This was my 3rd trip to Chicago this year, my friend's first time, and I got us booked in the Blackstone off of Priceline.
I had read some info in this historic hotel after winning it and just the history alone about this landmark made me impressed and interested in staying here. We flew into Midway, got us each a 3-day transit pass for $14 and took the Orange Line "L" to Roosevelt station and it was a nice, easy 4 block walk up Wabash to Balbo. Check-in was great. We could not believe the decor in the lobby. It did not at all have a feel of a chain hotel. Now although others complained about the slow check-in, I liked the fact that it was not a long counter that is seen in other hotels. There were 3 different kiosk type counters and the staff were terrific. I till cannot get over the cool feel of the lobby. There is a gold sofa in front of a pool table. There is a Navigator who will help you with any info you need.
The room we got was a Room With A View and what a view of Buckingham Fountain and Lake Michigan. The room was spacious, clean, had a mini fridge in it. There is a Starbucks at street level but only stayed open til 6pm, which made no sense really. The area does get quiet at night, but it is safe to walk up Michigan Ave as there are people still walking around. We never did feel unsafe walking anywhere around The Loop area at night.
If you like a comfy, quaint place then The Blackstone is the place. The staff are all so nice and fun to talk to as well. I seen many people just lounging around in the lobby on the many old style chairs and sofas. It is a hotel with a nice comfortable feel. And to know that this was THE hotel to stay at back in the day. That was a cool impression as well in a city with a ton of history.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Blackstone in downtown Chicago is a storied architectural icon rooted in the city's legendary past, but newly updated to deliver a distinguished hospitality experience for today's discerning traveler. Previously known as the Renaissance Blackstone, this recently revitalized destination is blooming as a point of cultural and creative discovery on the Cultural Mile. The Blackstone, where epic history meets a clever contemporary attitude. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HRS, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Blackstone, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Hotel Chicago
- Renaissance Hotel Blackstone
- Renaissance Chicago
- Chicago Renaissance