“Perfect little getaway”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chicago
City Scene Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 22 Chicago B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Our first priority was to visit our son in Chicago, however, the location of this little gem made getting downtown a breeze. Located in a fun neighborhood with shops, resturants and close by parks.

If you are looking for a quiet place that has lots of personality this is it. The owner is very low key and provides a nice assortment of teas, coffee, pastries and fruits. Since we were familiar with the neighborhood and Chicago we didn't need much help, but from the guest book I got the impression that Mary, the owner, will help how she can.

The other plus for us is that I'm an early riser early to bed person and my husband is a night owl late sleeper - the accommodation was perfect with the separate living area away from the bedroom. The real danger became getting so comfortable we could have just stayed inside all day lounging. The weather was too nice so we did go out and play.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Tammy W

Reviewed 17 November 2011

My partner and I stayed in city scene for five days in October and really enjoyed our stay Its a basement apartment and was perfect for our stay in Chicago. The apartment is situated in a nice area, its only a five minute walk from the CTA lines and a few blocks walk to Lincoln park. We found it very spacious, the kitchen was well stocked so you could cook a meal if you wished to stay in, however as we were on holidays we ate out every day. The good thing as mentioned by other reviewers is you can have breakfast whenever you wish, Mary leaves a in lots of options for breakfasts with a good selections of yoghurts, fresh fruit, cereals pastries etc. I really enjoyed our stay there and only sorry I didn’t stay longer as Chicago is a wonderful city with just so much going on there. Hope to return again sometime.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CityT
Reviewed 9 November 2011

My husband and I loved Chicago and our stay at City Scene! We had fantastic fall weather, which always helps, but even in inclement weather this B&B/apartment would be a cozy spot to take shelter. It is conveniently located on a quiet street and only a few blocks to 3 different CTA lines. We even took the "L" in from Midway airport without a hitch, thanks to Mary's clear instructions. It took no time to get downtown and the Lincoln Park neighbourhood was lovely. We did so much walking around during the day that we were very content to just hang out and relax by the fire at the end of each adventure.
The spacious kitchen was outfitted with anything you might need and Mary's delivery of freshly baked breads and pastries always made for a delicious breakfast. No pressure to be up in time for scheduled breakfast hour as you have your own space and can make you own timetable. Oh... and a very comfy bed too!
Can't go wrong staying at City Scene. We would definitely stay again and kudos to Mary for making guests feel welcome.

Room Tip: We stayed in a basement apartment but it was quite bright. The only drawback, which is true of any a...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan R
Reviewed 26 June 2011

The location is fantastic; within walking distance to many great Lincoln Park restaurants and entertainment venues, not to mention the El with direct access to downtown Chicago tourist attractions. Also located in a very friendly/safe neighborhood. My husband and I had no problems at all walking back to the suite late at night after attending shows at Lincoln Hall.

Mary is a wonderful host, willing to offer help wherever she can and also staying out of your way if you want to be on your own. She stocks the very well-appointed kitchen with everything you might need; baked goods, milk, juice, bottled water and sodas, cheese, fruit, cereal and teas, coffee, and even hot chocolate too.

Everything is very clean and comfortable. The four days we spent there were like having our own temporary Chicago home (with off-street parking in the back of the building). We really can't wait to have another excuse to visit Chicago and make use of this excellent place to stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wickedlibrarian
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Came to Chi for my son's birthday weekend and found City Scene. We booked 3 nights due to it's convenient location and ample room.

What a nice place. Mary gave us directions and helpful hints on how to get there ahead of time. Location is great...a five minute walk from the Ell, near DePaul University, Lincoln Park District

What a well thought out place! Beds were really comfy, furniture in the living room also really comfortable. The kitchen had everything we could want and could have produced full meals if we wanted to though we were more Chicago style pizza leftover types when we weren't eating out. Breakfast items stocked in the kitchen included juice, Asst rolls and goodies, yogurt, fruit and coffee to make(really good coffee at that) also had various soft drinks. We were able to use the place like a home away from home. Be sure to use the steam shower in the bathroom...very relaxing!

Mary has put a lot of thought and love into the apartment we stayed in. It shows. City Scene is our first choice for a place to stay when visiting the Windy City

Mary was always available if we needed her but we still had our privacy.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank apaimanee
Reviewed 18 May 2011

City Scene is the best of a B&B and apartment combined, at a price that beats a hotel, by far. Mary stocks the fridge for you, in the huge kitchen, decorated with family and antique "finds". Relax in the cosy living room after an evening out, and use the gas fireplace if you're chilly. The bedroom is small, but complete, with a comfortable bed and lovely new linens. Everything is spotless.

There's a 3 block walk to the train, but you're in the interesting and well-kept neighborhood of Lincoln Park, so who cares? 15-20 minutes got us everywhere we wanted to go. We would definitely recommend City Scene to our best friends!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I enjoyed an extended-stay at this lovely place, which is a private suite with one bedroom close to DePaul University’s central campus. Actually, it’s bigger than some of the apartments where I have lived! First off, everything was really clean. It is nicely decorated, with all amenities I could need for my trip. Apart from the bedroom, it has a sitting room (with a fireplace—I loved it!), and bath (with a steam shower, but I cannot say anything about this, as I did not try it). It was really nice having a kitchen where to cook, and I found my fridge full of milk, sodas and other stuff to enjoy breakfast. It also has its own phone, and answering machine. I stayed at the one in the ground floor apartment, and must say darkness was not a problem, but it was winter time, so there was no option to get light anyway. Being so close to the DePaul University’s central campus was really a plus to me! The metro stops (red and brown lines) are not too close but to a walking distance (5 minutes). The innkeeper, Mary, lives upstairs, so you have full privacy. She is a really nice person who is there when I needed her, always tried to accommodate me, but let me be at my own pace. Excellent value for such a suite, in a nice and safe area. I would definitively stay there when coming back to Chicago!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business