“Did not seem like a 4 star hotel when it came to cleaning”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #38 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The hotel is beautiful and well located. The rooms are very nicely decorated and well laid out, very spacious. We slept well on their mattress'. The bathroom is roomy and nice as well. We had an issue with their cleaning procedures. When we walked into our room upon first receiving our key there was a large spill on the floor that had never been wiped up, by large I mean, 3' long X 1' wide. We had a full evening of activities planned and left immediately, I assumed it would be cleaned up the next day by house keeping. I told 3 different people, including a manager and a maid about the spill and it was never cleaned up in the 4 nights we stayed there. I know that it was not a permanent stain, as we thought this since it was not cleaned up the second day, because I wiped some of it up myself just to check. Also, one evening my husband had used a room glass to have a beer out of. The next day our children went to use a glass after maid service had been through and lucky I was pouring the drink for them, the glass was the same my husband had used the day before and had just been turned upside down and not switched, it clearly smelled of his beer. If this is how they clean there glasses it made me wonder if I had drank out of a glass that someone who had occupied the room before me had. It is regrettable that we had these experiences as the hotel is beautiful. I would rather stay at some place cheaper that has cleaner practices in the future. I would not recommend this to someone that likes a clean environment.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Todd C
Write a ReviewReviews (2,057)

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I was attending a conference in Chicago and stayed at the Renaissance for three nights. The hotel was built in 1903 and has been remodeled but the architecture still preserves its history. The rooms were a bit small but had everything I needed. The bathrooms were really cool... very eccentric and had a really large windowed shower. I had a view overlooking lake Michigan which was wonderful. Room service was always on time and the staff was very friendly. They didn't have a pool which was one downside but I really didn't have time to enjoy a pool anyway. Great location!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We waited hours to get an upgraded lakeside room and they ask us to keep the curtains shut to keep the room cool. Really??~ The air, if they have central air, did not work. Our room was warm and stuffy the entire visit. Guessing this is why they asked us to keep the room dark.
The decor is nice. Vintage and modern. The rooms, beds and bathrooms were nice.
I did not think the hotel was as near as clean as it should be. For example when we checked in with our two year old, thank god I was watching him as he went to play with the large pocket machete that was sitting on the lobby guest table. Needless to say, I was not happy. There were cobwebs on the window coverings.
If you want peace and quiet DO NOT get a room that faces the lake above the street. It was probably the loudest hotel visit I have ever done. Through the entire evening. Maybe if there was any sort of fan in the room, it would have filtered out some of the noise.
Our room service was never picked up from the door. Yuck. Even the next day.
I did have the expectation that this was going to be a better visit than it was. Disappointed hotel traveler.

Room Tip: If a Saturday night, and you wish to get some sleep. Do not stay on the 10th floor facing the lake...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank KNC4
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Blackstone. We got a great deal on Priceline. We thought the hotel was lovely and the room sylishly appointed but I do have one big complaint. That crazy bathroom door- frosted glass door, which you could see through and it slid shut but didn't really close off. I could stick my hand out the door and wave to my husband. Personally, I like bathroom privacy and this just didn't cut it. I'm surprised that none of the other reviews didn't mention this. For this reason alone, I may think twice about staying at the Blacksone.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank veronicatoronto
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to post a review on Trip Advisor. We truly believe that feedback, both positive and negative is a gift as we can learn from them and improve our services. I am glad that you enjoyed your evening with us. I will definitely relay your comment regarding the bathroom door to our General Manager.
We hope to welcome you back to the Blackstone in the future!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Very nice old hotel that has been upgraded but hasn't lost its charm. Good location for walking to some of the best that Chicago has to offer. All the staff were responsive and helpful and the concierges were outstanding...readily available and knowledgeable. There were a couple of different ones over the days we were there but each were incredibly helpful; giving us a map and pointing out nearby sights, recommending restaurants, booking a boat tour, and even helping print something. Didn't like the fact that we had to pay $12.95 (per day) for WIFI in room. The business center was small and not well equipped. The alarm clock in the room had a really bright light on it that we could not turn off so we eventually had to unplug the whole thing!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

I completely agree with you and will relay your comments about our staff and concierge attendants (Navigators). They are the best in the city and represent the Blackstone very nicely.
We hope to welcome you back to the Blackstone in the future!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

A stay at the elegantly renovated Blackstone Hotel in Chicago is like stepping back in time to early 20th Century Chicago. Like Chicago, The Blackstone is big boned and beautiful; rough and tumble with a bit of Tiffany’s thrown in. Sandberg’s “Hog butcher for the world”, Capone’s favorite barber shop; the smoke filled room where John Kennedy was chosen as candidate for President. All of these define The Blackstone Hotel with its remarkable history, period art work, and lovely recent renaissance. Be sure to arrange a tour of the many historic nooks and crannies of The Blackstone.

Each room has been brought to modern standard with complete renovation. Comfortable and bright with today’s conveniences, the large rooms are equally appropriate in preparing for business meetings or a romantic evening on the town. The extra room charge for a view of the Lake is worth it.

Location is everything in Chicago. An easy eight minute walk north brings one to The Chicago Art Institute. McCormick Place is an eight minute cab ride north. The famous Chicago Museum Campus and Shedd Aquarium is a five minute ride south. Also south is one of the great Blues Clubs of Chicago, Kingston Mines. A cab will get you there from The Blackstone in about twelve minutes. When you go, plan to stay ‘til they play legendary Robert Johnson’s “Sweet Home Chicago”. FYI- it probably won’t be an early evening, but it will definitely be a memorable one.

Room Tip: Get one with a view of Lake Michigan.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CMS70
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to post a review on Trip Advisor. It sounds like you enjoy history. You're right, there is a lot of history here at the Blackstone from Al Capone ties to JFK and his favorite clam chowder!
We hope to welcome you back to the Blackstone in the near future. In the meantime, stay well.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

On a spur of the moment whim, I decided to spend a few nights in Chicago at the Blackstone. We booked the room via the Marriott site and received a rate of $149/night. Additionally, because my significant other is a platinum member of their rewards program we also received breakfast in their restaurant as part of the package.

Not only is the Blackstone hotel located in a beautiful part of Chicago, it is also a beautiful property. Getting to the property is a breeze by cab, car, or public transit. Located across from Grant Park, the property has beautiful views of the lake,park, and the city. While we had a room that partially faced another building, the beautiful view of the Hancock building more than made up for it. A potential downside for guest would be the lack of quality restaurants in the immediate area. Additionally, being in the South Loop often means that many establishments close early, 5-7pm.

Upon entering the lobby I was unsure how I felt about the mix of modern and early 1900's decore, but the classic elevators were indeed lovely. My check in was a quick and painless process and I was soon off to the room. Located on the 21st floor we stayed in a Hubbard room. While the room was small, the floor layout gave it a nice flow. The bathroom, in comparison to the room, was quite large and airy. Both areas had automatic dimming lights that we quite enjoyed. The kohler appliances were beautiful and the lit mirror with the in glass tv was a nice touch, although we didn't use it often.

We were granted access to the club longe, which serves breakfast, apps, and desert. However, after our first breakfast in the hotel restaurant we decided to forgo the longe. Speaking of the the restaurant, it was a nice experience and much better than I expected. If you'd rather not eat a full breakfast, there is a little bodega and a Starbucks located in the lower level.

While I try enjoyed our relaxing experience at this property I must admit that there were a few negatives. The housekeeping staff scuffs the walls in the halls with their carts and as a result the wall paper in some places was scuffed. Additionally, our room had black scuffs on one of the walls which was rather ugly to look at. The final negative and most definately a big deal was the quality of the bed in the room in which we stayed. Marriott is known for putting pride into its beds, but clearly the Blackstone does not share the same sentiment. The bed was not only swayed in the middle but was also sloping toward the wall. It didn't necessarily affect our sleep, but it's unattractive and presents a bad image of the hotel. Perhaps in the near future The Blackstone will make an investment in upgrading whats most important, the bed.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple