“I liked it, but it's complicated”
Review of Wicker Park Inn

Wicker Park Inn
Ranked #6 of 22 Chicago B&B and Inns
Los Angeles
“I liked it, but it's complicated”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I stayed 2 nights at the WPI in the Garden Apartment room. I travel to Chicago frequently and usually stay in Michigan Ave./Streeterville area. I booked into the WPI because my daughter lives in the neighborhood and I wanted to be nearby. As such, the WPI was the only game in town. It is located just a few blocks from Milwaukee Ave. about equidistant between Division and North streets - right in the middle of Wicker Park.

The Garden Apartment room has a a lot going for it. The beds are big and the mattresses are firm and comfortable. In addition the bedding was very nice. The kitchenette is large enough to cook a meal for 2-4 people. The bathroom is decent-sized. But there are some quirks, too. First, it's in the basement of a building across the street from the main Inn building. That didn't bother me, but I can see where some might be surprised to be in a basement. This should really be disclosed in the room description on the website. Next, to get into the bathroom one must go up a 1/4 step to get in and then up another 2 steps to get to the toilet and sink. Several stubbed toes later I got used to it. Finally, there is a large load-bearing post in the middle of the bedroom which cuts into the otherwise spacious room.

One plus of being in the basement is that the room is very quiet. The El, which is only a block away, can be quite loud outside when it rumbles by, but I hardly noticed it inside.

This room would be particularly good for a small family or four close friends visiting the trendy Wicker Park neighborhood.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Chicago
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The room the Blue line was clean and tidy the staff was very attentive. The room is next to an alley above which is the Blue line train. We were forewarned that it was not for light sleepers.
The only time I woke up at night was not because of the train but from the jet engine noise from the Air conditioning plant for the whole building. This machinery is in a louvered door closet right next to the bed. We had to open some windows to keep the room warm at night.The room had a full kitchen so we were not entitled to the breakfast. We were told this at the beginning of our stay but I was not diligent enough in reading their literature.
All in all it was a good location but a little pricey for what we got.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Larry T
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2012

What a lovely place to stay! The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our room (Wicker Park) was gorgeous although it didn't have a bath tub (not a problem for us as we prefer showers anyway!) Our room was on the first floor (ground floor) and was accessed immediately as you enter the Inn. I was a little hesitant but noise was never a problem and being at the front of the building we barely heard the 'L' running along behind. The Inn is on a lovely treelined street within easy reach of buses and trains. Breakfast was more than adequate with help-yourself pastries, bagels, breads, cereal, yoghurts and fruits. There was also coffee and a myriad of teas to choose from. What was fantastic is that you could go and help yourself to most of this whenever you wished! The neighborhood is really interesting with great restaurants and eateries for all palettes. I would highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mary_poppins_66
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 9 June 2012

As a prior native of Chicago, it's important to me to feel like I'm "coming home" when I stay there. And Wicker Park Inn did not disappoint! We stayed at their Bucktown Apartment with our 10 month son and my mother. It was perfect. They were so accommodating for our son. Any request we had, they met. We will definitely be back there soon!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cmariechicago
Glen Carbon, Illinois
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed 2 weekend nights at the Wicker Park Inn and found it to be an excellent option when visiting Chicago. The rooms were very well maintained, clean, comfortable and attractively decorated. Breakfast was continental but with a great variety of fruits, pastries, breads and yogurt-- and good coffee. Street parking by permit was free and easy to find a place to park. With easy access to the train/subway system, it is an easy trip to downtown.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms in the front of the building would be preferable.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Beshndon
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2011

The Wicker Park Inn is a very well run B & B in an old home where the owners live across the road. If you need anything you have to call them on your mobile which can be a little difficult if you are from overseas and don't have a USA phone or you phone is not working when you arrive at the doorstep. The rooms are very nice and clean, however there are no instruction regarding the breakfast. Things have been laid out by the time you get up but with no instructions as to what you can and cant have out of the fridge and if you can use the tea and coffee during the day. I would recommend this Inn for its quirky location but don't expect to be reassured as to your comfort.

Room Tip: Front of house rooms. Not the rooms off the Kitchen, a lot of movement noise day and night.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sandgropers2
Chicago
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I stayed at the Wicker Park Inn in September, 2011. I can definitely stay again. It is a cozy place run by very kind people. My room was excellent, location is awesome, wicker park has become a place with a lot of restaurants and shops. Near to public transportation.
No complaints at all.
Thanks for everything!

Maria C.

Room Tip: I recommend the room I stayed in, it has a private entrance door.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo