“Amazing location for a wedding/reception!”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #37 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We attended a wedding at The Blackstone and we were very impressed with the service, organization and overall ambience! What a beautiful location for a wedding, and a very unique and elegant experience! The entire evening took place on multiple floors and in various rooms -- and I was highly impressed with the organization and efficiency, not to mention the set up of each new designated area we were guided to throughout the evening. It had a sophistication and charm that's unparalleled to anything I've ever experienced. It was by far the best, most impressive wedding and reception I've ever attended!

We stayed in a Club Room on the 22nd floor facing the Lake. The room was quite small, but very clean, very modern and perfect for our stay. If you would like to save on parking, I would utilize the cozy lot next to the hotel. It is an uncovered parking lot (and a bit tight when full or near capacity), but it's only $40 for 24 hours and you can pre-pay (just be sure to leave your parking receipt visible inside your car on the dash.)

It's close to the Art Institute and about a 15 minute walk or so to The Field Museum. (If interested in shopping on the Mag Mile, however, I would recommend staying on North Michigan Ave.)

Wonderful experience. Awesome wedding and reception. Very impressed overall and would recommend to anyone looking to have a gorgeous, unique wedding experience that is sure to impress!!

• Stayed: July 2014
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Hi BeachyKeen,
I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Blackstone and that the wedding you attended was a memorable one! We take great pride in the fabulous weddings we are able to host and love to help couples make amazing memories! Our beautiful historic hotel lends itself to weddings and the interesting and unique spaces add to the charm.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We hope that you will visit us again soon.
Kim C

Write a ReviewReviews (2,057)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. Room was not get clean, dirty towels were left in bathroom, and toiletries were not new. Not sure what housekeeping did. Furthermore, everything thing, except the ballroom, feels very old, tired or dated.

Given that this is a four-star hotel, we were certain additional amenities; such as a free newspaper delivered to the room was not provided.

As an aside, left our steamer in the room and once back home, contacted housekeeping and left a message - never received a call back. Called again and was directed to another department manager - again never received a return call. Finally, on principal, contacted the hotel several days ago, asking to speak to the the General Manager - again no return call.

The steamer isn't a critical item, however, the Blackstone's Hotel lack of customer service and professionalism is and their lack of cleanliness is certainly something to take into consideration.

Room Tip: It's a shame that the services provided and the lack of cleanliness are an issue, because this h...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hi Manhattan Beach,
I am soooo sorry that no one has gotten back to you yet! I am definitely checking into why in order to assure that similar situations do not recur in the future! Cleanliness of guest rooms is generally something that we pride ourselves on so I can assure you that I will be looking into it!
Please let me know the next time you come to Chicago so we can try to make it up to you.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My daughter and I arrived in Chicago and were warmly welcomed to the city as soon as we entered the Blackstone. The lobby is beautiful and unique. The desk clerk was enthusiastic and friendly. Upon hearing that it was our first trip to Chicago, she put us in a lake view room on the 14th floor! She then informed us about the Taste of Chicago Festival happening at Grant Park. Our room was absolutely lovely! I have stayed in hotels in many cities/countries and can honestly say that the bed was the most comfortable one of all. The hotel's location was perfect for us. It is a short walk to the Aquarium, Field Museum, Planetarium, Buckingham Fountain, and the Art Institute. Also, the bus (#3) runs continuously up and down Michigan Avenue if you want to visit the Magnificent Mile, from which you can take a free trolley out to Navy Pier. Just around the corner from the hotel is Buddy Guy's Legends (Blues Club). Lou Malnati's Pizza and Yolk (best breakfast EVER!) are each just a block or so away. The hotel has a cool Art Floor that is worth a visit, too. Although we didn't eat at the hotel, we did order room service. We ordered 2 cheeseburgers (that I ordered well done - big mistake) a glass of wine, and a pepsi. This was the only disappointment of the hotel. Each burger was almost $20, wine was $12 and I don't remember the cost of the pepsi. They charged a $5 delivery fee and then tacked on a 15% tip after that (sneaky) bringing the total to over $75. You expect to pay a lot for room service, but I thought that was plain silly. However, the room was fabulous, the staff extremely helpful, and the overall experience wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view. You do hear the street noise a bit (even on the 14th floor!), but it's wort...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hi K2Boyer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I will absolutely share your comments with the team, especially the Front Desk Staff as they work hard to try and exceed the expectations of our guests! I am so glad that you enjoyed a warm welcome as well as the fabulous hotel room. I am sorry that room service left something to be desired - and we will take your comments to heart!
I hope that you will come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We arrived for early check-in fully expecting the two pricey lake-view rooms we booked and paid in advance for. However, we were given only one such room with the explanation that the lake-view rooms got overbooked through third-party vendors so they have to ration them. For the second room, we were given a "deluxe" room which was at best marginally larger than the lake-view room and poor compensation for this breach of contract.

While I understand that third-party retailing can result in overbooking, I find fault with two of their policies in this regard.

First, the rationing policy should be first come, first serve, not take one away from those who book multiple rooms. If I arrive late and not get the room, I can blame myself. If I arrive early and see my paid-for room held for someone arriving later, I can rightly blame the hotel.

Second, if you deny a paid-for lake view upgrade to someone, offer an adequate monetary refund or other compensation. You certainly don't want to give a "deluxe" room to someone who has a lake-view room to compare it to.

Other than that, I found the hotel adequate but nothing special. The lobby is small. I couldn't get a 3G or 4G signal on my smart phone while in the hotel and Wi-Fi costs extra. And of course, there's the sliding door on the bathroom that offers no privacy. I ran the water while using the commode as a courtesy to my room mate.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank david a
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Hi David A,
I am so sorry for the experience that you recently had at the hotel. I am contacted you under separate cover so that I can get some additional details and try to follow up so similar things don't happen in the future.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed 4 nights in June for the ITU triathlon across the street in Grant Park. The members of the staff were great despite the bikes and other gear all over the lobby for a few days. The room was small, but the fridge was an unexpected bonus. Bed was great. Will definitely be back for the 2015 event.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StartSlowAndEaseOff

Hi StartSlowand EaseOff ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and especially happy that you found the staff to be great! Congrats on the triathalon and we look forward to seeing you next year!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The hotel is located about 1 mile south of the magnificent mile. We had a room that looked out on lake Michigan and had a spectacular view. Although the hotel is old it as has been nicely updated.
The executive lounge leaves a lot to be desired. It is very small and decorated in such a way that we left feeling that it was dirty. It is also laid out very poorly. Small tables with little alcoves that you sit in which doesn't provide for an easy flow of conversation if you are with a number of people. The ballroom is stunning. The hotel is within walking distance of the Institute of Art of Chicago which was nice for us.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BonVoyage555
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hello BonVoyage555 -
We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall! You are absolutely right - the hotel is old, built in 1908 and beautifully restored in 2008!
I hope that you will visit with us again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We requested and received a room with a water view. We had a lovely view of the water and Grant Park.... Got some amazing window photos of sunrise and sunset over the water. The location of the hotel was ideal for the Taste of Chicago events at Grant Park. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant; however, the food provided at the concierge room was tasty. That room was very tiny and did not provide seating for enough people. The private booths were quite cozy and nice. We had breakfast in the Art Room and Crystal Ballroom through our event and the food and service were excellent. Our room was spacious enough but the desk chair was directly in front of the TV and had to be moved in order to view the TV from the bed. As others have stated, the sliding door to the bathroom provides little privacy and you better have all locks engaged on the door to hallway or maid will enter after slight taps on door.... and if you are behind that open sliding bathroom door, oops! They should leave extra towels on shelves in the bathroom. We had problems with refrigerator.. First time we complained it was not working/cooling and it was replaced with one much too noisy... That one was replaced by one too large to fit in the cabinet designed for refrigerator and was left positioned on the floor area... Not inside the cabinet...(The floor space was already too crowded with the desk chair that had to be shoved to the side to watch TV). We did not complain a third time and left it alone. We did have to tell front desk that someone's tray of food was in the hallway when we arrived and remained for two days. Housekeeping should have taken that and the broken glass left by another tray immediately without a guest having to point out what they were walking by. Although we liked the location and view, I am not certain we would select this particular hotel on a future visit.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Taihosan
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Hello Taihosan!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am so very sorry that we didn't exceed your expectations! The situation with the refrigerator is simply unacceptable. I assure you that I will follow up and see what the problem was as well as the problem with the room service tray. I have followed up with you under separate cover to try to get some additional information so that we can do our due diligence. I wish that you would give us another chance to make an amazing impression on you! Please contact me the next time you visit Chicago.
thanks so much,