“Great place, excellent value”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #39 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Bloomington IN
“Great place, excellent value”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I spent six nights at this hotel and really, really liked it. Six days is a pretty long stay, but the Blackstone is so lovely and comfortable that it was a pleasure being there right up to the end. The building itself is grand. My room was huge, elegantly furnished, and conveniently appointed. Nothing was lacking. As a business traveler, I really appreciated the bug marble-topped desk; there was a refrigerator, nice coffee making supplies, lots of marble, excellent shower, roomy closet. Best of all, it was QUIET. This is something I almost never get to say about hotels. Either the walls are thin, there's a connecting door, or loud people in the halls. This room was blissfully silent. I would stay here any time in the future. It's an excellent value in every respect.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Hello Erster,
Thank you so much for your review! I love that you found the hotel to be great, even for a 6 night stay! Blissfully quiet is a pretty amazing description considering you are in downtown Chicago!
Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Kim C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I booked the Blackstone simply due to an important job interview in the same hotel in the afternoon. Told the manager that I need a couple of hours to stay and prepare for the interview, but they just wanna suck money. Between 12pm-5pm, they rushed me to leave for three times. At the end, I checked out at 5pm, and was charged an extra fee of $104 for the five-hour extension.

Room Tip: throw your money somewhere else, but not here. They treated you harshly and charged you $20 per hour...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear NajungK,
I am so sorry that you felt you were treated unfairly by our team! That was certainly not the intention, but check out time is 12noon and that is the policy so that we can get the room ready for the next customer. It is a standard practice in hotels to charge a half day rate if a customer wants to stay that much longer in the room. We generally do not charge people if it is one or two hours, but it is difficult to manage a hotel when people want to stay late into the day.
I hope that you did well with your interview and will consider visiting us again.
Monticello, Illinois
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I were satisfied with this hotel. The bed and pillows were comfy. The bathroom decor was fun. There were real glasses in the room (no plastic cups). They even stocked the bathroom with cotton balls and Q-tips. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Hi A D,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review!
We are thrilled that you enjoyed the experience and that you will come and visit with us again.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We attended the wedding of friends over a cold but delightful weekend in Chicago. The hotel did an absolutely stunning job with the event and a good time was had by all! The view outside our window left much to-be-desired, but as that was not the purpose of our trip we laughed it off. However, the staff to a person was extremely helpful. We will definitely return and this time bring our dog.

Room Tip: Ask for a high view with either a view of the lake or the park.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Deborah R
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Hi DeborahH!
So glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Blackstone! We do amazing weddings here, as you know, in our fabulous Crystal Ballroom! I'm sorry you didn't love your room - that is the problem with urban hotels - not all rooms face a direction that has a fantastic view!!!
I look forward to welcoming you back, though, let me know and we will try to get you into a fantastic Lake View room.
Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I visited Chicago for pleasure over the weekend of Feb. 8th. The location drew me as it is right on Michigan Ave. near several attractions and Museums. I WAS NOT disappointed ! The Hotel was fantastic along with the friendly staff and surroundings ! I 'toured' the Hotel to check out the Art Hall, Ballroom and ate at the wonderful Restaurant- Mercat La Planxa, Fabulous Food ! A taste in Fine European Dining ! The historical aura of the Hotel and location make The Blackstone a must on your visit to Chicago ! All of the staff right down to the Service people were warm and courteous and it made the experience that much more memorable. All were willing to share their thoughts and perspective on the Hotel and the city when I had questions. The fitness Center was top notch for an early morning workout before I started out in the morning ! The club room was wonderful for a snack or a light breakfast too ! You MUST make the Blackstone a 'stop and stay' on your next visit to Chicago ! I know I will !

Room Tip: The views on the Lakeside are wonderful !
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Hi lakesapphire1!
Thank you so much for your review! We really appreciate you taking the time and are thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel. I hope that you will come and visit us again soon!
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Beautiful historic building. All of the staff at this hotel are very nice. From the time we arrived, we were treated as if we were royalty. The room was big and clean. The bellman Rory was great and remembered our names, and always went out of his way to say hello. We spent half our stay here and the other half of the week on the mile at a larger hotel. We wish we would have stayed here all week. Hands down, the best hotel experience in Chicago so far.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Wow, CoreyWood,
Thank you so much for your fabulous review! We so appreciate it and I will be sure to bring your comments to the team - as they really do try to make each and every guest encounter a great one!
Please let me know when you return again.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Blackstone for our anniversary. The location was perfect! Our view overlooked Michigan Ave., the park and the lake. Our room was clean and the staff was very helpful. It was a wonderful experience and we would recommend this hotel to our family and friends!

• Stayed February 2014
Hi Sobispo,
Thanks so much for spending your Anniversary with us! This hotel is full of amazing history and I LOVE it when our guests create present day memories that will be remembered forever! I hope that you will visit us again. Please let me know as I would appreciate being able to say hello.
Kim C.