“memorial day vacation” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Pittsburgh
“memorial day vacation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel is very small .. housekeeping is slow. Our room wasn't ready . granted we did get there early. the front desk lady told us that she would call when the room was ready so my husband and i walked around chicago for 3 hours and no one ever called us. and no one apologized. there is no hotel shuttle. the cleaning was not great. a left over pill was on the floor. someone's else's hair was left over. I would not choose this property again. i got this room off priceline because my husband gets cheap when it comes to hotel room. i on the other hand prefer the Hyatt Regency in the loop or the W or even the real Renaissance Hotel. Not this awful overpriced knock off. and the air condition in the room was terrible and temperatures were rising in chicago.

Room Tip: my tip is to choose another hotel
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Hi mrs. Jones,
I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your experience at the hotel. During this busy season when we go from sell out to sell out it is very difficult to provide early arrivals! I am unhappy that you didnt receive follow up and I can assure you I will follow up with the staff! I wish that you would give us another chance to make a better impression! Please let me know when you visit Chicago again!
Kim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I spent our Memorial Day weekend at the Blackstone and LOVED it. First off, the Blackstone is gorgeous and glamorously decorated. This landmark hotel has been restored and updated, mixing just enough new modern design with the old. I found the staff to be incredibly friendly and attentive even though it was a VERY busy weekend. Our room was amazing! I really wanted to take the Eames lounge chair home with me! The bed was super comfy with an abundance of pillows. The bathroom was large and luxurious with bright, but flattering lighting and stocked with Aveda products. Our view of Lake Michigan was spectacular, needless to say, but also I couldn't get enough of the Chicago skyline and old building roof tops. I overheard on the elevator that the gym is pretty nice, but I personally didn't check it out as I was too busy eating on my trip. There's an art hall featuring the work of local artists that's worth seeing whether you're a guest or not and an in-house Starbucks because everyone needs their caffeine fix. The downtown location is close to tourist attractions like the Art Institute of Chicago and Navy Pier. There's also plenty of trains and buses nearby that my husband and I took to all the fun neighborhoods in Chicago. Seriously, one of my favorite hotel experiences.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hi Helen M!
Wow! Thank you so much for your review! I am thrilled that the Blackstone Renaissance was one of your favorite hotel experiences - we are honored and can't wait for you to come back again soon!
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a stellar stay at the Blackstone. The hotel itself is very charming and tastefully decorated. The rooms are spacious and ours had an amazing view down Michigan Ave and of the Chicago skyline. Staff was very friendly and helpful, answering any questions we had with a smile and giving us a great recommendation for brunch at Yolk just down the street. Finally, the location is super convenient, across the street from Millennium Park, a short walk up Michigan from the river and the Gold Coast, and easy access to several CTA stops with good connection to O'hare. Highly recommended!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hi stuckinschool!
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for taking the time to write a review. We really appreciate all that you mentioned including how great the staff was - how convenient the location is and how great the rooms are. I sure hope that you will come and visit us again soon!
Thanks so much,
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I came to Chicago to see the sites and eat the food. The view of the Chicago skyline from our room was so amazing we left the curtains open at night! The accommodations and staff are first rate. Pool table in the lobby too! Ask the front desk for a card and you can get first class service at the best brunch place in town...Yolk!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hello, Runchef!
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and especially happy that you got a room with a great view and had such a nice getaway!
I hope that you will come and visit us again soon.
Cynthian
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent a beautiful May weekend at the Blackstone, the ideal jumping off point for exploring the sights along Michigan Ave. The hotel has a great workout room with a view of the lake and wonderful cooled towels. Our room, however, did not boast the most comfortable chair, and the bathroom door (hung to slide like a barn door) was heavy and off its track. The beds were very comfortable, though, and the room was very clean.

Room Tip: We had only a tiny view of Lake Michigan. Request a room that fronts Michigan Ave. so you can enjoy...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank betsy s
Hi Betsy S,
So glad that you had a nice weekend getaway in Chicago! Sorry that you didn't love the chair and we certainly should have fixed the bathroom door! I will definitely follow up with the team. We do have a grouping of rooms that front Michigan Ave and have an amazing room - generally we sell those for a bit more than the regular rooms. I hope that you will return and visit us again.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel. I try to stay at Marriott properties for the points, but am sometimes disappointed in the generic look and feel that many of them have. This hotel is a classic. Beautiful old building, completely updated. HIp, but not too...hip. Bathroom is great, white marble, big sink, funky wallpaper. I had a great lake front and park view which is really one of a kind. Got to watch the Buckinham Fountain water and light show. I did move my chair and ottoman from it's location in the corner to one with the view. Because of that, I moved the desk chair to the corner as that chair was now in the way of the TV. I then felt like a queen.

For some, the location is great as it is near the water front, Art Institute, etc. But when I went on Open Table for walkable dinner options, it was a little sparse.

Because the sun rose so early -- 5:30am --i walked two blocks and rented a bike. I rode for two hours, along the Lake, through Lincoln Park, and was back before the traffic started.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kendallwood
Hi Kendalwood -
I am so happy that you loved the property! It sounds like you took full advantage of our great lake location and enjoyed biking the lakefront trail! What a view and what a workout! I hope that you will visit us again soon.
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This lovely, historical hotel has a great location and nicely decorated, comfortable rooms BUT...the quality of the staff doesn't match that of the building.

The front desk personnel are not as gracious, hospitable or elegant as the hotel building itself. For this location and price range, one expects a greater degree of customer service and a better--less surly-- attitude. Having stayed at many hotels like this, I can hazard a guess that the management here has cut back on staff and training. It's a shame that this hotel doesn't provide the wonderful service you'd expect from its outward appearance.

Room tips: the hotel is a block from the "El" train, so you'll hear it day and night unless you are on the east (lake-facing, $50 upgrade-paying) side. Even in a non-eastern side floor room on a very high floor still had this annoying noise. Also, beware the old plumbing in the hotel. When your neighbor showers, you'll know it!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SacAnnie
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hi SacAnnie -
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am thrilled that you liked the property but so sorry that you did not have a good experience with our team. That is so disappointing as we generally get good feedback with regard to the staff. I have emailed you separately to try to get some additional information as we take this type of situation very seriously! I hope that you will allow us to try to change your opinion by visiting us again. Please let me know the next time you come to Chicago!