“Extremely Comfortable Room with an Amazing View!”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #36 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My daughter and I arrived in Chicago and were warmly welcomed to the city as soon as we entered the Blackstone. The lobby is beautiful and unique. The desk clerk was enthusiastic and friendly. Upon hearing that it was our first trip to Chicago, she put us in a lake view room on the 14th floor! She then informed us about the Taste of Chicago Festival happening at Grant Park. Our room was absolutely lovely! I have stayed in hotels in many cities/countries and can honestly say that the bed was the most comfortable one of all. The hotel's location was perfect for us. It is a short walk to the Aquarium, Field Museum, Planetarium, Buckingham Fountain, and the Art Institute. Also, the bus (#3) runs continuously up and down Michigan Avenue if you want to visit the Magnificent Mile, from which you can take a free trolley out to Navy Pier. Just around the corner from the hotel is Buddy Guy's Legends (Blues Club). Lou Malnati's Pizza and Yolk (best breakfast EVER!) are each just a block or so away. The hotel has a cool Art Floor that is worth a visit, too. Although we didn't eat at the hotel, we did order room service. We ordered 2 cheeseburgers (that I ordered well done - big mistake) a glass of wine, and a pepsi. This was the only disappointment of the hotel. Each burger was almost $20, wine was $12 and I don't remember the cost of the pepsi. They charged a $5 delivery fee and then tacked on a 15% tip after that (sneaky) bringing the total to over $75. You expect to pay a lot for room service, but I thought that was plain silly. However, the room was fabulous, the staff extremely helpful, and the overall experience wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view. You do hear the street noise a bit (even on the 14th floor!), but it's wort...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Hi K2Boyer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I will absolutely share your comments with the team, especially the Front Desk Staff as they work hard to try and exceed the expectations of our guests! I am so glad that you enjoyed a warm welcome as well as the fabulous hotel room. I am sorry that room service left something to be desired - and we will take your comments to heart!
I hope that you will come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We arrived for early check-in fully expecting the two pricey lake-view rooms we booked and paid in advance for. However, we were given only one such room with the explanation that the lake-view rooms got overbooked through third-party vendors so they have to ration them. For the second room, we were given a "deluxe" room which was at best marginally larger than the lake-view room and poor compensation for this breach of contract.

While I understand that third-party retailing can result in overbooking, I find fault with two of their policies in this regard.

First, the rationing policy should be first come, first serve, not take one away from those who book multiple rooms. If I arrive late and not get the room, I can blame myself. If I arrive early and see my paid-for room held for someone arriving later, I can rightly blame the hotel.

Second, if you deny a paid-for lake view upgrade to someone, offer an adequate monetary refund or other compensation. You certainly don't want to give a "deluxe" room to someone who has a lake-view room to compare it to.

Other than that, I found the hotel adequate but nothing special. The lobby is small. I couldn't get a 3G or 4G signal on my smart phone while in the hotel and Wi-Fi costs extra. And of course, there's the sliding door on the bathroom that offers no privacy. I ran the water while using the commode as a courtesy to my room mate.

1  Thank david a
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Hi David A,
I am so sorry for the experience that you recently had at the hotel. I am contacted you under separate cover so that I can get some additional details and try to follow up so similar things don't happen in the future.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed 4 nights in June for the ITU triathlon across the street in Grant Park. The members of the staff were great despite the bikes and other gear all over the lobby for a few days. The room was small, but the fridge was an unexpected bonus. Bed was great. Will definitely be back for the 2015 event.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StartSlowAndEaseOff

Hi StartSlowand EaseOff ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and especially happy that you found the staff to be great! Congrats on the triathalon and we look forward to seeing you next year!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The hotel is located about 1 mile south of the magnificent mile. We had a room that looked out on lake Michigan and had a spectacular view. Although the hotel is old it as has been nicely updated.
The executive lounge leaves a lot to be desired. It is very small and decorated in such a way that we left feeling that it was dirty. It is also laid out very poorly. Small tables with little alcoves that you sit in which doesn't provide for an easy flow of conversation if you are with a number of people. The ballroom is stunning. The hotel is within walking distance of the Institute of Art of Chicago which was nice for us.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BonVoyage555
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hello BonVoyage555 -
We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall! You are absolutely right - the hotel is old, built in 1908 and beautifully restored in 2008!
I hope that you will visit with us again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We requested and received a room with a water view. We had a lovely view of the water and Grant Park.... Got some amazing window photos of sunrise and sunset over the water. The location of the hotel was ideal for the Taste of Chicago events at Grant Park. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant; however, the food provided at the concierge room was tasty. That room was very tiny and did not provide seating for enough people. The private booths were quite cozy and nice. We had breakfast in the Art Room and Crystal Ballroom through our event and the food and service were excellent. Our room was spacious enough but the desk chair was directly in front of the TV and had to be moved in order to view the TV from the bed. As others have stated, the sliding door to the bathroom provides little privacy and you better have all locks engaged on the door to hallway or maid will enter after slight taps on door.... and if you are behind that open sliding bathroom door, oops! They should leave extra towels on shelves in the bathroom. We had problems with refrigerator.. First time we complained it was not working/cooling and it was replaced with one much too noisy... That one was replaced by one too large to fit in the cabinet designed for refrigerator and was left positioned on the floor area... Not inside the cabinet...(The floor space was already too crowded with the desk chair that had to be shoved to the side to watch TV). We did not complain a third time and left it alone. We did have to tell front desk that someone's tray of food was in the hallway when we arrived and remained for two days. Housekeeping should have taken that and the broken glass left by another tray immediately without a guest having to point out what they were walking by. Although we liked the location and view, I am not certain we would select this particular hotel on a future visit.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Taihosan
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Hello Taihosan!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am so very sorry that we didn't exceed your expectations! The situation with the refrigerator is simply unacceptable. I assure you that I will follow up and see what the problem was as well as the problem with the room service tray. I have followed up with you under separate cover to try to get some additional information so that we can do our due diligence. I wish that you would give us another chance to make an amazing impression on you! Please contact me the next time you visit Chicago.
thanks so much,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The negative selections does not reflect management at all, this is for property owner or corporate.

The room: I wanted and paid for a view room facing Grant Park and the Lake. View was breathtaking on the 14th floor. The layout of this room was noticeably awkward and not functional. No dresser draws. There was a jewelry looking high two draw thing with a padded slot and mirror that was in the hallway soon as you walked in. The marble floor was a nice touch. The waterfall shower head nice however the glass half door was too short allowing the spray from taking a shower to fall to the floor. The TV sat on the desk with the chair directly in front of it. The bed was not comfortable at all. I'm not sure what the padding was but it was horrible, to include the pillows. Our mini fridge never got cold so we used the sink, filled with ice to keep our beverages cold. The decorations/style/motif was all over the place, nothing match, it was like they threw two or three centuries of interior design together, this was throughout the hotel as well, especially the lobby.

Now these eye catching, brow raising items does not make this a bad place. The service was wonderful. I believe the cost of my room was the view and view only, because I have been in smaller properties whose comfort and amenities topped this.

I visit Chicago every year and next year I will not stay at this property. Personal choice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hi KLB -thank you very much for taking the time to write a review! We sure appreciate your feedback and I'm personally thrilled that you found the service to be wonderful.
I'm sorry you didn't love the décor - it is obviously a historic hotel with beautifully restored spaces coupled with some more modern, contemporary touches. Like you mentioned - its a personal choice but sure wish that you would visit us again.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I booked the Renaissance Blackstone Chicago hotel through Priceline for $110 a night for 7-9 July. I called the hotel on the morning of 7 July and found out that I only get 1 king bed for the Priceline room. I needed a room with two beds because I was traveling with my Wife and two kids. Luckily, Victoria Otte (Guest Services Manager) was able to help me. She was able to get us a room with two queen beds with a lake view for the same price. The room was nice and comfortable. The views of the lake, Grant Park and Buckingham Fountain were marvelous. This enabled my family and I to have a very enjoyable Chicago vacation. Thanks Mrs. Otte!

Room Tip: Choose a lake view room.
1  Thank dlgslg

Hello DLGSLG,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am glad that you enjoyed the property and very pleased that we were able to accommodate your requests for a room with two beds. I hope that you will come back and visit us again soon.