“Not what I expected”

Ranked #37 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
San Diego, California
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

After a long day of fighting traffic and weather this hotel was recommended to me by friends in the area as a "great place with great views".

When I arrived I was greeted warmly and friendly by the front desk staff and even though it was hectic beyond belief I was made to feel as if I was an old friend. The room was spacious and accommodating and The overall views of the surrounding area were quite pleasant.

Over all I wanted to give my stay four out of five stars.. This is one hotel I will come back to.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
I am so glad that we exceeded your expectations!
Thanks so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Kim C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My wife and I had a great time in Chicago. The hotel experience at the Blackstone made it even that much better. The staff was amazing from the moment we checked-in. The valet staff were very helpful in getting us to the places we wanted to go. The room was AMAZING. We would stay there again without a doubt. Also, it was nice to have a Starbucks part of the hotel. That was a bonus.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Hi JBauer12!
Thank you so much for your kind comments! I will definitely share them with the staff. We so appreciate you taking the time to write a review and choosing th Blackstone for your visit to Chicago! I hope that we can welcome you back again soon!
Kim C.
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I came to Chicago this December to have a weekend away with friends. We choose the Blackstone because of its amazing location (minutes away from all trans.) and from word of mouth. Glad we did. The minute you walk in you feel warm and welcomed. The front desk staff is kind and really makes you feel at home. The rooms are a good size for the area and well appointed. Our first night we had dinner at Mercat a la planxa the on-site tapas restaurant and was amazed. Food was excellent and the atmosphere was good as well. I plan on visiting the Blackstone every time I visit Chicago.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine for the price.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you MarshalK, for taking the time to write a review of the Blackstone Renaissance ! We so appreciate it. I am especially thrilled that you thought the staff was amazing and I will be sure to pass your comments on to them! As you know, the staff can make or break a hotel and I am thrilled to be able to say we have a fantastic team!
I hope to welcome you back again soon.
Kim C.
Reviewed 23 December 2013

From the moment I walked in, I was treated like a Rock Star! The team there is skilled and on point - the service was just over-the-top. Everyone using my name, checking on my needs and making sure I was comfortable. The decor was classy and elegant - the hotel is located in a GREAT spot! It was just a really FANTASTIC experience. They really spoiled me and I will be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much DRossSla for your terrific comments! We so appreciate you writing a review and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the attention provided by our fabulous team members!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I stayed here this past week with my sister who is from out of town. We drove in from the burbs and parked in the South Grant Park parking lot. The overnight cost was $34.00. I thought this was reasonable.

The hotel is just past it's glory days. I was sort of surprised there was no doorman to help with our bags or open the door when we came in. We entered on the ground level but had to go up several stairs to check in, hauling our own luggage. Not really a big deal, but at one time, I'm sure there was a doorman.

I had requested a room on a top floor, two queen beds and a view of the lake and down pillows. I spoke directly with the hotel when I made the reservation and we were shown to room 1919. Exactly what I had hoped for. The room was fine for an overnight visit. The bathroom was large with a shower only but the floors were marble which spoke to me of it's bygone days. They provided a few toiletries and when I realized I left my tooth brush at home they were able to provide me one free of charge.

There was a small entry way into the room that was beautiful white marble. The room had a small safe and fridge. There was a very nice welcome basket for us with some fresh fruit and a couple of granola bars. We really appreciated the effort. The hotel does not provide free internet however which is always a minus for me.

We were able to take advantage of the restaurant in the hotel, Mercat a la Planxa which is a tapas restaurant. I'd definitely stay in this hotel again and ask for the same room.

Room Tip: Room 1919 has a nice view of the lake and is quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Hello phaera,
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Blackstone Renaissance! I am so sorry that you were not met by a door man. We definitely have doormen that perform all of those duties so all I can imagine is that they got called away or stepped away at the exact time you checked in- I am so sorry for that. Just as a reference, we also have a door to the right of the main entrance that leads to an elevator so we have access for ADA, etc.
I'm pleased, though, that you enjoyed the other aspects of your stay and look forward to welcoming you back!
Illinois
Reviewed 20 December 2013

A recent overnight stay at the Blackstone (my second visit) reminded me how much I love this property. The staff is so friendly and helpful, the hotel spotless and comfortable, and the room quiet and comfy. The fitness center is also one of the nicest I've had the privilege of using...running on the treadmill with a view of the park was bonus (usually run on Lakeshore, but 17 degrees was a bit cool this visit). The location for this trip was a little far south on Michigan since we like to walk everywhere we go (and it was cold!!), but ordinarily not a problem. Would love to come back and stay again in warmer weather...location would be perfect for the Art Institute, Lake & Grant Park, and the museums.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MLivestoEat
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Hello LivestoEat975!
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review, but more so, thanks for making the Blackstone Renaissance a favorite of yours!!! We are thrilled and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Since you love to eat, have you ever tried our Iron Chef inspired restaurant, Mercat a la Planxa?
Hope to see you soon.
Haskins
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Almost enough said! Great location, close to all transportation, museums, and shopping. The architecture is magnificent, so nostalgic to be there. The room was large, clean, and had all the modern amenities. It was fun, Thanks!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much, Glenn H for enjoying our hotel and for sharing your views with others! We really appreciate you taking the time.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.