“Torn Between Three and Four Stars”

Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #61 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
North Carolina
“Torn Between Three and Four Stars”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed at this Residence Inn using a Marriott Rewards Certificate. So, needless to say, this impacts my peception of value in that I would probably be somewhat more critical if I had spend money on the room. OK, for the good:

1. Location is great.
2. The room was clean, quiet, and everything worked.
3. The lobby was nice.

The not as good:

1. As other reviewers have mentioned, the staff are indifferent. Most of them aren't unfriendly per se, they just don't offer any real assistance unless you ask. Once you do ask, some are helpful, some aren't. This goes for the front desk staff as well as the doormen.
2. The check-in procedure set's the wrong tone. The hotel seems to allow for no early check-in so by 3:00 pm there were a lot of people waiting to check in . This creates stress and anxiety for the guest and the front desk staff. They simply need to do better.
3. You have to go to the front desk to check out. I waited in line for 20 minutes just to be told that there was no charge and I could leave. It's 2011; surely there is a way for this property to upgrade to an electronic check out.

In summary, there are good things about this hotel but there are also things that are frustrating. I can tell you that the new GM told me via email that he is genuinely interested in improving the level of service so it will be interesting to see if he is ultimately successful. His interest in the feeback of his guests is the reason I am rating this property 4-stars instead of 3.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
AmandaMasters-GSM, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Benfbrown-

Thank you for taking the time to write a constructive review of our hotel. We consider guest feedback to be some of the most valuable information. With this being said, I would also like to apologize for your disappointment in our front desk operations. With your comments, we will work to improve our check-in and check-out procedures as well as provide our staff with further customer service training. We too welcome our new General Manager and are looking forward to great things to come!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The location was excellent, so close to all of the touristy stuff (plus the office where I was attending a training class). The breakfast was great, tons of options (including healthy stuff & freshly made waffles). The exercise room was clean and each of the machines had a personal TV. Everything about this hotel would make me choose it again or recommend it to friends/co-workers.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MistyLuv79
MistyLuv79-

Thank you for your recent stay and for posting on our TripAdvisor page. I am happy to hear you were able to mix business with pleasure and were able to experience some of the “touristy stuff.” We look forward to seeing you again on your return visits.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 1 week. This was perfect location everything was in walking distance.Bus line and the L line are very close. The staff was very friendly any questions we had they were happy to help us. We loved having breakfast there to start our day.The rooms were kept very clean. Pool was great as well as fitness center. They also have washing machines and dryers if you want to do laundry before going home.We found the city of Chicago to be very clean as well as the people were very friendly. When we go back to Chicago we will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luv2travl08
AmandaMasters-GSM, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
luv2travl08-

Thank you for your recent stay and for posting on our TripAdvisor page. I am happy to hear that you and your husband had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel and staff as well. We look forward to your return visit!

New Jersey
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stayed for 4 night with my 10 year old son. We had a studio suite which was more than adequate, with a view of Harry Caray's for my son the Cub fan!

The location was an easy walk from the orange line (from the airport), red line (to Wrigley), and Clark #22 bus line to get you almost anywhere else. I recommend this hotel for location alone.

The Spring Hill Suites is actually attached and in the same lobby; our room was one door away from the Spring Hill. If you don't need a full suite / with kitchen, I think their rates are usually a little cheaper and you get the top notch location anyway.

It was VERY crowded the weekend we stayed. One negative was that the elevators, as a result, seemed quite slow, and when we got one, it was inevitably crowded. The breakfasts were also quite crowded, it was hard to find a seat. Breakfast was just ok; i could have done with more variety of fresh fruit, and the bagels were kind of sweet and stale for a jersey girl. But it was certainly adequate for us, the coffee was good and my son loved the fresh made waffles.

There was a big thunderstorm one night and the power was out for a bit. I received an email later apologizing for the inconvenience, which was a nice touch. Evidently some folks were without AC but we luckily weren't, at least that we noticed.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, Chicago is an amazing city and so easy to get around. We never took a cab once. With kids, I recommend Ed Debevics, we also ordered pizza from Giordanos which was delivered right to the room. It was a great time!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank NJ2Mom
AmandaMasters-GSM, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
NJ2Mom-

I am happy to hear you and your son had a nice get-a-way to our great city! It seems as if you were able to take in the great sights Chicago has to offer. Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience with others. We hope to see you again soon.

