“Pretty Good but Underwhelmed by Sofa Sleeper”

Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #50 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We recently stayed here for one night and overall, found the hotel to be good. We had 3 adults in our party and while we tried to book a 2 bedroom suite, they only had a one bedroom suite with a sofa sleeper available. Granted, we knew going in that the sofa sleeper wasn't going to be exactly plush but didn't expect it to be so uncomfortable. You could clearly feel the middle bar through the thin mattress so it was pretty bad to sleep on. It certainly wasn't a deal breaker but it's worth pointing out that if an adult plans on sleeping on the sofa sleeper, they better bring some Advil for their back the next day. My only other "negative" is that the bathroom is off of the bedroom so if anyone needs to use it, you need to walk through the bedroom as there is no access off of the living room. It wasn't a biggie but if 3 adults are staying in the room together, the person who's stuck on the sofa will need to open the bedroom door and walk past the bed to get to the bathroom.

Other than these minor inconveniences, the hotel and rooms were very clean and the staff was excellent. There was one particular worker in the breakfast area (I didn't catch her name) who was very friendly and greeted everyone who came down for breakfast. She was a real bright spot. The breakfast itself was nice and there were plenty of places to sit.

I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a good hotel within walking distance to the Magnificent Mile and other attractions. I would definitely recommend a 2-bedroom suite if you have more than 2 adults in your party.

Room Tip: If you're an adult, try and avoid sleeping on the sofa sleeper (or plan on a sore back the next...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thorn054
RIMARRIOTT410, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you very much for the nice review during your stay here. I do apologize the sofa sleeper was not a good experience for you. We do have additional foam toppers on hand, for request, as these can certainly help if you need more cushion. Thank you again and we hope to have you back at the hotel!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed here in late July with my husband and 10 year old son for 5 nights. I stay in Residence Inns often for work and this hotel is run very well. Breakfast is the standard fare with a good bit of variety for families, including healthy options and indulgent ones. The woman in charge is very friendly and the 3rd floor views are a great people watching spot to start your day.

We had a studio on the 24th floor with a view of the west. Western views are still pretty interesting because of several rooftop pools, decks, and tennis courts from adjacent condo buildings.

The area is very accessible to bus and train stops. The area is safe and populated in the evenings. Food is expensive in the immediate area -- $12-$17 sandwiches abound. Hub 51 is the restaurant attached to the hotel and they provide room service to the hotel. We went there in person to eat lunch when we first got there. Service and food were good, but the menu is limited and prices are high. The hotel will deliver groceries for free - I recommend doing this if you are on a family vacation. It was simple and we saved a lot of money ($12 burgers add up!) We tried ordering pizza the first night, but it was about an hour late. I don't think they are equipped to deliver to hotels.

Room Tip: The hotel will hold your bags until check-in if you want to explore. There is a run on the elevat...
1  Thank mycaLee
RIMARRIOTT410, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for the very nice 5-Star review! I am so glad you had a great experience at our hotel. We hope to have you back at our hotel the next time you are visiting downtown Chicago!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed there June 21-23, 2014 (sorry a little late). The front desk staff was all very professional. The bellmen staff was always on the ball. The breakfast with a fantastic host was always a hit. Close to everything so you could walk. If needed assistance everyone (even Management) was very friendly. I hope to stay there again sometime.
Daron V

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank beek20

Thank you so much for this extremely nice review! I am so glad our team made a great impression during your stay. We also hope to have you back at the hotel! Thank you and we look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Might be a long review, but well worth the read....

We recently stayed here on July 20th – July 22nd. I chose this hotel after reading all the GREAT reviews and suggestions from others on picking rooms. I followed the advice and chose a room above the 20th floor. I purchased the room/parking package. I saved about $12 a day on parking. Hotel was very easy to find and the rooms were very clean. Here’s why I give this place 5 stars. The HOTEL Staff. Upon arrival, Tamela (hope I spelled your name right) was soo helpful. I had asked for corner room earlier during the reservation process but was told it was a possibility. Tamela told me that there were none available but they had 2 diff rooms with great views. She took me up to both and let me choose which room I wanted. She went the extra mile and the smile on her face told me she loved what she did. I applaud her on great customer service. The next morning, I couldn’t wait to meet Ismeta during breakfast. I felt like I was meeting a celebrity after all the great reviews I read about her. Boy did she ever live up to the reviews. She was so darn nice and I swear she made you feel like the only one there despite the numerous other guests she was helping. I kept telling my wife, “that’s Ismeta I was telling you about in all the reviews”. We were bummed that she was not there on our 2nd day for breakfast. Breakfast was awesome. Hot foods, waffles, cereals, drinks, etc… Next was the 6p-730p Light Dinner, that’s when we met Sanli. Sanli was soo nice and helpful as well. That night the light dinner consisted of spaghetti, salad, desserts, beer and wine. We didn’t need to eat out that night because we were so full from that “light dinner”. Sanli made us feel so special too and made sure our drinks were full and that we tried the numerous delicious desserts.

