“Magnificent”

Ranked #40 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
London, United Kingdom
“Magnificent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed in The Blackstone Renaissance Hotel for two nights over the Easter weekend and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel was amazing and beautifully refurbished to a high standard. All the staff were very efficient and polite and gave us very good service. Our room was spotlessly clean and very, very spacious with a lovely large bathroom and a very comfortable bed. The room was tastefully fitted out to a high standard and was really nice to come back to after a big day out on the town sightseeing. The location of the hotel is ideal as it is close to all the main attractions which are on and near Michigan Ave and we walked everywhere as it wasn't far from most main sights. I would highly recommend this hotel to other travellers as I think you will love this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
HI Amyskye,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review! We agree with you that our location is great - and it feels like Spring is in the air in Chicago! I hope that you can visit again and enjoy all that Grant Park has to offer!
Kim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Korean first
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Blackstone for 3 nights while on a business trip to the area. It was close to my meeting location and on the list of nearby hotels, so I chose to stay. And am so glad I did!

First, the hotel is elegantly decorated in the lobby and public areas. My room on the 19th floor was clean, comfortable, and nicely appointed. As a Marriott Platinum member, I have stayed in many Marriott properties, and found this one to be above average in decor, cleanliness, and room size.

The hotel food was really good. I ordered room service dinner one night and the restaurant gladly accommodated a special request. The concierge lounge snacks and breakfasts seemed to be slightly better quality than other Marriott lounges. And as a bonus, there is a full service Starbucks in the hotel lobby (just up the stairs on the concourse level).

My bed was comfortable with a thick down-like comforter. And since I had a lot of work to do in the evenings, I appreciated the oversized desk and workspace. I also enjoyed having a fridge in the room to store snacks and leftovers.

My only two complaints... The towels were paper thin and scratchy. Since everything else in the hotel seemed luxurious, it was surprising to have such low quality towels in the bathroom. And second, I tried to use the wired Internet connection in my room for a one hour VOIP conference call... And the Internet connection wasn't strong enough to maintain connectivity. I was disappointed in that, and so was my client.

I would definitely choose to stay here again during my next trip to Chicago.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank trvlgrl99
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Thank you so much for your review!! I really appreciated you taking the time to provide so much information as well as the feedback! We are in the process of installing a larger band width circuit for our internet so hopefully the next time you visit you will not experience any issues.
I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

The hotel is ok, good room service, good receptions. Rooms are clean, nice and confortables, everithing is working good.
For working and meeting is a good place, they are really helpful for every needing, and the receptionists are really fast and professional.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
HI Digne,
Thank you so much for your review! I would have loved to have gotten some additional feedback on the hotel but was happy to see all the positive information you wrote including the staff being helpful! We really pride ourselves on the helpfulness, friendliness and overall service of our staff!
Hope you can come back again some day.
KIm
ontario, canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

This is an older hotel, once owned by the mob we were told, that is well maintained, and beautifully appointed. It is at the South end of Michigan Ave, which is very close to the Chigaco Museum of Art, and in the other direction, the convention centre.
The restaurant is run by an Iron Chef, and is tapas style and amazing, and the small bar serves the same food, and some great local beers on tap.
The rooms are very comfortable and quiet, and the staff was very friendly and helpful.
I would stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: There is a bank of rooms that face the interior of the courtyard, and your window will be overlookin...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you, Marmouse, for taking the time to write a review! We definitely appreciate the feedback and hope that you will come and visit again. The hotel was never owned by the mob but certainly has alot of amazing history including Al Capone frequenting the barbershop (now a beautiful meeting room), and over 12 presidents have stayed here including JFK.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed for a conference - enjoyed the convenience and the beautiful building. My room was small, but very comfortable. Concierge lounge was nice place to relax and had nice breakfast. The bathroom was great - nicer than mine at home! When you factor in the cost (over $500 for two nights), I wasn't THAT impressed. At those prices, service could have been a little more attentive. "Navigator" was helpful to find nearby restaurants. All in all, would definitely recommend if you have $$ to spend.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Dear JMWW8,
Thank you for taking the time to fill out this review! I am glad you enjoyed the hotel but would LOVE to hear what other types of things we could have done to make it more special! Glad that our Navigator was helpful - we try to be able to recommend local happenings that you don't traditionally find in a hotel.
Hope that you will consider staying with us again.
Kim C.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

We stayed at the Blackstone for a nieces wedding. The hotel rooms were newly renovated and very comfortable. The ballroom was spectacular. Food was good and the location is perfect.
We can not say enough about the wonderful service that we received.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Congratulations to your neice! We love our weddings and do have quite a few of them throughout the year as our ballroom space is absolutelty gorgeous!
I am so thrilled that you found the staff to be attentive, as well.
Please come back and visit us again, soon.
Kim C.
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

I wanted to stay near the Art Museum in case the March weather was not spring like. Excellent location for most museums, the El, straight bus ride to United Center, walk to Theatres. This lovely turn of the 19th and 20th Century hotel has been lovingly updated. The lobby maintains it's original traditional elegance while the rooms are creatively decorated in good contemporary
Furnishings. The ceilings in the rooms are high with 6 inch crown molding and the bath is large with beautiful white marble.The view from the city side is interesting and glows at night to the top of the Willis
I almost forgot the pillows are fabulous even better than Sheraton's.
The only negative is the charge for Internet in the rooms if you are not a gold or platinum me bed of the Marriott. Time for a change!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear marymargaretcarr,
Thank you so much for choosing the Blackstone! I am so happy that you enjoyed the hotel and found the location to be convenient!
I hope that we can welcome you back again, soon.