West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2011

A very good stay at this Residence Inn. The location is right in the middle of Chicago with plenty of variety for shops, entertainment and culture.
The rooms were a step up from the normal Residence Inn quality, more modern and trendy, having been done in the last few years I would guess. Very comfortable and clean, with all the added convenience you get in a RI hotel - fridge, microwave, hobs, etc. We got a great view, but I imagine some of the lower rooms (we were 19th) might just be of the building across.
I stayed using rewards points so I can't comment on value for money I'm afraid.
The one drawback was that a ton of families seemed to be staying there and breakfast was an absolute madhouse.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
co_fragment-

Thank you for your recent stay and posting on our TripAdvisor page. We appreciate your loyalty as a Marriott Rewards member as well. Our hotel was built from the ground up in 2008, so your guess was right on track! We hope to see you again in the near future.

Raleigh
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed here for 5 days with my 2 teenage sons. Overall, the hotel is nicer/newer/cleaner than other Residence Inns I’ve stayed at. We stayed in a studio suite, which was large enough for the 3 of us, though by day 5 we were starting to trip over each other. We really enjoyed having a fully equipped kitchen and laundry facilities.

The only disappointment was that there isn’t much consistency in the professionalism, helpfulness, and knowledge of the staff. Like many other reviewers have said, Ismeta, who works the breakfast buffet, is beyond amazing. She is warm and friendly and really makes you feel welcome, while somehow managing to keep the busy buffet cleaned and stocked. But on the third morning of my stay I knew she had the day off the minute I walked into the breakfast area. It was less than 30 minutes after they started serving breakfast, and there were dirty tables and counters, they were running out of food, and the two young women working the area were standing around talking to each other. Needless to say, I was glad to see Ismeta on the last morning of my stay.

My experience with the front desk staff was similar. At check-in, we waited nearly 20 minutes before anyone even came to the desk to greet us. We asked the gentleman who checked us in for directions on 2 separate occasions. Both times he seeemed annoyed and gave very vague directions, not even telling us street names. On another occasion I asked a young woman at the front desk for directions, and she was very helpful, even going as far as highlighting the route for us on a map.

The service (or lack of service) we received from some of the employees certainly wasn't up to Marriott's standards, but because the overall experience was good, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
AmandaMasters-GSM, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
NCYankeesFan-

I would first like to thank you for your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your business and kind words about the aesthetics of our hotel. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconsistency of the customer service you experienced. I thank you for brining this to our attention so we can focus on training our staff properly. We hope to see you and your sons again in the near future.

Katy
Reviewed 28 July 2011

First the Good:
1. The location was perfect for our first visit to Chicago, able to walk to everything we wanted to do, or easily use public transportation, and close enough to the train station that we could take the Blue Line (L) from the airport, and walk 5 minutes or so to the hotel-saved on taxi fare.
2. Restaurants and good little grocery within walking distance were very good.
3. The room was very quiet, clean and comfortable.
4. The workout room was very well-equipped, the best I've seen in a Residence Inn.
5. I used the business center, and was really thankful for that.

The Not-So-Good:
1. The front office staff were not particularly welcoming. Not sure if that's what the problem was, but I have stayed at numerous Residence Inn's and there just wasn't that friendly feel that I am used to, and really value when I'm staying away from home.
2. One of the room key-cards was non-functional, had to go to the front desk 3 times, and it was as though they were doing me a favor (no, I didn't keep it next to my cell phone, it was just no good).
3. Breakfast was OK, not quite as good as I'm used to in Residence Inns. There were strange-looking little fried eggs, that looked like plastic.
4. One time while working out, a group of very young children (too young to be in there) came in, without parents, and were playing a little recklessly on the machines. Mama finally came in, and, carrying an infant, just walked around while the kids played on the treadmills-weird. Not the hotel's fault.

All in all, I would stay here again if I am in Chicago.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
AnneKaty-

I am happy to hear you had an overall enjoyable stay. Out location is un-matched for first time visitors to Chicago. I am glad you were able to utilize the workout room and business center as well. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with your key cards and our front desk staff. I do appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your visit so we are able to make improvements for those guests yet to come (including you!)