“Beware the Garden Suite”
Review of Wicker Park Inn

Wicker Park Inn
Ranked #6 of 23 Chicago B&B and Inns
toronto
“Beware the Garden Suite”
Reviewed 4 May 2008

When I was awakened at 6 am I could not figure out if the people up stairs were rollerblading, moving furniture or both. The relentless racket lasted non-stop for 2 hours, at which time the whole family went out.

When I complained to the owner, I was told the guests in the room above me " have 2 kids". as though that were explanation enough for the appalling behaviour. Clearly, I was the villan for expecting to get a decent night's sleep in a "garden" (read: basement) apartment for which I was being charged $169/night.

As is so often the case, the real issue was how the owner responded to my complaint. After "they have children" didn't wash with me, she told me I must not be used to life in the city (I live in downtown Toronto) ---- then told me I should not be too upset since she was up at 6 am too!

It really was incredible, and completely appalling. And I have not even mentioned that the subway train runs through the backyard of this "quiet Inn" ..................

Never again

• Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
WickerParkInn, Co-Owner at Wicker Park Inn, responded to this review, 18 June 2008
Thank you for giving us the chance to respond to this reviewer. We feel that the review does not fully represent the situation as it occurred nor our response to resolve the matter.

The Garden Apartment; the room in which this guest has critiqued is advertised on our website as a basement studio. More importantly, the reviewer went out of her way to tell us how much she loved the space on the first night.

On the second day, the reviewer called to complain about the noise after the incident occurred. The guest above her had a 2-year old playing with a truck. We remedied the situation in two ways. We made sure the “offending” guests respected our Inn’s quiet hours. They were extremely apologetic and did not stir until 8AM the following morning so as not to wake her. Also, we gave the guest a 20% refund as compensation for the early morning disturbances. We did everything we could to remedy this situation. We were surprised that she did not mention these two resolutions in her review.

Our comments about the city noises was in regards to a car honking at 6AM, which woke the whole block up that morning. I did not mean to insinuate that since I was up early that is was ok that she was awoken also. Nor that she was not used to city noises. Her comments don’t make any sense to us.

In any case, we wanted to take this opportunity to let potential future guests know that such reviews do not fall on deaf ears. We take all comments to heart – good and bad. We did what we could to remedy this situation and feel this reviewer misrepresented our dedication to accommodate her needs while staying at the Wicker Park Inn.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Braunschweig
Reviewed 28 April 2008

We stayed 3 days in the provence bedroom. The room was nice and clean as was the rest of the inn. Thinking in european standards, which means that we are not used to the typical sweet american breakfasts, even the variety of food for breakfast was ok.

I would never have thought that I would get used to the passing EL (the tram) behind the house which is quite audible. But it didn´t affect my sleep and so did with the rest of the other people in the inn.

The inn-keeper and his staff were nice and helpful where they could.

You can easily take the tram to the city (division station) and the airport (Damen station)!

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank klinzi
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 September 2007

When I travel, I like to stay at locally owned historic hotels and B&Bs. The week I stayed in Chicago, all the B&Bs I contacted were fully booked, and this was the nicest one I could find with rooms still available.

I stayed in December, and the location wasn't bad (close to public transit), and had on-street parking. Not in the best neighborhood, but not terrible. Our room was very warm.

The breakfast was just cold cereal and muffins that were left out for guests. The whole place appeared to be decorated by Target (not badly decorated, though. It was actually pretty cute). Our bathroom door didn't shut all the way, which was annoying.

I never had a problem finding the innkeeper when I needed him, but he wasn't around as much as other B&Bs where I've stayed in the past (in part, I think, because there wasn't a hot breakfast). I can see where the other reviews are coming from with the "self-service B&B" comment, though.

Overall, I wouldn't stay there again, because I could find a chain hotel with better location, service, and amenities. If you want to stay in Wicker Park, though, I guess you could do worse.

• Liked — Neat old brick building
  • Disliked — unpleasant bathroom
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank XombieTravels
Valencia
Reviewed 16 April 2007

We stayed for nine nights during unseasonably cold weather - mercifully the room was always warm!
The inn is very conveniently located on the blue line from O'Hare, mid-way between two stops, about a 20 minute ride to Downtown. The area is residential, though you wouldn't want to hang around the main steets late at night, as they are a bit seedy, particulary at the Division Street end.
The young inn-keeper is pleasant and correct, and although he generously makes himself available to you by phone whenever you need him, he otherwise minds his own business. We liked this unobtrusiveness, but others might find it too cold.
We stayed in the Cape Cod room and can recommend it - it was larger than we expected, light and airy on to a quiet tree lined street, the bed big and comfortable, the bathroom fine.
However, we would be wary of the other rooms. Cape Cod is at the front of the house, but you still hear the trains as the elevated tracks run right behind the house - bear in mind the blue line operates 24/7 - a particular consideration for the Chicago room. The Provence room bathroom is off the nice common dining area - how embarrassing that might be would depend on you!
Price-wise we thought it was right - neither cheap nor expensive - and we liked not being in downtown. The breakfast included in the price was ample.

Stayed April 2007
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 19 March 2007

There are not many places to stay In Wicker Park. Since our son lives in WP we wanted to be close by when we visit. This seems to be nearly a self-run B&B. We saw the innkeeper once, when we checked in. He was very pleasant and gave us a good recommendation for lunch. We spent three nights. There are three rooms in all. The room we stayed was called the Cape Cod room. It was comfortable and has its own bathroom. One of the rooms does not have an attached bath, but a separate bathroom which opens up into the commons eating area. If you are eating breakfast in the commons area, guests may be entering and exiting their bathroom right there. This Inn is noisy because of the nearby trains which run often. But the price is reasonable for Chicago standards, and the proximity to Wicker Park and Lincoln Park is a plus. Our bed was comfortable. We had a nice stay and I would come back. Just be prepared for the train noise and the fact that, unusual for a B&B, you really are on your own here.

• Liked — Not your cookie cutter place to stay -- has a certain kind of charm in a European way
  • Disliked — Train noise
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 2 February 2007

I loved our stay at Wicker Park Inn. We stayed for 3 nights over New Year's and we were very close to great restaurants and bars. Our host recomended The Bongo Room for breakfast and it was amazing but that was the last time we saw him. That was my only complaint. The rooms were quiet and comfortable. I would definately stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nobody to offer advice
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
Germany
Reviewed 4 July 2006

The Wicker Park Inn is not directly located in downtown Chicago but within a 10 minute walk is the next subway which brings you right downtown. Besides, it is only about $10 from downtown to this location by cab. The house is very very nice. We had the Chicago room with a private washroom. The room is very nicely furnished and one feels comfortable from the first minute. It has a big bed and a big TV (reception was bad, though). The washroom was huge and looked pretty new. The breakfast area right in front of the room is also extremely well decorated and furnished. The only two things that keep this accommodation from getting five stars is that the breakfast is really only a starter into the day but does not replace a later breakfast or an early lunch. The other catch is that a railroad passes right beside the house and every 15 minutes one can hear trains passing by pretty loudly. Fortunately they do not run at night. Nevertheless we can strongly recommend a stay there and would stay there again for sure.

Stayed May 2006