked-in yet and some guy was trying to take our bags. The warmed wet, scented wash cloths for our tired hands was a nice-surprise. The location of the hotel is prime. If you want to enjoy a stay at this fabulous address I suggest you take advantage of the four-night stay for $209 like we did. Save money on dining and get bigger servings of food by trying the Corner Bakery up the street or the South Water Kitchen for Zagat-rated dining at half the price of the breakfast at the Trump restaurant. Remember there is room-service and it is lovely, but know this: the prices match the service. In other words, be prepared to pay a lot for it. There is a $4 delivery charge plus additional rates that apply.
The room was lovely with in-room kitchen, fridge, safe, stove and utensils, but for what we needed the Spa was enough. The bathroom had a nice shower and tub, but the Spa outdid the inroom tub and shower. The narrow lay out of the room and the view from our room was somewhat dissatisfying since I would have preferred being up highter, and I kept whacking my knee on the bench at the foot of the bed facing the dresser and TV. We didn't use the pillow menu at all since I counted at least 6 pillows on our California King bed. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable and the clock radio was a nice one.
The DVD player on our TV was not connected but my husband checked behind the TV and plugged the DVD player in so I could watch George Clinton's Funkadelic Video we bought for 11 bucks (along with a lot more great CD's and DVD's at the nearby F.Y.E. Store.) Each day you get an inspirational card by your bed, and free bottles of Trump Water. There is a complimentary turn-down at night that may or may not be annoying to some who are trying to dress to go out at night. There is free tea, and a variety of free espresso for the machine in your room.
As for the kitchen, I must say the fridge and countertops are somewhat cluttered with foodstuffs and treats they are trying to sell you. It was a struggle to put a piece of pizza in the fridge with all the bottles of booze and drinks in them. Note; Ice is not free. This hotel room could be an apartment you can cook in if you want.
I was worried throughout my stay that Trump International would not make it since there are so few customers visible, just staff. Perhaps it is a slow time in Chicago, but I hope that the staff and services continue and the hotel can make it in these times. \
We were the only two patrons at breakfast in Sixteen on Saturday morning. What I found irritating was a man in a suit who came to our table, did not introduce himself but started asking us questions. Here is what we want. Leave us alone, unless you tell us who you are and what it is you want. If you think we want to meet you, think again. In spite of strangers interrupting us in mouthfuls of food, the restaurent was ok, but very, very expensive. A glass of orange juice is 7 dollars, eggs are 8 dollars. The menu is limited and the servings are really small, but the coffee is good. Trump hires a lot of immigrants and this is the nature of city-dwellers. Nevertheless, take our advice, lay off the questions and leave us alone is the motto of utter discretion. While I know this guy, whoever he was, was trying to be friendly, we are on vacation and do not want to have to make nice, especially to strangers. The staff could do with more training. The lady at the front-desk didn't know whether there was a breakfast menu or buffet served in the mornings at the restaurent, nor did she know how the in-room fast check out on the TV menu worked.
She eventually found out the answers to my questions but did not know things off the top of her head!
8 things to do in Chicago: Go to the Museum of Science and Industry, Visit Macy's = the old Marshall Fields men store, on State. Go to a Broadway show in the Theatre District, Go to Lincoln Park Zoo, and Conservatory. Visit the Chicago Institute of Art. Go to the Millenium Park. Visit Imax at Navy Pier (we just saw Avatar in 3-D on Imax) Check out Buddy Guy in concert if you can! We did and he was great!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MollySiesta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
chicago
Reviewed 18 December 2009

There is not much to say about the Trump that hasn’t been said in numerous reviews before me. The bottom line is that this hotel is absolutely immaculate. The rooms are very spacious and include luxurious amenities including high-end spa products. The bathrooms are very spacious. The entire room appears to be designed specifically with customer functionality in mind.

The hotel seems to work very hard to maintain its 5 star reputation. We will continue to visit.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank cjgentile
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, 22 December 2009
Dear Guest-

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago.

I am very pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you regard our hotel to be one of the best.

I look forward to an opportunity to welcome your return to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago in the near future.

madison wi
Reviewed 14 December 2009

My husband and I recently celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Trump Hotel in Chicago. Complimentary champagne & chocolate covered strawberries were in our room upon arrival. What a nice touch!! Our room was very comfortable and larger than most hotels that we have stayed at. The staff was very accommodating. Always smiling and engaging in conversation. The hotel is situated within walking distance to Michigan Avenue and should be a great place to take in the riverwalk in the summer. Next time we will try their main dining room. The brunch looked fantastic, a bit pricey but the view and the food! The architecture is a sight to behold.

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank klhMadisonWi
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, 17 December 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your wedding anniversary with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago in the very near future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 December 2009

I have a wonderful view of Trump from my office, so we thought it would be fun to stay there one weekend. We walked to Trump after work and checked in. The bellhops at the door are nice, but it doesn't seem like there is a real system they have developed for getting in and out of the hotel lobby, i.e. opening doors and unpacking luggage for guests. There were some moments where they ran to open the door for us, and other times where we just did it ourselves. Not a big deal, just something I noticed. The lobby is nice, but small. You have to scan your room key in the elevator to get up to your room, which some may think is inconvienant, however I think its a great extra security feature. Our suite on the 27th floor was fantastic. The room was spacious, roomy, all modern appliances in the kitchenette, and was very lush. It was everything I would have thought a Trump room would be like, and then some. The bathroom was awesome, double sinks, hair dryer in the drawer, dim lighting, TV in the mirror, all very cool and romantic. When we arrived the maid was still servicing the room (which i thought was odd for a 5:30pm check in), however she was pretty much done and said she'd come back because we told her we were just dropping our stuff off and leaving for dinner anyway. I was reviewing the menu for room service and WOW is it expensive. A little bit too expensive in my opinion. You can change out the pillows in your room, as they have a "pillow menu"... which I thought was really cool. Overall, we had a very nice experience, and this hotel has lived up to its hype. Now I can stare at the Trump all day long from my office and know that its as nice as it appears on the outside, as it is on the inside. :)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago on TripAdvisor and for taking the time to post a review of your recent holiday with us. I am very pleased to read your positive comments. I have carefully noted your feedback regarding our Bell service and can assure we will address this immediately.

I appreciate your time in sharing your experience of Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and your constructive feedback to help us continually improve. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future once again.

München
Reviewed 12 December 2009

I spent four days at the Trump Hotel during a recent business trip to Chicago. The room size, interior design, the in room dining as well as the hotel restaurant were far above average (compared to other business hotels rated same category), but the service quality was outstanding: Quiet, reliable, friendly and personal. I am looking forward to may next stay!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such a warm review of your recent stays with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago; I am very pleased to learn that you hold such fond memories of your stay.

We are most appreciative of your acknowledgment that our hotel services and facilities far exceed that which you have experience elsewhere.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago once again.

Lake County, Illinois
Reviewed 7 December 2009

My wife and I stayed in a condo. Clearly, it was more room than we ever would need for the two of us, but it was a gift.
The hotel was amazing. Chicago is a great city, and you really can experience it while staying at the Trump, starting with a terrific view.
The rooms were large and open. The kitchen had all of the amenities, down to every utensil you can imagine. Beds were very comfortable, and you were offered every pillow imaginable.
Were given a tour of the rooms. We should have asked more about the lights, but otherwise he was very helpful.
All of the workers were very cordial, and constantly asking if we needed anything.
The health club was terrific, and the pool was very nice.
The location of the Trump is ideal for shopping on Michigan Avenue and State Street, and is surrounded by many terrific restaurants.
No real negatives. They probably could have had a whirlpool bath and bigger shower instead of three full baths in our condo. Also, though the living room furniture in contemporary, I really didn't find it overly comfortable, though I'm probably nitpicking.
I suggest parking across the street in the garage above the Dunkin' Donuts. It's convenient, and way cheaper than at the hotel itself.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LCBoy1
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, 10 December 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor from your most recent stay with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and I sincerely appreciate you complimenting the professionalism of our team and extent of our facilities.

Along with my team, I look forward welcoming you back to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago in the near future.

texas
Reviewed 6 December 2009

I took the whole family, which included myself, my husband, one teenager and two children. We had spent months planning this trip, several thousands of dollars, a lot of time and effort, and our Christmas dreams on this vacation. This family, nor myself in my life, had ever been on a vacation, but it was a horrific experience. They treated my family as if we were trash and kept trying to please us with a few apologies and free chocolates. Our room was not a hotel room, it was privately owned. There were scratches on the furniture. We were lied to a number of times. There is not enough room here to explain the whole horrible nightmare. I guess you have to be rich with no children to be treated properly at this place. Unfortunately the thousands of dollars we spent and everything can never be replaced. I expected elite service. I paid for elite service. All we received was a nightmare and wasted money.

• Stayed December 2008
6 Thank navypier3am
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, 23 December 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests.

I am of course very concerned to learn that your experience fell short of your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed with the room and service. I can appreciate what an inconvenience this was for you and your family as you wanted a relaxing stay to celebrate the holidays.

I would like to assure you that we pay careful attention to feedback such as you have provided, taking immediate steps to correct any deficiencies.

I would therefore hope that your experience on this visit would not dissuade you from staying with us again if your plans bring you to Chicago.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago.