“Awesome Location for Museum Complex, Art Institute and Concerts on Northerly Island”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #38 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just left the Blackstone today and we have had a great stay. I rarely review hotels but this time wanted to share with others.

While a few of the furnishings in the lobby do need to be cleaned or recovered, the architecture and history of this place can't be beat. So many famous people and presidents have been here. If you like history or architecture, you will love it. You step in and just feel like you went back in time. The whole place is interesting. They even had a Frank Gehry wiggle chair on display. We did not use the lounge and ran out of time to eat at Mercat but saw the tapas coming out and they looked good but was $$$$. Used Starbucks each a.m. Very long wait but nice outdoor seating and Starbucks faces Grant Park.

We did not pay the $40 a night to upgrade our room to Grant view. But from RM 1816 we could still see the entire museum complex and Northerly Island stage from our side window. I could sit on the ledge and look out...this made me so happy!! Thank u front desk. Our room was not ready quite due to arriving an hr before check in. No problem. Lou Malnattis is just a five min walk. While we were enjoying a Lou classic pie the front desk called me and said room was ready. nice touch. I booked on hotels.com and prepaid. Check in was smooth. Desk, bellhops and concierge all smiling and friendly. Our room was modern, clean and the king bed very comfy w down pillows and comforter. Even our housekeeper was sweet. Check out via phone took A minute. The Hilton is right next door and has nice lounge too. We self parked down the block to save $. Left car for two days and walked or cabbed with no issues. Really if you don't have physical limitations you can get everywhere walking. (Warning we have had our car tossed and robbed in Chi self park on another visit so lock glove box and leave NOTHING in car.)

This location can not be beat. My husband and i stayed July 4th and 5th for the Dave Matthews Concert on Northerly Island. You step right out of the hotel onto Balbo, cross the bridge and you have a 30 min walk to the venue. It would be the same give or take to Shedd, Adler or Field Museum. You can also walk to soldier field. We chose to walk the 1.4 miles after the concert vs try to park In soldier field lot. Tip...McFettridge and Congress Pkwy were blocked off for the concerts so cab couldn't get right to venue anyways. There were pedicabs u could snag enroute walking that can save some foot fatigue. When walking we always knew which hotel was ours by the distinct architecture up top.

You are right on Michigan Ave. We grabbed Cosi lunch and ate in the Art Institure outdoor garden next to the Henry Moore sculpture. We picnic here with our kids when we visit...such a beautiful area. This hotel location just truly can't be beat if you want to start on the south end of Michigan and shop your way north and enjoy all of the amazing Chicago architecture, Millennium Park and unique stores.

We would definitely stay again. Thanks Blackstone for a cool time.

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

Room Tip: Higher up for more views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mom2sassypants
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Hi mom2Sassypants!
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review. I am so happy that you not only found the hotel to be convenient, but you enjoyed all that it has to offer - especially the awesome architecture and history!
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Blackstone, Autograph Collection

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I made a reservation on 6/30/14 through booking.com. 1st mistake (never use them again)!!! I called the hotel on 7/1/14 to confirm my reservation as I never received a confirmation email from booking.com nor Blackstone. Blackstone told me I didn't t have a reservation. So I let it go. On 7/2/14 my bank account was charged $218.00 and the name of the payee listed on my bank statement was Blackstone. At this point I was understandably pissed. So I again called Blackstone and again told I had no reservation. I was told that I should call booking.com. Long story short booking.com claimed No reservation was made. So today 7/3/14 I go into my bank to have the charges reversed but something said call (Blackstone) one more time. Moraciously a reservation appeared. At this point I no longer want anything to do with Blackstone nor booking.com. Alll I want.is to cancel my reservation for 7/5/14. and I have been told everything from book.com has to do that to Blackstone has the money. While waiting to speak to a supervisor at Blackstone I was put on hold and a new line worker picked up the line and wanted me to reiterate the issue!!!!!!! For Real!!! If this is the service a guest receives before arriving. I PASS!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Deidra M

Hi Deidra,
I am so sorry to read about the situation that you had to live through this past weekend! I understand from our Front Office manager that she was able to work with you and actually unsure that you had a great stay. I'm not sure if this was written before that happened or not, but I would appreciate any additional feedback that you have. Sometimes there are delays between the time that you book on a 3rd party and when they are actually entered into our system.
I look forward to hearing from you,

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed here using Priceline's Name Your Price service and saved a bundle. Staff was VERY friendly and helpful. Lobby is gorgeous, but rooms are small, especially with a King-sized bed. The bathroom in my room was very avant-garde and European-flavored -- stand-up shower with a fixed glass pane rather than a curtain. Great location, convenient to the Red Line train and 3 or 4 Bus lines.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joel R
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Hi Joel,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review! So happy that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to your liking! I hope that you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just got back from a long weekend in Chicago. Had a rather uneven experience at the Blackstone. When we checked in on Saturday evening, the front desk clerk with whom we dealt was uncommunicative, cold and barely looked us in the eye as she recited the opening hours of the coffee shop, health club and bar/restaurant. We didn't exactly feel warmly welcomed! The bellman, on the other hand, deposited our luggage and subsequently remembered us and greeted us warmly every time we saw him. Room was super comfortable and fairly clean, but I agree with some of the other comments on this site about the thin towels. There are also an inadequate number of towels provided for two people - but housekeeping is very quick to bring extras. If you are the kind of people who like to have a nightcap in the lounge of your hotel before turning in, don't stay here. The lounge was empty and closed early when we were there. Probably the most annoying element of our trip was a phone call that we got at 8.50 on Monday morning from the housekeeping staff asking when we were going to be out of our room so that it could be serviced because the housekeeper "didn't want to miss us". She asked when the "do not disturb" hanger was going to be removed from our door. I travel a lot, and that has literally never ever happened to me before! My travelling companion was very put out at having to get out of bed and get dressed on a leisure trip - but we went about a block down Michigan Ave to the right out of the hotel and found a GREAT French bistro called something like MJ (I think it was in the Essex hotel?) for brunch with delicious food and great service that I would highly recommend. The location of the hotel is not bad - it's across from a beautiful park, but we'll stay a little closer to the Mag Mile next time. And hopefully the next time we visit Chicago, we won't get rousted from our beds before 9 am when we're travelling for pleasure!

1  Thank SDS6711

Wow, I am so sorry about your experience with housekeeping! I can assure you that what you experience is NOT standard operating procedure and we will definitely follow up!
I appreciate your candor and glad that you at least found a few things good about the hotel. I hope that you will give us another chance to make a better impression!
Please let me know the next time you come to Chicago!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We took the train for a getaway to Chicago, so we wanted to stay somewhere downtown that was close to the L and bus lines. The Blackstone was excellent. The building itself is gorgeous and is within walking distance to Grant park, many restaurants and mass transit. The amenities are first class and the staff was very helpful. We arrived early, and they stored our luggage (free of charge) so we could go sightseeing unencumbered. One minor thing - the bathroom had a sliding frosted door, with a small gap between the door and the wall, so privacy was limited. Not a big deal because I was traveling with my partner of 12 years, but it could be uncomfortable in some circumstances. Overall, we had an excellent time and could not have asked for a better hotel!

Room Tip: There are rooms overlooking the lake - which we did not have because we booked via Price line and go...

Hi Elizabeth,
thank you so very much for your excellent review! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and thrilled that you thought the staff was helpful.
There are a lot of choices of hotels in Chicago and I am glad you were able to stay here.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

After moving from W hotel at the lakeshore drive, we found the staff super great, the service perfect.
It is across the street from Grant park, 20 minutes south of river, 10 minutes to millinum park and there are several cafes at walking distance, there are nice restaurants walking distance as well.
The lobby is gorgeous, rooms are decent size, they have coffee machine, safe and fridge in room.
The housekeeping is amazing, with first phone call they deliver what you asked for in a few minutes...

Room Tip: It is a little far from the north side, you need to walk 20 minutes to get to the river. If you are...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Barneshi! thank you very much for writing a review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be quite convenient, but especially happy that you thought the staff was outstanding!
I will definitely share your comments with our team. Although the hotel is awesome, it wouldn't be anything without the great group of individuals we have working here!
I hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

My best friend paid for us to stay here for a night. I must say this hotel might be small but it is simple beautiful. Our room wasn't what we asked for we wanted a room with double beds however we ended up with a room with a king bed but it worked out fine since my friend and I are both small women. Lol but we did have a great view. The washroom was so pretty I really like the wallpaper and the shower was amazing it had a great overhead shower jet. Awesome. I would recommend this hotel to friends.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Tammy,
Happy Birthday!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am thrilled that you loved the hotel and enjoyed your birthday! I am sorry that we weren't able to provide a room with two beds, but in the summer, especially, there are more requests for them than what we have! I hope you will return and visit us again soon.