“The Service isn't as Lovely as the Property”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #36 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Sacramento, California
“The Service isn't as Lovely as the Property”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This lovely, historical hotel has a great location and nicely decorated, comfortable rooms BUT...the quality of the staff doesn't match that of the building.

The front desk personnel are not as gracious, hospitable or elegant as the hotel building itself. For this location and price range, one expects a greater degree of customer service and a better--less surly-- attitude. Having stayed at many hotels like this, I can hazard a guess that the management here has cut back on staff and training. It's a shame that this hotel doesn't provide the wonderful service you'd expect from its outward appearance.

Room tips: the hotel is a block from the "El" train, so you'll hear it day and night unless you are on the east (lake-facing, $50 upgrade-paying) side. Even in a non-eastern side floor room on a very high floor still had this annoying noise. Also, beware the old plumbing in the hotel. When your neighbor showers, you'll know it!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SacAnnie
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hi SacAnnie -
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am thrilled that you liked the property but so sorry that you did not have a good experience with our team. That is so disappointing as we generally get good feedback with regard to the staff. I have emailed you separately to try to get some additional information as we take this type of situation very seriously! I hope that you will allow us to try to change your opinion by visiting us again. Please let me know the next time you come to Chicago!
Kim C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Korean first
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

The view from our room on the 17th floor facing Lake Michigan was fabulous. The room was comfortable and the bed a king size was large and easy to sleep on. The view was arresting. But we had reserved a room with two queens. So this did not work for my family. The management said they couldn't honor a request made from a third party which was the internet booking company which made the arrangement.
The house keeping service was horrific. We were out of our room from 8:30 am until 2:30 pm and were surprised to find our room was not made up and we had no clean towels. We had a wedding and needed to shower and dress. The front desk said they would send a housekeeper immediately. No one ever showed when we left at 5pm the housekeeper had not yet arrived. The management wrote me a letter of apology but that did us no good. The view was spectacular but the service was horrible and really caused a serious problem with our stay.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank AmeliaNYCarea
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Hi Amelia NY,
I am so sorry that you experienced issues during your recent stay at the property. I know it was a very busy weekend but absolutely no excuse for not having great housekeeping service! I am definitely following up on it to insure that similar situations so do not recur!
I appreciate you taking the time to bring it to our attention. Do you visit Chicago often? I would be thrilled to have the opportunity to turn around your opinion of us.
Perkinston, MS
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Renaissance Blackstone. Everything went smoothly, no real issues. Most of the employees were very friendly and helpful. The only thing I would say is that during our stay I had a strong desire to tell a couple of the people at the front desk to smile, that life couldn't be that bad. They didn't do anything that was an issue, I just got the impression they were not happy in their job.

But there were plenty of other employees that made our stay quite enjoyable. I was especially impressed with the guys at the front door. Very cheerful, very happy, and always asking if they could help.

We had a queen/queen room that was at the end of the hallway, in the corner, and I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Very quiet, with plenty of room. Not much of a view, all we could see was the rooms across the way, but we didn't really care about that.

Great bathroom with modern fixtures and the amount of space in the room was a pleasant surprise. Loved the Aveda products in the bathroom! I would like them to upgrade the towels, they are small and not very thick, but they served the purpose.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who stayed in Chicago.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank hapihart
Hi Hapihart -
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and really appreciate the fact that you would recommend it! I am, however, not happy that the team didn't look happy to work here! We are in the hospitality business because generally we love it - so I can assure you that we will take your comments to heart and hopefully help the team to provide a better experience for our guests.
I hope that you will visit us again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I had the opportunity to take a "stay-cation" in Chicago, and am lucky to have spent it at The Blackstone. I've always admired the building with all of it's history, so I was thrilled to stay there. The room was excellent with a superb view of Grant Park, Lake Michigan, and Museum Campus. The service and staff were outstanding. The check-in process was a breeze, with very courteous and informative staff. I chatted with two concierge during my stay, Claire and Shannon, and both answered all of my questions and offered wonderful downtown restaurant recommendations. The location can not be beat. On Michigan Avenue, it's in walking distance to the loop for business travelers, as well as Museum Campus, the park, and the Mag Mile for leisure travelers.

Room Tip: I had a Southeast corner room, and the view was ridiculously amazing - Grant Park, Lake Michigan, an...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Heather S
Hi Heather S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We are thrilled that you chose the Blackstone Renaissance for your staycation destination and especially happy that you found it convenient to everything you wanted. I hope that you will come and visit us again soon.
mississippi
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a nice hotel, good location and crabby front desk clerk. Checked in, all ok up to the point that Mallory decided to be a B. We were there 2 days and almost left because of her attitude. Great rooms, bar and valets.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank bob193
Hi bob 193!
WOW - I am so sorry to hear about your experience with our front desk agent. Generally, we get great comments about our team so please accept our apologies for what was obviously a bad situation. Can you let me know when you come back to Chicago? I would appreciate the opportunity to try to make it up to you and change your image about the team.
Thanks so much!
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Norma Munoz was very friendly and helpful. She went above and beyond to help out with our special requests. Entire staff was polite, friendly, and helpful. I would definitely stay here again. Does not feel like a hotel overtaken by busy people in a hurry. Service still counts here.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Neeeeen
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Hello Neeeeen,
Thank you, thank you, thank you! We so appreciate you taking the time to write a review, to actually mention one of our fabulous associates, Norma, in the Executive Lounge AND to recognize how friendly and helpful our staff is! I can't tell you how much that means to the team and I will definitely pass on the praise! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Ohio
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I've been a guest at the Renaissance Blackstone several times and each time I enjoy it better than the last! This visit was enhanced by the top notch service afforded me in the Executive Lounge on the 23rd floor, particularly by Norma Munoz. I was stressed by computer and phone mishaps while trying to keep my work going and Ms. Munoz was a gem! I visited the lounge every evening for the appetizers and desserts offered and she always offered warm hospitality and a generous hand to keep me going with my work. I highly recommend a stay for business travel at this property. It's convenient, comfortable and offers amazing views!

Room Tip: Stay on the side that overlooks Millineum Park and Lake Michigan.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Hi OhioLetsGo2,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and to specifically mention our fantastic associate, Norma, up in the Executive Lounge. I am thrilled to hear how helpful she is and so glad that you have returned again and again. We look forward to welcoming you back!