“Great location for Blues Fest/Grant Park”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #40 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Philadelphia, PA
“Great location for Blues Fest/Grant Park”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We visit Chicago frequently and like staying in a different place each time, preferably an old "grand dame"-style hotel. The Renaissance Blackstone is clearly the intersection of old and new, elegant and chic, with all kinds of amenities you'd expect from a property like this and then some. We checked in on a Thursday evening and were greeted with a mini-party and a complimentary cocktail of our choice. Desk clerk Erol did a wonderful job greeting us, ascertaining the purpose of our stay and helping us get to the best room for our occasion. We never had to wait long for service (even room service was prompt!) and the rooms were cleaned nicely. With a Starbuck's in the basement, direct access to Michigan Avenue and only a few blocks' walk from almost any other thing you needed, it was a great location (and don't miss the art exhibit on the Art Hall floor!).

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the rear "tower" with a window facing the park. The view is spectacular.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Korean first
Maine
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Five of us just returned from a 5 day trip to Chicago. Our focus was to see a game at Wrigley and another at US Cellular as well as some sightseeing. We rented three rooms at the Blackstone and although we checked in early, all rooms were available. The rooms were comfortable, the front desk were helpful and the location of the Blackstone was perfect and met all our needs. We flew in to Midway, bought a 7 day CTA pass for $23.00 and traveled throughout the city using trains and buses. We had no issue getting around when we needed to. Chicago has the most organized and easy to use transportation system I've ever seen. The city was kept very clean and we felt safe walking or riding throughout. I would return to Chicago in a heartbeat and would also return to the Blackstone.

Room Tip: No need to rent a car, buy a CTA pass and that will get you anywhere you need to go.
Hibbing, MN
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The rooms were very nice and I loved the shower. Although there was very little view to the park (I was facing the hotel across the street) it was a nice stay. Very quiet and clean and the Starbucks on site was awesome.
Its a short walk to Yolk for a very delicious breakfast awaits you there and a little jaunt to the Field Museum which I highly recommend!
I feel the Valet parking is high at 55.00 a night, we didn't even have them get my vehicle the two days we were there. The doormen are very nice and courteous.
The only Wrinkle was when I first checked in, our room had a connecting door which I hate so I called down to the front desk and asked if all rooms with 2 beds were connecting she said "not all of them". She did not offer to move us which I was not happy about. I told her I don't like staying in rooms like that and she didn't even check to see if there was another room.. just stated "they are not all connecting"... thought she should have offered to move us knowing how I felt about connecting rooms.. Other than the valet price and the room being connecting I had a very nice time and its a nice hotel, the rooms are well appointed and nicely decorated.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park...we didnt and ended up facing a hotel across the street
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Great 3 night stay. Arrived on a Friday and was able to have an early check in. Mallory at the front desk was very nice and helpful. The room was large and very clean. Very nice bathrooms and a comfy bed. All the staff that I encountered was very nice and professional. The concierge was also very helpful and booked play tickets for me. Next time I visit Chicago I will be looking to stay at the Blackstone again.

Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 June 2012

This was a very quick stay and we were in town for a wedding that had us out of the hotel for most of the weekend, but the two nights we spent at the Blackstone were adequate. All of the staff were extremely friendly and the property was quite clean. Our room was surprisingly small, but again, we were barely there, so it served its purpose. Had I paid full price (we pricelined it) or spent more time in the room, I would have asked for a better room. As far as location goes, if you're interested in being in the loop, close to the museums and the lake, then this is a great spot. If you're more interested in shopping and restaurants and nightlife (at least that are open on the weekend), I might suggest you move closer to the river. But all in all I thought this property was well maintained and the staff was quite pleasant. If I had business in the Loop, I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We were in room 1810. I'm guessing that the "10" rooms are the same on all levels. I...
South Carolina
Reviewed 19 June 2012

This is a beautiful hotel that has been nicely renovated. The rooms were well decorated and had nice little extras like a lounge chair with ottoman and bookshelves. Some others had complained about the shower door. I'm not sure what they meant b/c our room had a full, glass shower door. In fact, the shower was one of the best parts of the room!
The bed and pillows were a little less than comfy, but not terrible. It's in a good location, just South of Mag Mile and many of the other hot spots. I easliy walked as far North as Walton St and back.
We also enjoyed the club level room for breakfast/snacks but the breakfast closes early! I showed up one day and was very dissappointed that it was over at 9 am!
We got a deal ont he room (around $180/night with AAA) but the rate on the back of the hotel door said single occupancy was $799!!!
And someone else said valet parking was the only option- not true. The "Hilton" garage is just across the street but also has public parking for less (around $35 I think?).
Overall, a good stay and would go back.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We were in Chicago for my birthday and stayed three days at the hotel. The room was pristine, the view was amazing, the architecture was fabulous, and most importantly, the staff (EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!) was impeccable. My wallet had been stolen while out to eat at a local restaurant, and the staff was SO kind during our late-night frantic search to cancel all the cards. They went out of their way to accomodate us for every wish. I will definitely be a devoted customer for life.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor facing the Lake.