We stayed at the Blackstone in early August to go to the Lollapalooza Music Festival and to visit area colleges. We were really blown away by all aspects of the hotel (except for reservations but I will get to that later). The service in the hotel was really topnotch and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Room service went out of their way to accommodate us, when we arrived after 10 p.m. and required vegan choices for my daughter. The food was excellent in both the Mercat Restaurant and room service (which I often try to avoid). The staff did an incredible job as the hotel was completely booked and it was very hectic for the first three days we were here. Even our housekeeping service was friendly and accommodating. It did appear that everyone that worked here really enjoyed their job and was interested in making sure you were happy. The rooms were very comfortable. Plenty of space and well laid out. The beds were extremely comfortable. The bathrooms were spacious and we loved the walk in shower (no bathtub). We were also surprised that the rooms were pretty quiet. No noise from the street but we could definitely hear the music festival although this didn't bother us as it ended at 10 p.m. every night. The weather was brutally hot - high 90's but our room and the rest of the hotel was always nice and cool.
The location is good if you are interested in going to the museums and aquarium as well as spending time in the parks. The restaurants within walking distance were somewhat limited.
The one area that we had a problem was with reservations. I requested a double room (two beds) connected to a king room. I was later sent an email letting me know that my request was not available, although I did not realize this at first as I thought it was just a confirmation. Once I realized this, I called the hotel back and was told that I should call two weeks before arrival and was led to believe that this would be possible. I called two weeks out and was told to call back a few days before arrival. When I did this, I was told to call back two days before arrival and when I did this I was told to call the day before and then the day of. During this time, not once was I told that there are very few rooms in the hotel that have doubles (I think it is one per floor) and that the likelihood was not good that one would be available. In addition to that, these are also the only rooms that connect. We ended up with two rooms each with a king that did not connect. This definitely effected our trip as my husband and I each had to share a room and a bed with one of our children. In the end, the accommodations and service made us glad that we stayed here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Blackstone in downtown Chicago is a storied architectural icon rooted in the city's legendary past, but newly updated to deliver a distinguished hospitality experience for today's discerning traveler. Previously known as the Renaissance Blackstone, this recently revitalized destination is blooming as a point of cultural and creative discovery on the Cultural Mile. The Blackstone, where epic history meets a clever contemporary attitude. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Blackstone, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Hotel Chicago
- Renaissance Hotel Blackstone
- Renaissance Chicago
- Chicago Renaissance