“Birthday stay. ”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #38 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

My best friend paid for us to stay here for a night. I must say this hotel might be small but it is simple beautiful. Our room wasn't what we asked for we wanted a room with double beds however we ended up with a room with a king bed but it worked out fine since my friend and I are both small women. Lol but we did have a great view. The washroom was so pretty I really like the wallpaper and the shower was amazing it had a great overhead shower jet. Awesome. I would recommend this hotel to friends.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Hi Tammy,
Happy Birthday!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am thrilled that you loved the hotel and enjoyed your birthday! I am sorry that we weren't able to provide a room with two beds, but in the summer, especially, there are more requests for them than what we have! I hope you will return and visit us again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Blackstone, Autograph Collection

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here for our National convention for work. This is a smaller hotel and quite nice. Staff is very friendly and helpful. My business credit card exceeded its limit but the staff was accommodation and helped us through the process.

The rooms were nice and spacious and the location was good even though it was close to the south side. This is like the southern end of the north side if that makes any sense. State Street is behind the hotel and has tons of shops and restaurants. There is plenty to see and do near the hotel. Soldier field is just a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room wit ha view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank milton919
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hi Milton919!
Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review! I'm glad that you enjoyed the hotel and found the location to be convenient and near a lot of interesting things.
I hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I went on a business trip with my husband and we stayed at this hotel. The lobby takes you back quite a few years when you first walk inside. The check in went smooth and everyone was very friendly. We had no trouble with housekeeping during our stay. We had room service and we ate in the restaurant & bar area. It was all great. My husband goes every year here but it was my first visit. We would like to take our grand daughter next year but I am not sure if the restaurant would have enough "kid friendly" foods for her. For adults, it is definitely a good place to stay!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Leslie S

Hi LeslieS -
What fun! So glad you could accompany your husband and enjoy a few days in Chicago! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back again. The restaurant does have some "kid food" selections and I'm sure would accommodate any special requests.
See you soon!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

My wife took me there for a weekend in the city. It was a great hotel and the minute you walk in the front entrance you know its a nice hotel. They upgraded us to a higher floor with a view of the water and Soldier Field since it was a birthday weekend. The rooms were spacious and great decor. Only thing I did not like was the sliding door for the bathroom and the shower was a "walk-in" and the water would go everywhere and all over the bathroom floor. The best part was that I left some shirts in the closet when we left. I called two weeks later after I realized they were missing and the lost and found crew, especially Calvin, helped track down the one shirt I wanted back. He did everything he could to save the day! Thanks Calvin. I recommend this hotel for a fun night in the city or for business travel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up higher to avoid the loud noise from the streets
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PSchicke

Hi PSchicke,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! Calvin will so appreciate the "shout-out" and I will be sure to recognize him as well! I'm glad that you enjoyed your weekend and found the hotel to your liking!
I hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here a number of times over the years and always had good luck. Staff is exceptional and treats premier guests extra special.
If you like history (or watched Boardwalk Empire), this is the hotel where the Republican National Convention was held where famously, Warren Harding bought his way to a presidency.
Anyhow, great history and hotel. Short cab to anywhere and easy to find.

• Stayed: June 2014
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

HI yourthoughts!
Thanks so much for the feedback! We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review and I love that you know the history of the hotel! Let me know when you come to Chicago next time and we will see if the Suite of Presidents might be available for you to stay in!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Overall our stay at the Blackstone was OK. It was clean, the staff was wonderfully nice and the turn down service was welcoming and yet for the money, it wouldn't be at the top of my list to stay again. The room was small and the bathroom had the toilet, sinks and shower inside so multiple people could not get ready at the same time. The sliding glass door offered absolutely NO PRIVACY. If you were standing outside the closet area you could see a person sitting on the toilet. If you were sitting at the desk you could see the person taking a shower right through the gaping opening that the sliding door didn't cover. The hotel was quiet, the room thermostat was spot on keeping us comfortable. The Peninsula in Chicago would be a much nicer stay.

Room Tip: We stayed at the club level, floor 22 and the wifi was free. Otherwise you pay for your wifi.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LAJ415

Hello LAJ415,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review! I am sorry that you didn't LOVE the hotel, but certainly happy that you found the staff to be great and the rooms to be clean. As a historic, downtown hotel, all of our rooms are a little different and the layout for each depends on the location. I wish you would give us another chance - please let me know if you decide to come into town.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed 3 night at this expensive hotel for a meeting. My room faced the side alley. Despite being at the 8th floor, there was such a strong noise starting before 5 AM every morning (trash trucks, and other unidentified loud noises that made the windows rattle) that I could not sleep. I complained to the front desk and they answered that they have no control on the alley noise. No mention of placing sound proof windows.

When I checked out I asked for an electronic bill. They said it was on its way. I went back a few minutes later and told them I had not received the email, and they dismissed saying "not automatic, it will come soon". More than 24 h later, no bill.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank reems0705

Hello Reems0705,
I am so sorry for the way that you were treated at the hotel regarding the issues you were having. Generally, we do not get complaints about noise although there is "normal" city noise being in downtown Chicago. I have emailed you separately to try to get some additional feedback. I hope that you would consider coming back again so that we could change your opinion.