“A bit chaotic, plenty of fun, good food”

San Soo Gab San Korean Restaurant & Sushi House
Ranked #1,601 of 10,109 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Korean
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Square
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We got lucky: no wait (on a raw Sunday evening), no impolite service many people complain about (quite the contrary, they were very attentive, and we not Korean), and the meats we ordered for BBQ were very well marinated, especially the ribs. It's not the best tasting food you're ever going to have but it is certainly very good.
The show of cooking at the table is super-fun (our 10 y.o., adventurous eater did most of the BBQ-ing and loved it!), the dozens of free appetizers make for abundant eating.
Everything came at once, and the waitress wanted to cook for us immediately, so it was a bit rushed - but I think they just wanted to be helpful.
Skip Korean beer unless Bud Light is the King of Beers for you, this is just as watery.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

This seems to be a very popular Korean BBQ place but we found the meats average at best, we had a party of 8 so we ordered quite a bit of food. The Kalbi beef ribs were not very well marinated and sliced too thin, the Korean Bacon are very dry and stiff nothing like the texture it suppose to be. Service is incredible, just give us the plates of food seeing the table is already full, we were holding these plates of raw meat why trying to eat and no one to help us clear the table.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Like everywhere I went in Chicago, the wait was around 1 hour. The place was packed and kind of chaotic. When we finally were seated, service was immediate- over twenty banchan were offered. Most were good, some were kind of odd (potato salad?). My friends got a seafood soup to share, which they said was really good. BBQ, which is DIY, was good. Everything was well-marinated, I especially enjoyed the squid, which can sometimes be tough but was quite tender. You have to want the experience to enjoy Korean BBQ, but if you do (or are interested in trying it out), I definitely recommend this place. It is located in the Lincoln Square area (someone else drove, so I'm not sure how central it is to everything- seemed like a 20 minute drive out of the main downtown area). Overall it's a fun time with friends!

Reviewed 26 September 2012

My husband & I had never been to a Korean restaurant before so it was definitely an adventure! (I don't like to cook at home so cooking my own food at a restaurant isn't something I want to do.) We couldn't get over so many side dishes but it was interesting to try some of them. We thought it was a little pricey and the service wasn't great either. We probably won't go again but we're glad that we tried it at least once.

1  Thank MstqMI
Reviewed 4 September 2012

First the negatives, they put so much banchan on the table that it's hard to move & the parking lot will test your patience & parking skills. Better to park on Western or ride your bike. I had lunch here many times, love the bibimbop but our last visit was with our younger son who was leaving for college. You do the cooking on hot coals brought to the center of the table. We ordered & cooked marinated/spicy squid & bulgogi, both delicious. We also order the seafood/green onion omelette & the obligatory bibimbop. Way too much food with the copious banchan. Service was good, a hot day, we had beers & our server was attentive, keeping us well watered, removed and replenished plates & brought us a fresh grill when ours was overly carbonized. Lively place with couples, groups of friends & families. Highly recommended.