“Meeting in Chicago”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #38 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is a nice hotel, with the ambience of the old world. I was there last week for four nights. The hotel was clean, quiet and very comfortable! It is close to restaurants and other attractions. And to give you a sense of distance, it's only a one mile walk to Wacker Drive.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Thanks, Ronald L, for taking the time to review our hotel! We are thrilled that you enjoyed it and thought that it was clean, comfortable and a convenient location. I hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Attended a conference and stayed two nights. In terms of Chicago, this is an historic hotel with the advantage of a recent refurbishment that works very well. My room was spacious and included a good supply of coffee, easy to access plugs, a really effective shower and an iPod dock/player. Bed was very comfortable, if a little on the soft side and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Very good location as well as being easily accessible from O'Hare by public transport (Blue line to Jackson, change to red line, one stop to Harrison and it's about three blocks walk - about 45 mins door to door).
No pool but lovely jogging areas just across the street.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Pi31415
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Thanks so much for your review - all the way from Dublin!
I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and especially proud that you found the team to be friendly and accommodating! I appreciate that feedback and will share it with the team.
I hope you will consider us again if and when you come to Chicago.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Attended a conference and stayed for 3 nights at this hotel. Historic downtown location with modern, recently remodeled rooms. Service is good and a terrific location; across from Grant Park and a short walk to the Art Institute, Millennium Park, and Lake Michigan. Fitness center is spacious. Didn't see a pool or hot tub. Overall, a good experience

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thanks, Mike from Seattle for the great review! I really appreciate you taking the time! We are quite proud of the hotel and glad you enjoyed not only the historic nature of it but also the modern, contemporary touches that make it unique.
Hope you will come back and visit again.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I won a gift certificate for a night at this hotel through a work raffle. Since I wasn't paying for the room, I just assumed my husband and I would get the bargain basement room on the lowest floor possible. We actually got a fabulous King room on the 20th floor with a view of the lake and the Museum Campus--a wonderful surprise. Being from Chicago, I remember when the hotel was closed for renovations and whoever was in charge sure did a good job! We had all the amenities you could want in a luxury hotel room and many we didn't even think of. The walls/floors must be very thick or sound insulated as I never heard any other guests. You can hear street traffic and since this hotel is right off Michigan Avenue, that includes some honking horns; but you are in the city and it's to be expected.

The staff was what really made the stay memorable. I stay in hotels fairly often and the staff at this hotel really did go above and beyond. From the front desk staff to the bellhop, to the doorman, everyone was engaging and friendly, not just to us to everyone they interacted with. Whoever trains this staff does a great job! It's a fantastic location for doing a lot of touristy things in the city as it's right across the street from Grant Park and a short walk away to the Museum Campus. And Lou Malnati's is only a few blocks away. BONUS!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Hi Ann K,
Thank you so much for your review!!! What a fun way to start out the summer with a STAYCATION in Chi-town.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and especially happy that you found the staff to be engaged and GREAT, overall! WE really do take great pride in our team and the service that they try to provide our guests.
I hope you will come back again, soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

My friend and I stayed here overnight on a girls weekend. The hotel is very nice! It retains the classy, historic feel while being upscale. The rooms are comfortable, the bathroom was huge! The large, open shower was nice. I was glad to find there was a small fridge in the room. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ryoko_Izara

Dear Ryoko_Izara,
Thank you for the terrific review! WE really appreciate that you took the time and effort to post!
Let us know the next time you come to visit.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

This was the first time we stayed at The Blackstone Renaissance and it was overall a wonderful experience. A historic hotel, fully renovated in 2008. Danielle at the front desk started us off right with a free upgrade to a double room, since we ended up bringing the kids with us. That was such a lovely gift! It was a great room, on a secured floor. Not the greatest view out the main windows, but from the side window we could see Lake Michigan and a bit of Navy Pier. Our only small complaint is that we could hear the elevator whirring and clunking pretty much all day and night (room 2104), next time we'll ask for a room away from the elevator.

Our room was exceptionally clean, I loved not finding any hair in the bathroom (big pet peeve).

They graciously sent a fax for me when I remembered a business item that needed to be taken care of. Shannon the concierge also went above and beyond. I was having trouble booking tickets for the 6 p.m. show of the Cirque Shanghai and Shannon tweeted the organizers and took my number in case they tweeted back. When she didn't hear back, she called the PR company for the troupe, who told her there was a problem with Ticketmaster for the 6 p.m. show. She called to let me know that we could get tickets on site and they would honor the HotTix price. Well when I got there, Circque Shanghai ended up giving us FREE tickets! Unfortunately we didn't get to use them because they canceled the 6 p.m. show due to weather. But still, we really appreciated Shannon's extra effort.

The hotel is convenient to the museum campus (Field Museum and Aquarium), but not the closest to downtown if you are hoping for shopping or nightlife. Still, it wasn't a bad bus ride when needed. If the weather had been a little warmer, we would have taken the water taxi from the Aquarium to Navy Pier - fun!

Kids would have liked to have had a pool, but they appreciated the historic splendor. Tapas restaurant was overpriced (even for Chicago) and just OK quality. Definitely not a family-friendly dining option. Try breakfast at Yolk a few blocks south, we ate there two mornings and everyone left happy.

Overall, thumbs up! We usually stay at the Radisson Blu Aqua when we're in Chicago, but we'd try The Blackstone again.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from elevator to avoid whirring and clunking. Next time we'll try for a l...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Hi Michigan Traveler,
I very much appreciate you taking the time to write a review and also to provide such great feedback! We will definitely pass on your comments to the team, as I know they will enjoy seeing it.
We look forward to welcoming you back again, soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

The area itself its not the nicest in Chicago. The only good thing is the park across the street and the White Sox stadium, close by. But to walk behind or around its not a good idea..
The Hotel entrance itself is difficult if you are carrying luggage. No help at all in or out...And its funny how bellmen after you took yourself your piece of luggage want to help to put them in the taxis....they should aware and standing in the lobby trying to help..
The breakfast was very standard the miss my order, but they refund a part of the check. Room Service did not charge to your room, due a technical situation...anyway pizza was good.
They tray stay in the hall for more than a day...
Rooms are nice and hall are new. They should free Internet and TV should be bigger...Courtyard and Holiday Inns have them bigger!...
Service at check in/check were ok.

1  Thank PECASMAN

Hello ALBFER,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
I am sorry that you didn't find our location to be convenient. We are a little South of the Loop but only a few blocks from the main business and financial district. We definitely have bellmen and doormen staffed at the hotel so I'm sorry they weren't there to assist you - I would appreciate knowing your dates of stay so I can try to determine what the issue was.
Your feedback was very helpful, thank you for that. I hope that you will consider returning some day.