“Excellent food, limited menu”

Table, Donkey and Stick
Reserve with OpenTable
Table, Donkey and Stick is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #870 of 10,802 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Northwest Side
Cross street: Fairfield
Transit: The restaurant is under 1/2 mile from the California and Western stops on the Blue Line. The restaurant is also accessible via the Armitage and California buses.
Description: Bonsoiree is an intimate 28 seat Fine Dining BYOB featuring French/Japanese Contemporary cuisine owned by Chef Shin Thompson. Ask about the beautiful outdoor patio that seats up to 20 people (weather permitting). Bonsoiree features eight and 13 Course tasting menus.
Reviewed 25 September 2017

The food quality is top notch, with interesting flavor combinations (snails in smashed potatoes would not have occurred to me--but it works). Not a ton of entree options (probably the result of emphasis on fresh, local ingredients) but the duck was excellent. Decent wine list, but a ding for the pour size on wines by the glass--about 1/2 of what I'd expect. It's a small space, and has a very nice vibe (and some nice outdoor space).

Reviewed 13 September 2017

We picked this restaurant to celebrate a milestone birthday. The Google maps got us to the destination yet I didn't find the place easily (mistook a storefront down the street and had to really look to find it).We decided to sit outside to take advantage of a nice September evening. We ordered a couple of glasses of wine and selected our dinner. The courses came to the table at a nice relaxed pace so as not to feel rushed. The outdoor seating made for a nice quite / romantic dinner. We both had a great dinner and finished with two delicious deserts; homemade chocolate-cherry-black pepper ice-cream and a pear - bourbon pot de cream. I love finding these out of the way places that have such great food! I would definitely go again.

Reviewed 9 March 2017

I wish I could remember our bartenders name, I do know she moves around a lot and her boyfriend is in the kitchen, anyways, she was fantastic. Really knew her stuff. We just popped in for a drink and quick bite. The duck mousse is out of this world good. Perfectly seasoned. The drinks were well crafted and creatively named. Will definitely be back soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2016

Casual dining with great food, great wine and drink choices, and excellent service!!!
Four of us sat outside in the back for an early dinner. Great server explained the approach with everything from starters to medium to large shareable plates as well as some mains. We chose to share everything and it was worth it. Great charcuterie to start followed by golden beet and raspberry salad dish. Other dishes included sliced ribeye and tasty fish dish. Reservations highly recommended...place fills up quickly as the evening progresses. There is also bar service and some outdoor seating in the front.
The emphasis on local sourcing and sharing plates worked quite well. Highly recommend Table, Donkey and Stick.

Reviewed 13 June 2016

Lovely staff - helpful and attentive. Great little patio in back - especially great if you don't have a reservation! My son picked this place for the charcuterie, and I believe he was happy! He had schweinkopf with pickled asparagus and sage;beef tongue pastrami with candied coffee bean and sauerkraut; and the duck rillettes (shredded duck). My wife and I had the duck mousse, the lamb currywurst (so flavorful!), a strawberry and beet salad, and the chevre bubespitzle (like gnocchi, with bacon and peas). Nice beer list and in all a very pleasant evening!

1  Thank smdds