The rooms are up to date, very clean, and smelled nice. We faced Dearborn St. and could see the John Hancock building from our room (21st floor). The pool was on the 27th floor, and the kids loved the fact that there was a pool. The only thing I noticed about the pool was that it felt as if the pool liner was not secure, so you were stepping on it and could feel it squish down. It didn’t seem to bother the kids at all and I only swam for a bit anyway. Tons of seating for adults around the pool. There is a small hot tub with room for about 4-6 adults. The view from the pool is nice as it’s on a corner facing Dearborn and Kinzie St. There is a nice workout room too. About 4-6 treadmills, free weights and other aerobic type machines. Every staff member we encountered was so nice and wished us a good trip. For the location, the price wasn’t bad. Navy Pier, John Hancock Building are about 1 mile from hotel. Giordano’s Pizza ( see my review on that) is about ¾ of a mile on Rush St. Starbucks about 1 block on Clark St. When we go back, we will stay here for sure. Very clean hotel, and did I mention a very friendly staff as Tamela, Ismeta and Sanli were the ones that left an impressive impression on me.
Free wifi too.

Room Tip: Choose a room on 20th floor or higher for views. Corner room if possible. Face Dear born or Kinzie...
2  Thank Mike D
RIMARRIOTT410, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you so much for this AMAZING review! I am so happy to hear our associates made a major impression during your stay. The reviews I read that mention our associates always puts a huge smile on my face because it shows the impact they make on our guest's stay. I have already forwarded your wonderful comments to our above property leaders so they can recognize the wonderful job our team did during your stay! Thank you again and we hope we get to see you again!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here with family for a 5 day Chicago vacation. We were greeted by very friendly staff. Upon check in we were upgraded to a room with a kitchen (refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher with dishes). Loved the extra space (since there were 3 of us) although we did not use the kitchen I imagine it would be great if you were there on business. The window in our room faced the parking garage (as in people in the garage could see into our room) but this wasn't an issue for us as we were not in the room much and shut the curtains when we were. We did not hear any of the cars in the garage when we were there. The first thing I noticed was how friendly and happy the staff were. If you happened to run into one of them in the halls or on the elevator they would greet you and smile-everyday, every one of them. Unfortunately after we returned to our room after being out one day we realized the bathroom had flooded. The staff responded immediately. We didn't want to pack everything up to change rooms so they cleaned the room. I have never seen so many staff members in our room immediately cleaning to make things right. You would have thought we were related to the President with the attention we got. Free internet and complementary breakfast with hot food that is actually hot. Perfect location to most everything and within walking distance to many of the great places to eat. Museum area may be a little long to walk but one of the stops for the hop on/off buses is just around the corner. Will definitely stay at this place next time in Chicago. The hotel is located close to a fire station. I didn't notice this until I was out walking one day. I never noticed the noise from the alarms.

2  Thank OneLadyJ
RIMARRIOTT410, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for the very nice 4-Star review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here during my visit to Chicago.
I arrived late due to a delayed flight and Antonio at the front desk was a delight to deal with.
Situated in walking distance to all the local attractions I didnt need to drive. I left my car in the lot for the duration of my stay.
The room were a tad small but the location more than made up of it.
The staff was extremely friendly and always said hello.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you so much for the wonderful 5-Star review!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Started a new job in Chicago and will stay at the Residence Inn for a couple of weeks until I find a place to live. The hotel offers ample opportunity for both, tourists and business travelers. Free internet, complementary breakfast (that is actually tasty) and spacious rooms with kitchenet (frige, microwave, dishwasher) are very convenient. Best thing: the staff - everybody is super friendly and extremely helpfull. The location in River North is actually one of most trendy in Chicago. Lots of restaurants, bars and shopping opportunities. Chicago River and Magnificent Mile are just a short walk from here. Big City living at its best.

Room Tip: The higher the better. Even room numbers may give you a good city view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael L

Thank you so much for the 5-Star review! Our hotel truly does have a great location for both business and pleasure!