“Gourmet dog's that are worth standing in line for!”
Review of Hot Doug's Inc. - CLOSED

Hot Doug's Inc.
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 9 June 2012

First time we tried was on a weekend and well past noon. Could not find a place to park and the line stretched around 2 blocks. So we decided to try again with a game plan. 2nd attempt went on a Thursday arriving before opening and securing a parking place and waited for them to open. That was the trick!! Best hot dog's/sausages that I have ever had. The duck sausage with foi gras is to die for. The best corn dog ever. Doug is a character. Daily specials are the best treats. Cash only. And get an online menu before you go. Please don't hold up the line....please!!!

Reviewed 7 June 2012

We waited close to an hour in the wind in June for the experience of dining at Hot Dougs. Would I do it again? In a Chicago second! My son ordered the Alligator dog- juicy, spicy and just lovely. My husband had the Mergez lamb sausage and while we thought it was the weakest of the three special dogs we ordered, it rocked! As for me, I ate the duck sausage and foie gras dog. I ate so slowly, afraid that it would be gone and that I might not get a change to have another ever. It was almost worth selling my child over- that incredibly juicy, fatty, robust and mouth watering that I am dripping on the keyboard as I type.

The atmosphere is fun-whimsical and campy. The duck fat fries (Friday and Saturday) only are addictive. We can not wait to go back again!

Reviewed 1 June 2012

Worth an hour wait on an unseasonably cold, windy June day? You bet. Was it worth it for the Chicago Dog? No, not really, you could get the same results elsewhere, maybe for less money. Maybe even at home. So if you don't have an adventuresome palette and want a standard hot dog, don't wait in line here. It's not worth it, really.

BUT, If you like different things, this is your place. Not, it's not inexpensive for the specialty dogs, but they aren't normal hot dogs either. Besides the Chicago dog, (which I wouldn't order here again just because there are too many other tasty sounding tubes of meat) I had:

The Wayne Perkins: Dog of the day and I had to search for who Wayne Perkins was. A hot dog of smoked pork and smoked shrimp topped with hominy grits, Creole mustard, and goat cheese. Grits on a dog? You bet, it really did work out well.

Saucisson Alsacianne: Bacon sausage dog with creme fraiche, topped with caramelized onions and Montieboissie cheese. Best one of the three I had. A smoky, salty, creamy dog that wasn't too heavy on any flavor.

Duck Fat fried fries: I enjoy duck, so I figured these were worth a shot. A bit more depth of flavor over your standard cooking fat. Only on Fridays and Saturdays, so plan accordingly. I thought they were good, but I'd skip them and the Chicago dog next time and get another specialty dog.

So go and bring cash, no cards accepted and no ATM nearby I could see easily. Doug himself mans the register and was pleasant to all who entered, made me feel welcome as the regulars in front of me in line. Tiny place, always a line, but so worth it to the right person. Are you a Dougs person? I am now!

Reviewed 29 May 2012

It's hard to put enough superlatives into this review. Just go to the website and read the weekly specials. This guy pairs sausages with cheeses that I would BET you've never heard of, then adds a soupsicon of SOME kind of sauce . . . ALL custom-made for the dish. This place is just out-of-this-world!!! Be warned, though . . . get there early, because the line stretches down the street, and if he gets too busy, he might just close!

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Duck Foie gras?!? Yeah! Love them to death err well starvation. I have stood in lines in 90 degree scorching sun, pelting rain and jet lag. I go to Chicago just to eat there. I advise strangers I meet on a cross-country trip to please go there. I love Doug and his sense of humor, the decor, the food, the everything about Hot Doug's!

Really go there, stand it, it's worth it. Also dress comfy, wear sunscreen and bring water, you will be standing in line for a while.

1  Thank kolC