“Really Good!”

Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #40 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Recently I have started using Residence Inns because if the extra room and the breakfasts. This hotel was really close to a lot of activities we wanted to do, restaurants, and walking in the city was easy.

The staff was exceptionally nice and we were really pleased with the free breakfast. The staff at breakfast was friendly and made an effort to get to know the patrons.

The rooms were nice and the addition of the kitchen was good, especially the full size fridge. We would stay there again.

The closeness of good restaurants was a plus. Harry Caray's was across the street, Lowry's was close as was the Billy Goat Tavern. Getting to Wrigley Field was also easy and inexpensive from this location. The ride in from Midway was also not excessive at $30.

Overall it was a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Chris H
Dan H, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you so much for the very nice 4-Star review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel and location. We truly hope to see you next time you are in the downtown Chicago area!

AGM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Have stayed here many times. The location is great for families of children who can do some walking around the city. It's always clean, room is a tad small for families with three children but doable. Room has a full kitchen which is helpful because there is a grocery within a block. The best part of this hotel is the wonderful breakfast each morning and the staff - very attentive and makes you feel welcomed. They also have some dinners on some nights which is also helpful. Pool is nice with a nice view. Location is perfect for exploring both River North and Gold Coast areas as well as walking to Millenium Park, the theater district and even to Navy Pier if feeling ambitious. The price is always great too! You won't regret staying here.

Room Tip: The studios are spacious but if you want privacy from your children choose the 1 bedroom unit.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank PandEAllen
Dan H, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you so much for this 5-Star review! I truly love to hear when a guest says their stay was "perfect"! We take great pride in our hotel and we live by the mission of being the cleanest and friendliest hotel in downtown Chicago! I truly thank you for being our guest and we hope to have you back the next time you are in the River North area!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Fabulous location.

Terrific, unparalleled service. If a staffer sees you, even in peripheral vision, they say "Good morning! How are you?" (I believe some have 'eyes in the back of their heads' as that old expression goes ... )

Fabulous room ...huge ... king bed, sofa, table, chair, desk, kitchenette fully equipped. Walk in shower instead of climb into and stand in tub. All fresh finishes. Clean, clean, clean. Great lighting ... which we all know can be a 'challenge' in some hotel rooms.

Terrific sleep, wonderful bed. Quiet!

And a fabulous 23rd floor view east toward the lake.

Breakfast included with the room and the wonderful woman who manages it is AMAZING! Efficient. So, so friendly. Watched her making waffles for folks. Bustling around to make sure you had everything you needed. AMAZING!

And, hey, the breakfast is pretty darn good too! Hot stuff - eggs, breakfast potatoes, some kind of meat (bacon, sausage), cold stuff, fruit, cereals, yoghurt, juices, coffee and tea. The hot stuff is rotated day to day ... but always good.

Backing up ... the doorman was super-friendly, welcoming us 'Canadians', then talking and laughing about winter while he arranged for our valet parking.

They're flexible and accommodating. We booked a package online that included self-parking. But by the time we got there I was more in the mood to just hand someone the keys and take valet. No problem .... they just did the upcharge to the valet rate from the package self-park rate. (Actually, when the bill slipped under the door they had charged the full valet rate, not just the difference ... but, no problem, fixed immediately!)

Easy walking distance to tonnes of restos, bars, pubs, jazz spots. Half a block from "Howl at the Moon" (see separate review ... great piano bar!) A block north of the river. And the loop.

Did I mention fabulous location?

The first day we were there they had a 'social hour' from 6 to 7.30 with free light food (BBQ!!) and drinks including wine, beer, etc. All included.

And the price? Very reasonable compared to some of the competition.

Back to the wonderful lady running the breakfast ... we enjoyed that social hour the first night. But it wasn't offered the second night, so she made us up a 'care package' of fruit and yoghurt to take up to our room "Because there's no food tonight!"

Bell service was instant, friendly, great.

Final note ... she noticed that the housekeeping staff do not leave the door open when cleaning a room ... one of the first time's she's seen that. They stick a sign saying that the room is being prep'd and the door is closed. In other hotels "anyone" could wander in ...

Our last great place in Chicago, very nearby, lost us because they ramped their rates up very substantially. As long as Residence Inn doesn't make that mistake, we'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Take a king on a high floor with a view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TO_Trips

Thank you so much for this extremely nice 5-Star review! We take great pride in being the cleanest and friendliest hotel in Downtown Chicago and it sounds like our team was living this mission during your stay. I am so glad you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and evening social. We have a great staff for both who truly enjoy taking care of our guests.

I will be sharing your wonderful comments to each department so they know they made a great impact on your stay. Thank you again and we hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed here on a recent work trip and really enjoyed my stay. The customer service was excellent, which is key in my book. When I checked in they gave me a fortune cookie with extra Marriott points, yay. The room was huge, large fridge, couch, great views of the city. I also loved how my room was super clean when I went out and came back and I never even saw the cleaning person. Breakfast was really good...hot and cold options, and breakfast sandwiches. There was a super sweet woman walking around making sure everyone was satisfied too...I wish I could remember her name, she was adorable. The location was amazing too. Tons of bars and restaurants within a 2-5 minute walk. Hub51 is right downstairs, which is awesome. My only minor complaints about the hotel...gym is small (I get it, you're in downtown Chicago, you're not gonna find a hotel with a huge gym, but still...) I also wish this hotel had a bar, but I don't believe Residence Inn's have bars (?) They did do a 6-7:30pm happy hour, but no actual 'bar'.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank ShannonW3

Thank you for the very 4-Star review of our hotel! I am glad you enjoyed your suite and our service. I'm sorry the gym felt small to you. it is actually quite large for the standard hotel, but I can understand if it is still not large enough for our guests. You are correct that Residence Inn's do not have bars, but we do have our social hour Monday-Wednesday offering complimentary Beer and wine. The great thing about being in Chicago is we have so many great bars less than a block away from our hotel. We hope you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay.

Thank you again and we hope to have you back!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a fabulous location and a great residence inn. All the employees were so friendly and helpful. The breakfast employee, Ismeta, was super friendly and went way out of her way to make our breakfast wonderful. She personally made our waffles and gave us fresh strawberries and whipped cream. I am looking forward to staying at the hotel again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for this nice review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! We take great pride in our customer service and Ismeta is a leader in this department. She takes wonderful care of our guests and I'm so glad to hear she made a great impression on you. I'll make sure to share your comments with her and the rest of the team. Thank you and we look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Although we had stayed for one night shared a room with my parents . slept on the sofa bed,, it was very convenient. The rooms are spacious and there a small kitchen full of all the appliances you will need (microwave, fridge and dishwasher) plus they provide plates and all the culinary. Breakfast was amazing ,, a lot of variety and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Especially Kesmat, She was very friendly and generous.

The hotel location is just what we needed in the heart of Chicago downtown, near all the best sightseeing places and most of which walking distance, plus near by a lot of nice restaurants.

I recommend taking the HOP ON HOP OFF bus to check out the city if you are visiting for one day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dina B
Dan H, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for the kind 5-Star review! I am glad you enjoyed your 1-night stay! We hope to have you again at our property the next time you are in the River North area!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed at this property while attending a conference in Chicago. The customer service was amazing. The hot breakfast was a great perk, and Ismeta really went out of her way to make us feel welcomed and at home. I can't say enough about how wonderful she was! The rooms were great, just what we needed.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Alisonphorn

Thank you so very much for this nice 5-Star review! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I'm glad our staff took wonderful care of you. We take great pride in our customer service and I'm happy to hear our team made a great impression! We hope to have you back!