“Not what I expected”

Ranked #145 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I was stranded in Chicago due to bad weather , I never heard of this hotel . Lobby and outside looked nice , but when I got in my room I was shocked !! The bed was not fluffy and comfortable .. There was one thin blanket on bed and it was a little dusty !! The bathroom was remodeled and not bad but it had a old box heating system on wall and I could hear everything going on in the next room and they where not being loud .. On a nice note the door men where so nice and helpful and the the print desk was pretty nice .. I unfortunately would not want to stay here again ... Sorry to say I was not really happy !

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Wenswheels
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Wenswheels,
We regret to learn of the travel delays you encountered during your visit to Chicago! Our city endured some extreme weather in the last couple of weeks. We regret to learn if our guest room accommodations fell short of meeting expectations. Please know that our team will do everything in their power to ensure that our guests are comfortable, and hope that you communicated these inconveniences to our staff while on property. If given another opportunity, we hope to welcome you back and regain your confidence in us.
Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

The location of this hotel is really good. My friend and I walked everywhere which was very convenient. The room itself wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible. There was only two of us so we couldn't complain.

What really annoyed me about this hotel though was the staff, in particular the staff on the front desk. The girls on front desk were not welcoming at all, they weren't friendly, they didn't even appear happy to be there. Whilst checking in they gave us no information in regards to the hotel and it's facilities, just our room number. My friend asked if there was free wifi and all we got as a response was "no" and then the lady pointed to a sign on the front desk in regards to the wifi. We just didn't feel comfortable. We preferred to go out in the freezing cold then be in our hotel. We didn't even feel comfortable asking questions because no one came across as friendly or welcoming.

I wouldn't stay here again. The location is very good especially for the price you pay, but I think I rather spend more money and actually feel welcomed.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear AdventureTime3,
Our staff does their absolute best to ensure guests leave satisfied after their stay, and we're sorry to hear if this was not the case for you. The type of service you encountered is completely unacceptable and is never our standard. Rest assured, this will be addressed with our front office manager and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. It saddens us to hear that you will not be returning to us in the future, but hope that you find a hotel that exceeds expectations. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for missing the mark during your stay.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The valet (who we had to go find) was very friendly and helpful. However, I did not feel welcome by the front desk staff at all, they were just going through the motions, and got my reservation confused with someone elses. Room was small, for our family of 4. The furnishings were scratched and damaged, some exposed wires were in the room. The beds were not comfortable. I wanted to know some things about the hotel; i.e. how do I hook into internet? Is there breakfast offered or included? Are there any fitness facilities, roof access, etc, so I looked for an in room directory of the hotel. There wasn't one, so I asked at the front desk. Their response was to give me a list of local restaurants and say that they would send a directory to the room which was never received. I didn't find out until I checked out that I could have had free internet (instead of paying $14.95/day) as a Choice Privileges member, but no details of the hotel or it's services were explained at check-in. For a supposed higher end hotel, I expect friendlier and more detailed service.

Room Tip: The higher the better, to relieve the street noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear travellin' C,
We would like to acknowledge that certain things did not go well during your recent stay, and for that we truly apologize. The type of situation you encountered with our team is not the level of service we pride ourselves upon here, and will be addressed immediately. We can assure you that our front office team is usually on top of it, and that your situation was a rare one – one that we hope you will allow us to improve upon if given another opportunity in the future.
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a very convenient location central to the downtown shopping district. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. We stayed in a junior suite which consisted of a main common area, a small bedroom and a bath. While it would be tight for more than two people it was perfect for us. Not modern, spacious, or a particularly great view of anything the room does provide a comfortable resting place that is pretty quiet. A stay in this location is probably about much more than the hotel room you stay in after all. We parked in a lot about a half a block away for $35 and felt safe everywhere we went. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank The8racer
Dear The8racer,
We greatly appreciate your wonderful recap of the Inn of Chicago! You truly cannot beat our central location, friendly service, and comfortable guest rooms. The Junior Suite is a one of our best rooms, and we are glad you enjoyed the unique layout. It gives us great pleasure to hear that you will be returning to us again in the near future!
Happy New Year,
ANN ARBOR
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We booked a room via Hotwire where you can choose the number of adults but not the number of beds and don't know until booking what hotel you are going to get. We needed two beds, so at check-in we asked for that. We were told we could have a room with one queen bed or there was a surcharge of $20 per night for a room with two beds. With minor grumbling we paid the extra charge (one queen bed being out of question for us) and had a decent stay. Back home, we checked the hotel web site and found to our surprise that the price difference between the two room types is only $10/night. Pulling money out of a customer's pocket by doubling the price differential and making use of the fact that the customer has limited choice at check-in time is very dishonest. I can accept a slightly shabby room, but not this kind of money-gouging. I will surely AVOID THIS PLACE!

Room Tip: lots of ambulance noise- higher-up rooms are best.
Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear willyAnnArbor,
We pride ourselves on our transparency here, and it is never our intention to take monetary advantage of a guest. Depending on the guest room availability and occupancy levels here, the price of an upgrade will vary. This is not a fixed price, and regret if this caused any inconvenience. Please be assured of our best efforts to welcome you back and regain your confidence in us.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 1 January 2014

You should have the flexibility to change the date of your Groupon. We were snowed in and couldn't make our reservation but the hotel couldn't be bothered to switch the dates for two weeks from now even though their website clearly showed many rooms available for that night. Can't fault people for the weather!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear HMAnnArbor,
Thank you for expressing your concerns with us. We regret if you were unable to change the stay dates of your Groupon offer. Unfortunately, due to our contractual policies with Groupon, our hotel is unable to change the dates of a guest reservation. We apologize if this caused any major inconvenience, and recommend contacting Groupon's customer service team to discuss this issue and find an alternative solution.
Burlington, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We were in town to see my beloved Kings play the Blackhawks and needed a place to sleep for the night. We encountered no negative issues at all. Check in was easy, the beds were very comfortable and everything you need is within walking distance. The only thing to complain about was the parking prices. Be prepared. But ever since Rahm became mayor parking is a joke!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple